Home Non Cigar Related

The fishing thread

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went on a 12hr. mermaid hunt charter with my brother yesterday. Caught about 30-35 fish between the two if us. Nothing big, avg was about 3-4 lbs. Here are some pics.

Sun rise
    photo 20141229_065534.jpg

Mermaid hunting gear
    photo 20141229_070649.jpg

Ayebawls
    photo 20141229_122339.jpg

Damn sea lion got my sheepshead
    photo 20141229_165658.jpg

Sun setting
    photo 20141229_164400.jpg

and the money shot. Needed this after a long day of mermaid hunting. No mermaids this day, but the hunt continues
    photo IMG_20141229_175428.jpg
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    Anyone ever bought the cheap braided line from China they offer on ebay? Thoughts? They are hella cheap. I'm guessing you get what you pay for but that's why I'm asking.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen it but never bit on it. I would rather go with something I know. I generally stick to Berkely line. If you do try it let us know what you think.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    I've seen it but never bit on it. I would rather go with something I know. I generally stick to Berkely line. If you do try it let us know what you think.
    this cold weather in STL is killing me man......i jsut want to get out and fish, but still MONTHS away.
    Man I am with you! Damn arm surgery kept me out of my boat too long this past summer. To throw fuel on the fire my dad hooked me up with a new crank rig for Xmas and my bday. Anxious to try it out.

matkn293:
    Man I am with you! Damn arm surgery kept me out of my boat too long this past summer. To throw fuel on the fire my dad hooked me up with a new crank rig for Xmas and my bday. Anxious to try it out.
    btw, our trip to the ozarks down in camdenton is the weekend of april 23-26 this year......you going to be down there?
    Ours is the first weekend in may again. The tourney usually falls on that weekend. You may hit big bass bash weekend.

matkn293:
    Ours is the first weekend in may again. The tourney usually falls on that weekend. You may hit big bass bash weekend.
    that sucks. we had to switch our weekend because of a bunch of events that weekend.
    If you are there on BBB good luck. 2000+ boats.

matkn293:
    If you are there on BBB good luck. 2000+ boats.
    nope, it will be the week after....thank god.
    That is good. Make sure to fish Red Oak. BBB goes out of there.

There are so many species of fish out there that I've never caught. Two that really stand out that I'd love to land before I die ..... peacock bass and a monster tarpon.

Anyone else dream of landing a certain type of fish?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    There are so many species of fish out there that I've never caught. Two that really stand out that I'd love to land before I die ..... peacock bass and a monster tarpon.

Anyone else dream of landing a certain type of fish?
    you should try snakeheads!! Awesome fight!
    Money can't buy taste
    Redfish, a shark (great white), and a saber tooth tiger. Oh wait, wrong thread.

• BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    Went fishing while in Mazatlan.
    Nice!
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crappy picture due to poor lighting in the fish cleaning house but we had a good 2 days on the ice.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone here fished the BWCWA? Looking for advice.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I saw these on the fishing channel a while ago and Bass pro is now selling them. Has anyone tried them yet?

pretty expencive for one bait though.
    One God, One Truth
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brianak:
    Went fishing while in Mazatlan.

Good looking catch. It's nice that the mate aboard was the one to have to clean them puppies. At least I assume he/she did. I know I sure wouldn't have done it if I had caught 'em..... LOL
    roland_7707:
    I saw these on the fishing channel a while ago and Bass pro is now selling them. Has anyone tried them yet?

pretty expencive for one bait though.
    I don't see them making much of a difference unless you are in clear water. They may work then. Won't be much different than a crank bait bite in the right conditions. Not sure what they cost but I would imagine there is a premium attached as they are new. For that money I would go with the stand by's. I don't believe I will be purchasing any.

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    $15-16 a pop. Yeah. I might get one just to see, but I expect at some point Ill be swimming after it.
    One God, One Truth
    Yeah, I saw those when I was ay BP. I haven't bought any tackle in awhile. Saving up for an anual fishing convention this weekend.
    Today I went to the annual Fred Hall fishing convention in Long Beach. I met up with Delicia aka @cigarvixen and did a little cigar trade. Cigar for a Stogiestand

She preeeeetty
    photo 20150308_105652.jpg
    Get any new goodies?

matkn293:
    Get any new goodies?
    stickers lol
    photo 20150308_195252.jpg
    Attention all anglers! WTF is this sh*t??? It hooks up to a battery and it's about the size of a baby hippo.
    photo 20150308_101523.jpg
    danielzreyes:
    Attention all anglers! WTF is this sh*t??? It hooks up to a battery and it's about the size of a baby hippo.
    photo 20150308_101523.jpg
    i bet that would be great for crappie fishing.......
  • BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    They use them up here for halibut. Sucks reeling them in from the bottom by hand.
    That thing is insane! I could see that as a deep salt water rig. Don't think there is any freshwater species that would be necessary for.