Home General Discussion

Dammit, I hate frickin' winter!

raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
-5 temp outside, -25 wind chill, snow on the ground, ice on the roof and no end of this in sight for months.

And to make it all worse, I CAN"T SMOKE!

I only smoke outside and during my lunch time or during weekend walks. There aren't any B&M's I want to pay to smoke one in, and home is out of the question. So right now I've been stogieless since before Christmas.

And to make it worse, I can hear the little fellers calling me from the humidor. The My Fathers complaining about the cold. The Hemingways **** about the humidity. Bob Luken's CAO Amazon Basins begging to be sent back to Tennessee. The four pack of Anejo Sharks I splurged for beckoning, "Don't wait to age me...light me up now."

It's torture, I tell ya!

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like our weather... it had been relatively mild until this week. Now wid chill is -14, it's just bitter outside. It's a pain to just walk to the car! So, i'll light up in my office or head to a store/cigar bar.

Maker's Mark and an oliva V for me now!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    +26 in Anchorage , Alaska. And its January. Loving it. Just need more snow.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Do you even car herf bro?
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat. Snowing and -30 wind chill
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    avengethis:
    I am listening to the weather forecast right now.. Winter weather advisory, Blowing and drifting snow, less than quarter mile visibility on the roads, new snow 3-7 inches, "ground Blizzard", wind chill 25 below zero, more school closings, traffic nightmare, one good thing, summer is just six months away.
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    avengethis:
    With that kind of weather I don't think you should be out on the water in a boat
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my old truck back from my friend who had been storing it for me. Been smokin in it. Been making up excuses for errands to drive.
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Right there with all of you! It's frustrating. Planning a trip to Florida sooner rather than later
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to Miami in March with the family for a wedding, but I doubt I'll have much of a chance to sneak off for a smoke....let alone try to sneak off to Miami's cigar area.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    yeah, it has been rough this week, but if it is above 15 degrees i have been using this little thing that my wife got me for Christmas:

Mr Heater Single burner

it works wonders and i have used it on nights as low as 19 degrees
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    The My Fathers complaining about the cold. The Hemingways **** about the humidity. Bob Luken's CAO Amazon Basins begging to be sent back to Tennessee. The four pack of Anejo Sharks I splurged for beckoning, "Don't wait to age me...light me up now."
    send them to me .... i'll make sure they don't have to suffer any longer ;-) ;-)
    (lol j/k. it's cold as bawlz here too and i got the same problem. so many purrdy smokes but too damn cold to enjoy them)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    yeah, it has been rough this week, but if it is above 15 degrees i have been using this little thing that my wife got me for Christmas:

Mr Heater Single burner

it works wonders and i have used it on nights as low as 19 degrees
    Love mine but its no match for sub 20 degree days.
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    This is the baby I use.
    Propane no pain setup. It will sweat yer azz out !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
    Heater + hunting blind/ice fishing tent = better than not smoking
    Kudos to all of you who use heaters and hunting blinds and ice fishing and trucks to get your smokes in.

I just can't go there. Much of what makes cigar smoking enjoyable for me is the venue and time when it takes place, and the ability to sit back or walk and relax whilst smoking. I've tried cigar smoking in cold weather, and I find that If I'm struggling to light it, my lips are too cold to taste the wrapper, the thing is going out every two minutes and every time I exhale an intake of arctic wind rushes in, the only pleasure I get from the experience is saying that I braved the elements to smoke it. Fair weather stogie smoker? I admit it--guilty as charged.
    raisindot:
    Kudos to all of you who use heaters and hunting blinds and ice fishing and trucks to get your smokes in.

I just can't go there. Much of what makes cigar smoking enjoyable for me is the venue and time when it takes place, and the ability to sit back or walk and relax whilst smoking. I've tried cigar smoking in cold weather, and I find that If I'm struggling to light it, my lips are too cold to taste the wrapper, the thing is going out every two minutes and every time I exhale an intake of arctic wind rushes in, the only pleasure I get from the experience is saying that I braved the elements to smoke it. Fair weather stogie smoker? I admit it--guilty as charged.
    to be completely honest when it is above 25 and with that little heater i have none of the issues you are talking about. I felt the same way last winter, but after ddub told me about that little heater and i got it I am a true believer. i have it sitting facing right between my legs about 2 feet away from me and it is awesome. When it is 35ish out there i honestly think i could sit out there in shorts and i wouldn't be cold.
    brianetz1:
    raisindot:

to be completely honest when it is above 25 and with that little heater i have none of the issues you are talking about. I felt the same way last winter, but after ddub told me about that little heater and i got it I am a true believer. i have it sitting facing right between my legs about 2 feet away from me and it is awesome. When it is 35ish out there i honestly think i could sit out there in shorts and i wouldn't be cold.

Man, I totally get how this works for you, but for me just having a pocket of heat wouldn't do it. I'd still have to look out and see all the snow and ice. I'd still feel the Canadian wind blowing. I'd still be thinking that as soon as I'm done I have to turn off this heather thing and the cold will rush back in. I need to feel relaxed before I smoke, and winterin general just keeps me tense. For months at a time.
  • subtlehustlesubtlehustle Posts: 33
    Bob Luken:

Smoking cigars in my ice fishing tent is the whole reason I just started this hobby. Tip-guy I take it.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel for you guys, I am NOT a cold weather person. I feel blessed that 1. it doesn't get that cold here very often. 2. I have 5 different lounge's within a 10 min drive. 3. I can and do smoke in my office and shop
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    brianetz1:
    raisindot:

Man, I totally get how this works for you, but for me just having a pocket of heat wouldn't do it. I'd still have to look out and see all the snow and ice. I'd still feel the Canadian wind blowing. I'd still be thinking that as soon as I'm done I have to turn off this heather thing and the cold will rush back in. I need to feel relaxed before I smoke, and winterin general just keeps me tense. For months at a time.
    I gotta say I'm with Rainsdot on this one, the entire ritual and atmosphere and all that is at least half of the experience for me. I prefer to smoke indoors so I can have all my little ritual niceties right there next to me. Only way I smoke in the winter anymore when it's not at a lounge or inside is if I'm in a hot tub outside. Having a dram and a great cigar while in a hot tub while it's snowing is a truly amazing experience I'd wish for anyone to try at least once.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    90+ Irishman:
    raisindot:
    brianetz1:
    raisindot:

I gotta say I'm with Rainsdot on this one, the entire ritual and atmosphere and all that is at least half of the experience for me. I prefer to smoke indoors so I can have all my little ritual niceties right there next to me. Only way I smoke in the winter anymore when it's not at a lounge or inside is if I'm in a hot tub outside. Having a dram and a great cigar while in a hot tub while it's snowing is a truly amazing experience I'd wish for anyone to try at least once.
    I pick up whst you guys are laying down. Me? I like the winter. I like snow. If i had a hot tub i would be out there every single night smoking a cigar. I have already told the wife that is a big time want for me, but unfortunately my wife cannot use it because of her MS which really sucks.
    brianetz1:
    90+ Irishman:
    raisindot:
    brianetz1:
    raisindot:

I pick up whst you guys are laying down. Me? I like the winter. I like snow. If i had a hot tub i would be out there every single night smoking a cigar. I have already told the wife that is a big time want for me, but unfortunately my wife cannot use it because of her MS which really sucks.
    Yeah I hear you, I love winter and snow but not for smoking and not for my health. The cold and snow puts quite a bit of strain on my health and really makes the chronic pain far worse which sucks, but eh that part if life right?
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    subtlehustle:
    Bob Luken:
    Smoking cigars in my ice fishing tent is the whole reason I just started this hobby. Tip-guy I take it.
    Welcome to the forum. I don't ice fish if that's what you mean. I use a heater and hunting blind to smoke in on occasion. I can fit a wrought iron rocking chair in one corner and and a makeshift footrest in the other, and I'm VERY comfortable. I used it a lot last season but, lately I'm using any excuse I can find to drive around and smoke in my old pickup.
    Bob Luken:
    subtlehustle:
    Bob Luken:
    Welcome to the forum. I don't ice fish if that's what you mean. I use a heater and hunting blind to smoke in on occasion. I can fit a wrought iron rocking chair in one corner and and a makeshift footrest in the other, and I'm VERY comfortable. I used it a lot last season but, lately I'm using any excuse I can find to drive around and smoke in my old pickup.
    Actuakly Bob I gotta say that sounds just about sweet, even with my discomfort in cold and snow (sad because I love winter and snow in general lol), that still sounds fantastic!
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I hate this cold! I have reached my breaking point. So here I sit in my car in the driveway enjoying a smoke all by my self. Me and the am 670 Chicago sports radio station. Ah...relaxation!
  • subtlehustlesubtlehustle Posts: 33
    Thanks, I'm new to cigars but yeah..I'm a tip-up guy so I have 2 hands usually free, So in one of them goes a drink the other is free for a cigar. Still trying to find a good cigar.
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Dark Roast:
    I hate this cold! I have reached my breaking point. So here I sit in my car in the driveway enjoying a smoke all by my self. Me and the am 670 Chicago sports radio station. Ah...relaxation!
    Close to my breaking point too which is why I booked a flight down to Florida. Unfortunately that's not until early March LOL. In the meantime, we're expecting an ice storm today but it's actually up to 30° so I might try to smoke before it all starts.
    D Fresh:
    Dark Roast:
    Close to my breaking point too which is why I booked a flight down to Florida. Unfortunately that's not until early March LOL. In the meantime, we're expecting an ice storm today but it's actually up to 30° so I might try to smoke before it all starts.
    Enjoy Florida, hope you get to stroll through the Calle Ocho area, so many neat small cigars shops and factories etc down there I've heard! And Doug, heheheh is get paid Friday and will have a nice little libation and stogie package headed your way so smoke up while you can brother hahaha
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I feel for you raisindot, jonsing so bad you hear your cigars talking to you. It's only going to get better now, the cold months are here. Makes me wonder why I stay, oh yeah my job, lol.
    The3Stogies:
    I feel for you raisindot, jonsing so bad you hear your cigars talking to you. It's only going to get better now, the cold months are here. Makes me wonder why I stay, oh yeah my job, lol.

Why I stay? My wife doesn't want to move. If it were my choice, I'd've been out of here years ago.