Home General Discussion

Nub

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Let the countdown begin. Cigar.com will be the first retailer in the country to have these. They will be available for sale this Monday. This is one of the most anticipated releases we have seen in a long time. The cigars are made by Oliva and fantastic. Be on the lookout on Monday. www.nubcigar.com

Comments

• handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    Yes!!! Been looking forward to these since I read about them in a catalog or newsletter.....cant wait..way to be cigar.com
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
  • very nice! alex: what are they retailing for as singles?
  • ChevyChevy Posts: 61
    these should be quite interesting... Alex have you tried one of them yet?
  • That looks amazing. When are they coming out and how much?
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    I guess I'll need to talk to Tim on Monday.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Hey everybody just a newb and I went ahead and purchased the sampler pack can't wait to try em
  • nailsnails Posts: 18

1st- over priced.

2nd- how interesting it's your No. 1 cigar.

• jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    doesnt seem overpriced to me.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    I'm with jihiggs, the price point seems fine to me.
    nails... i can see how you would say they are over priced.
    looks like half a cigar to me too.

However, these cigars are top notch. THere is some seriously good tobacco in them. some argue that they start at the "sweet spot" that happens about half way through a toro or a churchill.

I'm not sure if that is true or not ( i have yet to try one) but it wouldnt surprise me.

i guess one could argue that the sweet spot on this cigar would be further down. The lighting proscess is hard to get down for some and this could cause it to burn a bit hot at the beginning. It may need time to settle and this may push the sweet spot down a little.

iduno... ill have to try one.
  • carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    Just got done ordering mine. Can't wait to try them out. Looks like a pretty interesting smoke.
  • handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    price is alright...the diameter is very larger on these.....as much tobacco probably in a 4x66 nub as in any robusto 5x50....
    whats the math here? 2 Pi r^2 + 2 pi r * h

wow..so i guess im too math retarded to figure out the surface area of tobacco in a nub compared to that of a robusto....its the dang fractions that get me plus im tired I just got off work....brain is shot....someone figure it out
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I think in this case the best way to determin value compared to your average robusto is to measure by weight. Alex, we must know the answer! Send me 3 boxes of diploma naturals, and 3 boxes of these so called nubs. Ill get to the bottom of this!
  • so i was checking ouy the website for these little guys and they are haveing like events around the country. like they are going on tour. now im kinda new to this but whats does a cigar event entail?
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Interesting comment on size vs price. The interesting thing on these is that the list the weight of each cigar and smoking time on the outside of each box. What is interesting is that the weight of the 466 is the same as the weight of an 8 x 52. I was a bit baffled so I lit one up and sure enough, it burned for about 90 minutes.
  • handypantz:
    price is alright...the diameter is very larger on these.....as much tobacco probably in a 4x66 nub as in any robusto 5x50....

wow..so i guess im too math retarded to figure out the surface area of tobacco in a nub compared to that of a robusto....its the dang fractions that get me plus im tired I just got off work....brain is shot....someone figure it out
    Uh OH Kuzi...someone asked the holy grail of questions...

Maybe Kuzi will bless you with an answer like he gave me when I started poking around the world of cigar geometry.
  • CrimthannCrimthann Posts: 37
    Anyone smoking these lil suckers yet? I'm curious to how they compare to other Olivas before I snag a box.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    If only these would have been out three weeks ago when I had placed my humi restocking order, I would have grabbed some singles :(
  • golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    I just ordered a box of the habanos. I sure hope they are as good as everyone has been saying.
    CigarStudent.com:
    handypantz:

Uh OH Kuzi...someone asked the holy grail of questions...

Maybe Kuzi will bless you with an answer like he gave me when I started poking around the world of cigar geometry.
    HA! ill see if i can find that thread. If i can ill link it.
  • golfcigarjunkie: if you don't like them once you get them i'll trade you for a couple...and if you do like them, i'd still be willing to trade you for a couple, lol
    I must leave no math question unturned!

the nub is 4 inches long with a radius of 0.515625 inches (66 ring has a 66/64 inch diameter) so it has a potential volume of 3.342 cubic inches. (assuming it's completely full with no air pockets V =Pi*h*r^2 for a cylinder)

the robusto is 5 inches long with a radius of 0.390625 so it has the potential volume of 2.398 cubic inches.

so don't expect a short smoke :)
  • emyers99emyers99 Posts: 15

I'm going to the live event tonight here in Columbus.  I'll try to report back tomorrow.  Problem is that it is being held at the Tinderbox store near me that is tiny.  So I have no idea how they intend to get many people inside let alone do rolling demos. 

kuzi16:
    Damn you beat me while i was trying to figure out how ring sizes work :)
    Crimthann:
    kuzi16:
    Damn you beat me while i was trying to figure out how ring sizes work :)
    i wouldnt say i beat you.

i posted that MONTHS ago.
    Demolished me then?
  • emyers99emyers99 Posts: 15
    Ok, just got back from the Nub event in Columbus.  Great fun. It was cool to watch them being rolled.  I picked up 2 of each wrapper...and I also picked up two of my all time favorites the Maxx Curve (more on that later). 

I just finished smoking the Cameroon box press. (466).  I paid $6.60 for each Nub (and $7 for each Maxx).  The construction is fantastic and they are good looking little cigars.  I was excited to try one out and the flavor did not disappoint.  I love Cameroon wrapper.  The burn was perfect and the draw was also perfect.  So bottom line, this was an excellent cigar.  Not sure I buy into the theory behind the cigar but as long as it tastes good, who cares.

Now for the bad news.  I've read some reviews where people claim the smoke time for these is comparable to a normal size cigar.  Some claim they even got more than an hour out of their Nubs.  Based on the Nub I smoked, these claims are far from accurate.  I timed it to the minute and did everything possible to smoke it as long as possible.  Had to put it out just before burning my fingers (smoke was getting hot).  Total smoke time....31 minutes on the nose.  Unless I dipped it in water prior to smoking, I don' t see how I could have possible gotten more smoke time. 

Given the price of these cigars (admittedely, cigar.com has way better prices than what I paid), my conclusion is that it is a good cigar, but not quite sure it was worth the asking price.  Case in point, the Maxx Curve is huge.  Big ring and twice the length of the Nub for just a few cents more.  The Curve easily takes over an hour to smoke. 

Before anyone attacks me, I'm just pointing out the value argument so that this review is complete.  It is a great cigar, but at the end of the day, you just have to ask whether you're willing to pay $6 for a "short smoke."  I certainly enjoyed the smoke....I just wish it lasted twice as long.