Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Brian's running contest.....Winner announced on both contests

brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
OK as some of you know my wife has Multiple Sclerosis. MS is a horrible disease that has no known cure and in many cases the drugs used to fight it don't work long term. The effects of MS are all over the place ranging from blindness to lack of motor control to death. There is no rhyme or reason why MS attacks who it attacks, but MS attacks more women than men by a 4-1 ratio, and generally attacks these women at a young age.

My wife was diagnosed with MS when she was 27 years old and probably had the disease for about 2 years prior. She went from a relatively healthy mother of 2 who had just lost a ton of weight so that she could start playing soccer (her lifelong love) again to not being able to walk longer than 200 feet without a break and walking with a cane within a year of diagnosis. She has good times and bad, but for the most part her MS is under control.

So onto the fun part. For the past few years my fat ass (6' 240) has been running in the MS Society Muck Ruckus and i am doing it again this year. The course is a 5 mile long run with over 40 obstacles including huge cargo nets, mud pits and even awesome mud lakes where you have to go under logs to get through:

(Yeah that's me)

In advance of this run i am trying to raise money for the cause, and that is where the contests comes in.

I am going to do 2 contests

1. Pick the time it will take my team of 8 to complete the course for a 5 pack

2. Click this link to Donate to my Participant Page at the National MS Society page (1 entry for every $1 donated and be sure you note what your username is on the donation so i know who donated)

This one will be for a filled medium flat rate box. It will include cigars, swag, alcohol....basically whatever i can fit in there for the donations

Contest will run until the event starts on Saturday, July 12, 2014.

Leaderboard:

Chris Olds: 100 entries (thanks to chris for getting this kicked off when he found the page on his own)

No_One21: 50 entries

Tyland: 50 entries

CHemnitz: 35 entries

Matkn293: 50 entries

Sherm: 50 entries

Glock: 35

Royln: 100

Bigshizza: 35

ejgorman: 35

Comments

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will donate a prize pack for second place!!
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Working on the donation now. I'll guess 50 minutes.

Edit: Forgot about the whole mud and obstacles thing and was thinking just 5mi. I say 1hr 50min
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to guess 1hr 27 minutes. I will get on the donations page as well.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    thanks guys!!!
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    1 hour 41 mins. I will also go to the donation page. Good cause - Way to go, Brian.
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    2 hours 9 minutes 40 seconds is my guess.

Great cause!
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Done. Donation made sir.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    Got you covered Brother. I say 2 hrs 44mn even. Good Luck.
    Tyland64:
    Got you covered Brother. I say 2 hrs 44mn even. Good Luck.
    thanks Luke I really appreciate it!
    matkn293:
    Done. Donation made sir.
    thanks mark your help is appreciated!!
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Donation made.
    Chemnitz:
    Donation made.
    thanks bud my wife appreciates it!
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I joined a team for this at work but then nobody followed through and the team fell apart. Little bummed about that. I will try and get a donation to you when the funds become available.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 mile run through 40 obstacles? 2 hr 34 min. Donation made.
    rsherman24:
    5 mile run through 40 obstacles? 2 hr 34 min. Donation made.
    thanks sherm, i am overwhelmed with everyone's support!
    bert873:
    I joined a team for this at work but then nobody followed through and the team fell apart. Little bummed about that. I will try and get a donation to you when the funds become available.
    that sucks man. Did you already pay your registration? If so we can always add you to our team and you could run with us. Thanks for the thought on the donation, but i understand if money is tight....just make your guess on the time. Getting the word out about MS is enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Brian, is it possible to donate after the fact? I'm a tad tight (daughter wrecked car and her tuition is due) but I'll have some cash soon. Good luck on the race.
    james40:
    Brian, is it possible to donate after the fact? I'm a tad tight (daughter wrecked car and her tuition is due) but I'll have some cash soon. Good luck on the race.
    i am sure the donation page will be open for a while. We'll figure it out. Thanks for your support though!
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    bert873:
    that sucks man. Did you already pay your registration? If so we can always add you to our team and you could run with us. Thanks for the thought on the donation, but i understand if money is tight....just make your guess on the time. Getting the word out about MS is enough.
    My guess is 2 hours 33 min. I hadn't registered yet when they backed out. One of my wife's ex step moms who she still considers a mom has MS so this hits close to home.
    BUMP......you guys all need to enter by putting in the time it takes for me to run the thing. I am going to do 2 prizes a 5 pack for that and the big prize for the donations.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before I take a guess....have you been training?? HAHA
    smoke em if you got em:
    yep, i am down to about 235 (ran it at 270 last year) and have been running at least 2 miles every other day. Not gonna give you the time it takes me to run a mile though...that would be too easy.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    smoke em if you got em:
    yep, i am down to about 235 (ran it at 270 last year) and have been running at least 2 miles every other day. Not gonna give you the time it takes me to run a mile though...that would be too easy.
    That's cool home skillet.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey my Fatkid, just donated bro, just keep your clothes on please, no 1 needs to see that :) My guess since Reds vs Cards have played a total of 2068 games head to head, so lets go with 2 hours and 8 minutes. Good Luck Brother
    THanks Glock/Ray.....whoever the hell you are! I really appreciate it, and you happened to make your donation on my wife's birthday!
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Bump
    thanks for all the support so far, but i also want people to enter in the first contest. Just getting the word out about MS is important and getting everyone involved is one way to do that. Please make sure to enter even if you don't want to/can't donate.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 hours and 27 minutes.... Followed closely by a pulled hammy and lots of beer for comfort !
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    Bump for a great cause!
    I'm really beginning to take this personally.....why you guys no want to join my contest?

if you didn't read the edited first post:

I am going to do 2 contests

1. Pick the time it will take my team of 8 to complete the course for a 5 pack

2. Click this link to Donate to my Participant Page at the National MS Society page (1 entry for every $1 donated and be sure you note what your username is on the donation so i know who donated)

This one will be for a filled medium flat rate box. It will include cigars, swag, alcohol....basically whatever i can fit in there for the donations

Please take the time to pick a time it will take me to run a 5 mile course.......and if you are so inclined make a donation.