Home Ratings & Reviews

What's your favorite Connie?

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
Alright gents, so here's where I'm at - I've realized that one of the biggest things I miss the most from the States is a great, classic Connecticut wrapper - I'm talking about the creamy, nutty, great-with-coffee characteristics that no other wrapper can do as well.

Thing is, it's honestly been a couple years since I've had a good Connie (or one at all), so I'm a little out of touch. Now I have to order box/bundle quantity to justify the shipping from the States, but I'm not really sure what to go with. Weigh in?
¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davidoff 3x3 for the price. I loved the My Father connie release for Federal, and they just released it again this year as a standard line. Have one waiting to try, but have heard good things
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Angelenos. End of search.

Well, they're my favorite Conny anyway. Damn tasty stick, especially with coffee.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ these 2 fellas hit the nail on the head. 3x3 for the price, Angelenos if you can find them, and MF federal Connie is just straight up delish. Mow virtue after a nice nap is pretty legit too.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    park avenue
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    Davidoff 3x3 for the price. I loved the My Father connie release for Federal, and they just released it again this year as a standard line. Have one waiting to try, but have heard good things
    I feel you on the Federal Cigar Connie Sherm...it is my #1. The new MF CT if I am not mistaken uses a different filler and binder than the Federal but is still an enojoyble connie and cheaper than the MF Federal. Just my thoughts.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Oliva CT Reserve or San Cristobal Elegancia. I do like the 3x3. And Avo Classic. Oh, so many.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy The Griffins, CLE Connecticut, Oliva Connecticut Reserve, even the Nub conny. Lots of good ones out there.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    The Oliva Connecticut is still my favorite, but I've yet to try the MF. I may have to get one at the B&M next time I go. The Griffin's and AVO are right up there as well.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Angelenos and AVO XO are my favorites. Also(and don't hate) Gurkha Beauty and Symphony are actually pretty satisfying as well. Good to see you back Hays.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Definitely the Avo Classic for me and I actually enjoyed the RP connie as well.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MOW Virtue and AVO XO are in my regular connie rotation. I got a few Morro Castles pretty cheap a while back and enjoyed them. Nuttiest cigar I've had.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I would have to say the Avo Classic, (any Avo actually) and The Griffins. I bought a box of each this year and have ZERO left. These are cigars that I would never hesitate to buy in box quantity.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    If you can find the original camacho Connie's they were the best conny I've had in a long time!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mason Dixon South, MF and CLE has a decent one too
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    If you can find the original camacho Connie's they were the best conny I've had in a long time!!
    Agreed! But not a fan of the current one
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you wanna get technical... all but one of these above mentioned cigars are Ecuadorian grown Connecticut seed... Avo XO, Davidoff 3x3 and 4x4, My Father Connecticut, Angelenos, park avenue, Oliva CT reserve, San Cristobal Elegancia, the Griffin's, CLE Connecticut, Avo Classic, RP Connecticut, MoW Virtue, Camacho Connecticut (old and new), and Mason Dixon south

the only one that isnt:
    the NUB connie is Connecticut seed grown in Nicaragua

and are we talking maduro as well? there are plenty of Connecticut broadleaf wrapped cigars that are maduro...

I was thinking true Connecticut-Shade-Grown when i read the title

not many True Connecticuts spring to mind, and of those that do few are what i consider my favorites:
    Dunhill Aged Dominican.
    Victor Sinclare Connecticut Yankee
    Ashton Classic
    Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur
    San Lotano Oval Connecticut
    Macanudo and Macanudo Gold
    Perdomo Exhibicion Connecticut (i think)
    and i cant seem to remember if the Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente Connecticut is actually connecticut grown.

i can pick my favorites on that list.... does that count?

even my favorite non-maduro "connecticut" cigar is not a true Connecticut grown leaf... Room 101 Connecticut. it has an Ecuadorian grown Connecticut seed.
    Ashton Classic if I have to pick from Kuzi's short list. Haven't had them all but have had several. You could also get the ccom American, which is not a bad smoke at all (I'd prefer it to Macanudo, VS CT Yankee, and possibly the SLO CT and Perdomo, too.)

Now, I might have to go smoke the HdM Excalibur in the humi to up this list count by one.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    How about Perdomo 10th Champagne? Not sure if that's a "real" Connecticut or not.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    How about Perdomo 10th Champagne? Not sure if that's a "real" Connecticut or not.
    I know the filler is all Nic, and I suspect the wrapper, while CT seed, is also grown there, but not sure. I do like this cigar; it's the only Perdomo on my regular smokes list. I didn't put it on my list because I don't get as much of the classic Connecticut flavor from it. Very good smoke, very interesting smoke. It's just not one that jumps to mind when I think creamy and nutty. Certainly has some cream, but there's more of a peppery than nutty flavor. It is good with coffee, though!

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hey gentlemen, thanks for all the great recommendations! Sorry I haven´t been able to pop in as much as I was intending - busy with the holidays, and now on vacation for the New Year so haven´t been on the PC as much. Still not sure what to go with, but my wife suggested an excellent idea for me to start ordering more stuff from Ccom (man do I have an awesome wife!), so if I can get that sorted out things will go easier.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    i think that one is a "true" connecticut.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    #1 Perdomo Lot 23 Connecticut churchill.

#2 Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut torpedo.

Those are my faves as far as true connies go. I am pretty sure the RP is, but I'm positive the Perdomo is a legit Connie.

I like San Lotano connies and also (for JD) 5 vegas gold. But they're both Ecuador. Still delicious and nutty though!
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Oliva CT Reserve or San Cristobal Elegancia. I do like the 3x3. And Avo Classic. Oh, so many.
    All of these are great choices. The Oliva is solid, the elegancias are a truly unique Connie with what I'd describe as a slight citrus or floral note. Really good! AVO Classic and XO are my go to Connies that I always have.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    San Lotano Connecticut Churchill
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have to say Connie A
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    A few newer conny's to suggest... Nat Sherman Epoca, Nomad Connecticut Fuerte, and Sindicato Affinity.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to go with either the San Lotano Connecticut or the SL Oval Connecticut. Both are outstanding. Nothing like smoking one of these with a coffee on a nice spring morning.

"Long ashes my friends."

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Romeo y Juieta Vintage that has been aged a year.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    First post, just wanted to say how good the Epoca was. I initially smoked it first outta my batch I just got from Cigar.com thinking it wouldnt be all that good.... I stand corrected!!
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Welcome SM0K3Y!
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico