Home Non Cigar Related

If you're a First Responder

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't know how you do it.
This morning I was first on scene to a fatal accident.
Actually, I was 2 vehicles behind it.
I had to call dispatch and get fire, medix and police and check everything.
How it does not consume you, I have no idea.
I ended going home at 3:00 this afternoon.

So my hat's off to you folks.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Here here, I couldn't agree more.
  • e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
    First Responders are special people for sure, so are good citizens. Thanks for doing what you did today.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for being there Tony!! Hats off to you brother
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    e6specialk:
    First Responders are special people for sure, so are good citizens. Thanks for doing what you did today.
    Well, while I'm not a first responder, it is my job to be a responder, so I can't say I was a good citizen.
    But normally, I don't get that up close and personal with it.
    Today was closer than I care for.

Today I got to see what the first responders have to deal with.
    Things like the gruesome part of it, dealing with public getting pissed because the road is closed, dealing with people getting in your way and stupid people trying to drive through barricades.
    Coordinating things, dealing with angry public and trying to maintain some semblance of things until the police show up is not something I would want to deal with on a regular basis.
    Because at an accident, if you are the only one there with the flashy lights and all, people have to bug you every 2 seconds.

To say the least, it was a real eye opener.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 kinds of people in an emergency situation.

1. The ones running around screaming for someone to do something.

2. The ones who do something.

3. The ones who go looking for something to do.

First responders, EMTs or how ever they are referred to are an amazing group of people who deserve our respect and our thanks.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    The first responders we have here are great, our community is lucky to have them. Their response time is fast, usually someone in his pick up ambulance just behind them. Kind of a small town most of them are volunteers. Well trained, very professional, had to use them quite a bit a while back. Hero's really. My company has a BBQ every year and first responders, firemen and EMT's all eat for free too.
  • Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    If you need someone to talk to im here for you. The way us first responders deal with this and stress is with humor. We usually get called to working house fires for what we call FAST which stands for Firefighter Assist and Search Team. we are there encase a firefighter is in trouble. I cannot tell you how many fires i have gotten off the truck laughing due to us telling jokes on the way there as we are getting ready to get to work. Thank you for stopping and helping out. The part about the public that pisses me off the most is that people are more likely to whip out there phone and take photos then help out. I read this story and it really bothered me (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/25685403/officer-recalls-fatal-hwy-67-crash-is-appalled-at-witnesses-lack-of-help). for you to stop and help us out is really a big help not alot of people do that these days. the ones i saw the most at the last fatal i was at was at which was early this month was people who were on the way home from the local area hospitals which helped us out a lot. I once again thank you for stopping and im here for you if you want to talk.
  • TexvetTexvet Posts: 39
    I agree - Humor and training are what get you though it. That, and knowing that you make a difference when it counts.
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Texvet:
    I agree - Humor and training are what get you though it. That, and knowing that you make a difference when it counts.
    And after 17 years you just get desensitized to a lot of it as well. Of course there are always some that stick with you and you never forget.

I just got back from vacation but in the month of June we made 17 fatality calls. Everything from the unimaginable 11 year old and a 14 year old boy hanging them self’s to having too many birthdays. Hard to believe you can get used to seeing what is out there and I wouldn’t want anyone to have to see what I have, but as they say “$hit Happens” and the world keeps spinning.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    It takes a certain kind of person to be a first responder, but it affects everyone differently. I've seen accidents major and minor, I've seen death and disfigurement and broken bones protruding from skin. Most of this came by pure happenstance. I couldn't do it - I have a hard enough time treating and losing elderly patients on a regular basis - but my hat is off to those that can. Heroes, every single one of you!
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    broken bones protruding from skin.
    One day, I need to tell the story about the first time I ever saw this.^^ Its actually a very funny story about a wet behind the ears rookie who freaked out the patient but was able to cover his tracks.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Great thread and as someone who has worked as an Editor at a News Station my hat really does go off to them. Even just seeing some of the footage that never got to air really could get to you so can only imagine having to actually be there. As already stated there are far too many people that just don;t appreciate what First Responders have to go through and deal with and it really is a shame so many people are like that.

One thing that always bothers me too is to see how so many of the First Responders from September 11th have been treated by our own Government and basically just forgotten. Unfortunately as a society we throw the word Hero around too lightly and end up looking up to the wrong people like Celebrities when true heroes like this get pushed to the side. Really does make you wonder what's wrong with people.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29