Home Ratings & Reviews

Onyx Reserve

I have looked through the forums and have come up empty handed. Anyways, this was one of my first sticks...many many moons ago. I was out of the hobby for nearly 4 years and am now able to get back into it. I remember really enjoying this stick way back, but I've not heard anyone talk of these on the forums here. Also, I've not seen them in a sampler pack or on sale here at CCOM. I've read the reviews on the Onyx Reserve purchase page, but I am curious as to what people here on the forums think of these. I'm interested in purchasing a few (maybe a box) and would like some 'fresh' feedback if possible. Thanks.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey stayer, there have been comments about the Onyx Reserve right here on the Ratings and Review page. Type in Onyx in the box next to search on this same page and see what others think.. I like them alot Just haven't had one in a while.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    kaspera79:
    Hey stayer, there have been comments about the Onyx Reserve right here on the Ratings and Review page. Type in Onyx in the box next to search on this same page and see what others think.. I like them alot Just haven't had one in a while.

Wow, how did I miss that? My bad...perhaps we should delete this thread then?
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Mmmm.... ONYX!!!! This is one of my favorite go to cigars! I've never had one with burn issues or bad flavor. I've still got several Churchills stashed down in the bottom of the Humi too!
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I'm with puro...onyx is definitely one of my fav maduros...reminds me, I need to pick a few up.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I had one last week for the first time in close to a year maybe ? I really enjoy these and used to smoke them more often about 2-3 years ago ...
    When I first started smoking I had at least one Onyx a week. Now I have a lot more wide selection of smokes in the humidor, but I still like to have the Onyx on hand. I was out of them for about 6 months, but I found a deal for 10 Churchills for $27 and jumped all over it. That might be my favorite size for that smoke.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    What's the best amount of age to put on an Onyx?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    BStayer:
    thats as subjective as asking what someone their favorite color is.

or what temp they like their steak cooked to.

i like em fresh and i like em aged. get a few and try it yourself.
    kuzi16:
    BStayer:
    thats as subjective as asking what someone their favorite color is.

or what temp they like their steak cooked to.

i like em fresh and i like em aged. get a few and try it yourself.
    Yea, I'm with Kuz on this one. I like them fresh because they have a little bit more of a meaty bite to them, but if you put 6+ months on them they really meallow out and still have great flavor. They aren't too much of a sweet maduro, but they have awesome flavor.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I remember smoking these when i first got into cigars a few years back. I'll have to remind myself to pick up a few to try them out again. I remember really loving them.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    they are okay.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    This is one I did not enjoy when I first tried it so I buried the remainder of the 5 pack and when I pulled one out ~6 months later it was a completely different experience and one I really enjoyed. I'm not crazy about maduro wrapped cigars in general, but this was one of the better ones I've had.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I am a huge fan of maduros and I was extremely impressed with the one I had. When I can find any extra room in my humidor I will be picked up a few of these.
  • j0z3r:
    This is one I did not enjoy when I first tried it so I buried the remainder of the 5 pack and when I pulled one out ~6 months later it was a completely different experience and one I really enjoyed. I'm not crazy about maduro wrapped cigars in general, but this was one of the better ones I've had.
    Joe it seams our tastes are very similar. However when I tried the Onyx I did not care for it and it was a single so I havent bothered with them since. I'm always willing to try any cigar twice to get a fair review of it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I just happened to buy a five pack my first time out, so fortunately I had the others lying around and was able to try one after some R&R. It might be worth a shot Nick, then again maybe not....there are a lot of cigars out there, and your life won't be incomplete without the Onyx, it just isn't that good (<-- my opinion).
  • PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

I loved these in my Previous Life as a cigar smoker. Can't seem to find them locally here or when I was in Memphis since I have started back into the life.

When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. —Ben Franklin

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^He's giving you a run for your money @Yakster. Better tighten up your game!

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    ^^^He's giving you a run for your money @Yakster. Better tighten up your game!

Or, are we being DZR'd by Yak?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the new release of these about 3 months ago. Not nearly as good as the original back in the 90’s. Still a decent smoke imho.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.