Home Ratings & Reviews

Gurkha Widowmaker: Sorry, but no marriage made in Heaven for this noob.

raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
All the cigar catalogs just endlessly hype the Gurkha cigars as being these absolute top-notch luxury brands, and the Widowmaker as being a cigar that retails for $50-$100 a piece. Well, no way I was going to pay that much, so when one was available for $3.90 as part of the Cigar.com sampler I had to snap it up. Well, I tried it yesterday, and I must say that, while certainly a pleasant medium-bodied smoke, there's nothing here that would come even close to justifying more than few dollars for it. Am I missing something here?

Comments

• Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Back in 2006ish, Gurkha's were near the top of the heap as far as brands go. Seems that over the past few years, they (along with a few others) have flooded the market with so many different blends that all seem to taste the same.

Seems like the quality has suffered also.

Sure they may have an MSRP of $50+ a stick for those guys that have to brag that they're "smoking a Gurkha, one of the most expensive cigars out there...blah, blah, blah..."
    Funny thing is, there are people out there that are impressed by that.
    But did you ever stop to think why a $50 stick would be available for $4 in a sampler?

I'm not a Gurkha hater, I just smoke what I like and Gurkhas just aren't it.

Remember, you smoke cigars - not hype and marketing.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have smoked a few Gurkhas that I liked but I really can't remember which ones, that kind of justifies your whole point though, doesn't it?
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592

I'm 98% sure this is how they pick which leaves go into a blend.
    @ Scarlin, I've got to add to that.

1. They sit around and come up with catchy names
    2. They figure out what they can use for flashy packaging
    3. They come up with a ridiculous MSRP and laugh at the thought of someone actually paying that price

Then they throw the darts to come up with the blend.

• SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    Steve2010:

3. They come up with a ridiculous MSRP and laugh at the thought of someone actually paying that price

I couldn't agree more!!! Also I would like to add that B&M owners love new people coming into their shops, it's the only way they get to sell any Gurkhas. I used to like Gurkhas, but now I tend to believe that people that really love them and go as far as to call them premium cigars are suckers blinded by a shinny label and sold on the idea of Gurkha being premium cause their dumb enough to pay the MSRP. Gurkhas are all show and no go, and for all of the Gurkha lovers that disagree, please do me a favor. Continue to buy them.
    Smokindaddy:
    Steve2010:

I couldn't agree more!!! Also I would like to add that B&M owners love new people coming into their shops, it's the only way they get to sell any Gurkhas. I used to like Gurkhas, but now I tend to believe that people that really love them and go as far as to call them premium cigars are suckers blinded by a shinny label and sold on the idea of Gurkha being premium cause their dumb enough to pay the MSRP. Gurkhas are all show and no go, and for all of the Gurkha lovers that disagree, please do me a favor. Continue to buy them.
    Back in 2006, I liked the Centurion. Now it seems it's just another Connie. I also liked the original Blue Steel, but they went and changed that too. The Micro Batch TPB-1 was another that I liked, but now it's discontinued.

And then of course, there's this------>http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/361286.aspx

• SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    Steve2010:
    Smokindaddy:
    Steve2010:

Back in 2006, I liked the Centurion. Now it seems it's just another Connie. I also liked the original Blue Steel, but they went and changed that too. The Micro Batch TPB-1 was another that I liked, but now it's discontinued.

And then of course, there's this------>http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/361286.aspx

I remember a few years before that when Gurkha was testing the market and they didn't have but one or two lines out and neither of them were named. They were just Gurkhas and they came in different sizes and in a maduro blend. Those were some of the best smokes. Now....blah...
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Timely post, I just finished a widow maker and it had a tough draw, decent flavor, and came apart at the foot.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan... I have yet had a gurhka that I thought was really good. For the price well I think they are smoking crack and not cigars! I have the new centurians and have been sitting on them for alittle over a year. Well I tried one the other month and it was like a rolled up news paper. I had to throw it in the fire pit halfway threw!
    Money can't buy taste
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Gurkha...sucks. Even the cellar reserve, which I looooooove, burns like crap more often then not.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only two sticks I ever tossed because of the taste were Gurkhas. Gave up on them but I've recently revisited the Centurian and the vintage 2001 and loved them. But yeah the price they retail at is obscene.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still one of may favorite yard work smoke. I agree you need to but a sampler of 20 in hopes of getting 3 that burn correctly but I have found a few that are better then just "good". The Crest, Titan, Beast, Copper Label, Ancient Warrior, and Fury are really enjoyable smokes for me. If anyone wants to trade some away hit me up.
  • I've yet to smoke a Gurkha, though I have a few sitting in my humidor - including a 5-pack of Widowmakers that were thrown in as a "freebie" with a CI order.

I did a little research into the brand, and it does seem that much of it is just a lot of overblown hype.  The staggeringly high MSRP is to make them look "elite" and maybe get them into some of the high-end boutique shops where price = status.  I suspect that the prices they give to large-scale retailers (like Cigars International, etc.) are *MUCH* cheaper - so much so that these companies can afford to practically give them away.

The part that really made me laugh was reading that they recently celebrated their 125th anniversary by releasing a "special" cigar.  According to their website,  "The 125 years does not represent the amount of years that have passed since the current Gurkha Cigar Company was purchased by Kaizad Hansotia in 1989, but the amount of time elapsed since 1887, the height of the British rule that colonial soldiers first began to smoke and enjoy their own cigars from local tobacco. The fondness of the British for these legendary Nepalese fighters inspired them to name their cigars Gurkhas.”

Yeah.  Right.
    K. Hansotia bought the name from a Portuguese merchant in Goa, India for ~$150 back in 1989.  There's no 125-year legacy, just a lot of hoopla.

I'll stick with my Camachos.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I've smoked a few Gurkhas, and the only one I ever really enjoyed was their supposed budget stick - Park Avenue connie. Once I realized how many different 'blends' they have (or should I say how many different names/wrappres they have - not sure how many blends are actually different), I decided I didn't want to waste my time exploring all of them. There are too many other good brands out there to explore.
  • nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    Vision:
    Still one of may favorite yard work smoke. I agree you need to but a sampler of 20 in hopes of getting 3 that burn correctly but I have found a few that are better then just "good". The Crest, Titan, Beast, Copper Label, Ancient Warrior, and Fury are really enjoyable smokes for me. If anyone wants to trade some away hit me up.

I agree with Petey about the Ancient Warrior. The last one I smoked had a few construction issues, but was quite tasty. I also like the triple maduro. I thought the Widowmaker maduro was pretty decent.
    nickiam:
    Vision:

I agree with Petey about the Ancient Warrior. The last one I smoked had a few construction issues, but was quite tasty. I also like the triple maduro. I thought the Widowmaker maduro was pretty decent.
    i have about 10 that are going on a year in humi. I will smoke some .... when I get a chance.... and see how they have turned out. I feel that most people give up on them to quickly.
    Gurkha Beast
    Time in humi 9 months (No cell)
    Normally RH - 68 Temp - 67-70
    Cut using Xicar V cutter

I smoked a Beast yesterday while putting up Christmas lights. It was toothy with flawless draw. Burn was even thru out. It formed a small crack near the foot that was about half a dime in length. I am assuming it was due to the cold (46 ish) and not the usual "Its a Gurkha..." problem. It wasn't overwhelming in flavor nor complexity but had dark chocolate/sweet notes from start to finish. I smoked it to about a thumbs length and had to chuck it to go inside. I was very very please with it after the rest. I would have no problems picking up more on the cheap and letting them sit for 9+ months.
  • First, this cigar is not a $50 stick on this, or any other, planet. Second, and this is subjective, I do not find this flavor profile either complex or refined as expected in any reputable maker's high-end range. This is a very grassy tasting stick. I almost thought it had a dreaded component of ammonia (not properly or completely aged?), but decided it was innocuous and, perhaps, was simply meant to taste grass-like. Ghurka has not got a stellar stick here as I think it just tastes "off". I'll go further, and make a point using an analogous example. I've never seen an Audi dealer attempt to sell an A8 (top range) by blatantly replacing an actual retail sticker with one that is maybe 10X the actual price and then mark it back down attempting to make a case for what a fantastic car at a dirt cheap price the A8 is. If a product is really good no hype is needed and in fact it will sell the entire lesser range of a manufacturer by building credibility. Somebody tell Ghurka to make a lot fewer sticks. Make 'em good without the hype and with the quality to price ratio serious smokers relate to and the whole line will gain much needed credibility.
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    John Werner:
    First, this cigar is not a $50 stick on this, or any other, planet. Second, and this is subjective, I do not find this flavor profile either complex or refined as expected in any reputable maker's high-end range. This is a very grassy tasting stick. I almost thought it had a dreaded component of ammonia (not properly or completely aged?), but decided it was innocuous and, perhaps, was simply meant to taste grass-like. Ghurka has not got a stellar stick here as I think it just tastes "off". I'll go further, and make a point using an analogous example. I've never seen an Audi dealer attempt to sell an A8 (top range) by blatantly replacing an actual retail sticker with one that is maybe 10X the actual price and then mark it back down attempting to make a case for what a fantastic car at a dirt cheap price the A8 is. If a product is really good no hype is needed and in fact it will sell the entire lesser range of a manufacturer by building credibility. Somebody tell Ghurka to make a lot fewer sticks. Make 'em good without the hype and with the quality to price ratio serious smokers relate to and the whole line will gain much needed credibility.
    Great first post.welcome.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"

• I made my Gurkha debut with the Beauty then naturally the Beast....I didn't enjoy any of them no flavor what so ever...save for the undeniable smoothness of the smoke and fancy packaging to catch your eyes....they are absolute garbage if that's their trend.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Gurkha celler reserve from a BnM are really good. All others... Not so much.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    I just got the sampler from here and theyve been sitting for a week in the humi, tried WARPIG last night...great smell, pretty meh until about halfway through, then started tasting as good as it smelled, not blown away by any means but im looking forward to trying the rest of the sampler. Not as strong as I thought it would be, but its was a good smoke, not great but good. My 2cents anyway, i would smoke again, if i dont have to pay top dollar
  • Johnny_OJohnny_O Posts: 3
    I had a good experience with Gurkha 2nd's churchills.
    So, I thought I would try more.  Found a deal on this site for the black beauty.

Posted my find and was greeted by the Gurkha Police!

With experience, comes knowledge.

The cigars were awful. Outer wrapper would crack and unexplainable rips would occur.
    I had them over a year and the only way I could finish them, was to keep them wet with spit. Still it's crap shoot.

The Gurkha police speak the truth, as I found out.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Good to know