Home General Discussion

Winter / shorter smokes

youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
With the colder months approaching, I am always looking for smokes that take less time to enjoy, but still taste great for a solid 20-40 min.

While I am aware of the Nub by Oliva, I am always underwhelmed by them. So let me stop you ol' bland, chode lovers right OTT. ; )

I think so far, just about the best examples of what I am looking for this winter that I've found are the Ave Maria morning star and the Fuente short story / bestseller. Thoughts?
ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico

Comments

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's some nice Cigarillo options out there; I've had an Oliva that was pretty good.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Are you trying to say this question has been asked before???
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Bob Luken:
    Alot better than any other forum that flames ya and everyone just says use the search noob. Those links were actually helpful and on topic. Love this place.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Winter is when I bust out the bigger RG. F summer.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:

What's Winter?
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    wahooschock:
    SleevePlz:
    Bob Luken:
    Alot better than any other forum that flames ya and everyone just says use the search noob. Those links were actually helpful and on topic. Love this place.
    Most of us know the search function sucks.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Im sure my answer is in other threads, but i csnt say enough about the tatuaje petite cazadores reserva.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Bob has had my back since I joined this forum! Thanks for the links brother. I think I'm going to grab a tin of these Padron Corticos and a couple of the Tat's recommended if I can find them.

Anyone else seen the tiny Perdomo 10th Anniversary? I picked one up and I felt like a giant hahah. Looks interesting, but I'm sure in college I smoked joints with bigger ring gauges.
    Rain:

This guy.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Cohiba Red Dot Pequenos, about 45 mins sometimes. Smoke one on the way to work in the summer months.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Shorter smokes vary who's smoking them. My buddy can torch through a Churchill in 45 min and my robusto will last an hour. The pack and age matters as well. A Padron will burn very slow in my experience.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Camacho has a good one as well. Machitos

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• For winter I like HAVANA HONEY minies or CUBAN HONEY minies.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Illusione Rothschild is money for a short smoke
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about this? Clip off a section of your favorite cigar with a good guillotine cutter and smoke it in a cigar holder. Cigar holder
    Then you can maybe get three short smokes from one cigar. Or maybe in a pipe? I've started a thread already asking about whether the pipe idea could work but I just now thought of the cigar holder idea. I might have to try this.
    blutattoo:
    I've been meaning to try Illusione for a while now. This seems like a good chance.

Realistically, the 'winter/shorter' smoke concept is a great way to get your wife to let you spend more $ on sticks. It's workingggggg
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    I was just going to recommend these. I still get about an hour out of one, but they are great cigars. I want to get a box of 50.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    image Having one of these right now. I think the maddie might be more up my alley. Solid, tasty smoke though for $3. I would estimate 25 minutes of smoking pleasure . . .what a great fall morning.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    +1. Big fan of the "R".
    Ken Light:
    Most of us know the search function sucks.
    +1

Protip:

Skip CCOM's search if you don't want to dig through 10 pages of duplicate results, and use Google instead.
    You can limit your search results to this site by adding the words **site:cigar.com** after your search keywords.

So, to (more easily) find Bob's results you could go to Google.com and in the search bar type "Winter Smokes site:cigar.com"

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Good info for sure, the search feature is useless here. I worry about what a total nerd I have become about fine tobacco.

But then I come here and it's a village of nerds. Alas, Xanadu!
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    blutattoo:
    I was just going to recommend these. I still get about an hour out of one, but they are great cigars. I want to get a box of 50.
    i agree i am more like 45 minutes to an hour on one, and i want to grab some too, but 50 is a ton of 1 tyep of cigar, and i have no place to store 50 of them....hell i don't have storage for 25 of them.
    That Fuente was such a tease. Now i want another cigar. Maybe I'll light one after my two favorite NBA teams play each other tonight! Cavs-Knicks! Do you even basketball bro? Wooooo! (I'm from Cleveland)
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    image Having one of these right now. I think the maddie might be more up my alley. Solid, tasty smoke though for $3. I would estimate 25 minutes of smoking pleasure . . .what a great fall morning.
    What size is that? 25 minutes for anything seems like a rush. As an on again off again cigarette smoker, I find that when I look for short winter smokes, I subconsciously end up trying to smoke them like a cig. Not saying you're wrong, just curious. I have by accident become a slower smoker because of consciously trying not to smoke a gar like a cig
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hemingway Short Story. Hands down my favorite short smoke. I also like the Liga Papas Fritas and the tins of Oliva G's.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the Hemingway Short Story. I'll have to try some of the other suggestions this winter. Or I just need to move to Florida!
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have a couple tins of the Padron's that are not that bad either. I have the maduro and naturals.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure you saw MOW Puro Authentico in the other threads that were linked, but just throwing it out there. I get around 45 minutes out of them
  • phishstyxphishstyx Posts: 110
    Could you take a perfecto and cut it in half for 2 smokes to be enjoyed at different times?
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Gray4lines:
    blutattoo:
    i agree i am more like 45 minutes to an hour on one, and i want to grab some too, but 50 is a ton of 1 tyep of cigar, and i have no place to store 50 of them....hell i don't have storage for 25 of them.

I have *one* of these from a Kelly or Tim Deal. I was considering it for my afternoon smoke today. Now I might just have to try it to see if I need to stock up. Realistically, I feel like I should have been stocking my shorter smokes three months ago, though.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.