Home Cigar 101

tunneling

I know its been posted before, but iv had some tunneling problems on my last two smokes what can the smoker do to cause tunneling>?

Comments

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    If the cigars aren't humidified properly all the way through, tunneling can occur as the drier tobacco inside burns faster.
  • Nahh the humi is spot on 2x the 65% beads I need inside a vino I got a wireless hygrometer that beeps if the humility goes over a certain point, plus it logs the humidity ever hour and displays it on a bar graph....the humidity is all set.:-)
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    make sure you start off with a good light on the foot by rolling the cigar to evenly light the wrapper, and then make sure you don't pull too hard or too often (short short short long etc..) when you draw. The draw should be loose enough to see the cherry burn the wrapper red when you pull in. Then just make sure you don't smoke too fast. the bigger the ring gauge the more careful you have to be about drawing in evenly and slowly
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this inward burn can be caused by poor rolling, uneven lighting, and/or bad fermentation. In addition, inward burn is frequently caused by an over saturated wrapper or uneven humidity within the cigar: meaning the inside/filler is drier than the outside/wrapper-binder.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    jeff_connors:
    Nahh the humi is spot on 2x the 65% beads I need inside a vino I got a wireless hygrometer that beeps if the humility goes over a certain point, plus it logs the humidity ever hour and displays it on a bar graph....the humidity is all set.:-)
    What kind of Hygrometer is that??? I likey!
  • http://www.honeywellweatherstations.com/Manuals/TE657ELW FINAL 2-29-08.pdf
    I have the "home base" part of the unit sitting by my computer predicting the weather very well for me and the "remote unit" in my humi trasmitiing its status,
    Honey well makes great stuff!
  • TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    jeff_connors:
    http://www.honeywellweatherstations.com/Manuals/TE657ELW FINAL 2-29-08.pdf
    I have the "home base" part of the unit sitting by my computer predicting the weather very well for me and the "remote unit" in my humi trasmitiing its status,
    Honey well makes great stuff!
    holy crap!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    jeff_connors:
    I know its been posted before, but iv had some tunneling problems on my last two smokes what can the smoker do to cause tunneling>?

Tunneling ??? It was June 5th 1943 , a moonlit night, behind enemy lines and with French Resistance fighters in the South of France , with nothing but a ........holy crap ....sorry wrong forum !!!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Come back to us Gene, you're among friends. The Krauts can't get you here. Take a deep breath...here, puff a cigar for a while, come back to us. :)
    j0z3r:
    Come back to us Gene, you're among friends. The Krauts can't get you here. Take a deep breath...here, puff a cigar for a while, come back to us. :)

Whewwwww ...that was close ...thanks Joe ...you don't want this cigar back do ya ...I'm just sayin' ...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:

Whewwwww ...that was close ...thanks Joe ...you don't want this cigar back do ya ...I'm just sayin' ...
    Nah, you can keep it Gene. I didn't want to give you anything too good while you were freaking out, good call on my part since you didn't even notice it's a grape White Owl. :D
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:

Nah, you can keep it Gene. I didn't want to give you anything too good while you were freaking out, good call on my part since you didn't even notice it's a grape White Owl. :D

;)
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've also toyed with the notion that this occurs when ANY change in humidity is coming...

For instance:
    My cigars lately have been burning quite perfectly and I've enjoyed some of the best cigars in quite some time, but that's because my house has been cool enough I don't have to turn on my wine firdge and warm enough that the Heat hasn't kicked in at all... So for 30 days my cigars have been at the same temp and Rh the WHOLE TIME!

Well now that my heat has been running the air is drier and my fridge got down to 62% Rh, not bad but I thought I'd throw in some more water on my 2lb. of beads.

Well I'll be jiggered that my Man O' War Ruination last night didn't taste fanatstic, but it seemed that I had to WORK to get the wrapper to stay with the filler while burning, it was kinda tunneling . All this and my Rh is only at 67%!

I think this has happened not because of TOO much humidity, but that the humidity has changed and now the outside is at 67% and inside at 63% for the cigar hasn't RE-Rested enough to make it one consistent Rh (no matter what it is!)

Just my little Bill Nye the Science Guy for ya!