Home Non Cigar Related

Sell my mustang and go to Scotland?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Ok... some of you are familiar with my Mustang... I love this car its in great shape and its mine. lol the first car ive owned outright in almost 10 years. Here is my thing. I want to sell it, buy a cheap get around town car and use the rest to go to Scotland... Anyone here travel to Scotland recently or happen to be a travel agent who might know a ballpark sum I would need to a week long trip happen?

Its an idea I am tossing around. Im not sold on the idea for sure yet. Its been a huge dream of mine to go to Scotland. I doubt I will ever be able to in my lifetime... My wife hates flying and I doubt she would last on a flight that long.
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm not mistaken, Hays should be your resource here for that. I think...
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:

Summon him! Do we have to sacrifice a virgin to do that? Cause the only virgins I know are my cats...
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    Ok... some of you are familiar with my Mustang... I love this car its in great shape and its mine. lol the first car ive owned outright in almost 10 years. Here is my thing. I want to sell it, buy a cheap get around town car and use the rest to go to Scotland... Anyone here travel to Scotland recently or happen to be a travel agent who might know a ballpark sum I would need to a week long trip happen?

Its an idea I am tossing around. Im not sold on the idea for sure yet. Its been a huge dream of mine to go to Scotland. I doubt I will ever be able to in my lifetime... My wife hates flying and I doubt she would last on a flight that long.
    I'll tell you what, give me your mustang and I'll buy you a drink at Kells.

seriously though, I've always liked experience more than stuff so I say sell, even though I've seen your mustang and it is gorgeous.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    LiquidChaos66:
    Amos Umwhat:

...the only virgins I know are my cats...
    Ah, virgin pu$$y...
    Echambers:
    LiquidChaos66:
    Amos Umwhat:

...the only virgins I know are my cats...
    Ah, virgin pu$$y...

HA!!!!! Ya know what... Ill bring my Herf-a-dor fully loaded to Kells... you can buy me a beer and have smoke with me any time! :) But not in return for my car. lol I just looked at ticket prices... I would have to sell my car for way more than its worth lol. Its doable.... but its gonna be a stretch. lol
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep an eye on groupon for deals.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Lookin like its gonna be around a 10k vacation... Tickets, rental, hotel and food/gas...... That's not counting tours and other random expenses.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    LiquidChaos66:
    Lookin like its gonna be around a 10k vacation... Tickets, rental, hotel and food/gas...... That's not counting tours and other random expenses.
    i can email you my 20% off groupon deal....so it would only be around 8k then. lmfao

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv:
    Good advice. My wife is the queen of groupon. We were looking for a place to eat lunch one day in downtown Seattle so she goes on groupon and five minutes later we had a certificate for $50 in food for $25.

also think about air b and b's.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    jgibv:
    Good advice. My wife is the queen of groupon. We were looking for a place to eat lunch one day in downtown Seattle so she goes on groupon and five minutes later we had a certificate for $50 in food for $25.

also think about air b and b's.
    My wife does this all the time too, really neat the coupons she finds and how she saves us money!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Ill be honest... Ive never used groupon... I may have to check out their offerings lol
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Ohhhhh boy, thanks for the summons. Let´s see, I haven´t seen the Mustang (post pics, I wanna see!), but I´d be damn sure you don´t need $10,000 to visit Scotland for a week buddy! I´ve been there. Fact is, you´re probably going about it all wrong; my wife and I traveled literally around the world (Spain > NYC > SF > South Korea > Malaysia > Thailand > Cambodia > India > Morocco > Spain) for over 3 months for a bit less than $6,000 USD, flights included.

Coming from that side of the pond, your flights are gonna be the biggest expense to swallow, but on a quick glance I've seen flights roundtrip flights from Milwaukee and Minneapolis for anywhere from $900-$1,400 USD per person, so figure a ballpark average of $2,200 in flights. Depending on the rest of your travel standards, you could pull off a week's travel for anywhere from under $1,000 to $3,500 USD (the latter being for a very comfortable travel standard, including a rental car, gas, and requisite tolls, and activities).

The rental car is something you might want to consider carefully, actually - first of all, think about how comfortable you might be driving on the other side of the road (and the car). Then, take into consideration that roads in the UK are often in poor shape (moreso outside the major cities, of course), and are often much narrower than you might be used to in the States. There's also prevalent toll roads that'll add up in time, and gas is much more expensive than you're used to. If you consider that outside the US, the rest of the world really isn't as car-oriented and public transportation (e.g. trains, buses, etc) options are extensive and affordable, you might want to reconsider what will be a daily expense of around $130 (or $910 for the week).

Travel is one of my areas of expertise, so if this is really something you've dreamed about and you're seriously thinking about selling a prized car to make it happen, shoot me a PM and we can talk further to see if I can't help you pull this off.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Hmmmmm that's promising actually. When and if I really put my best foot into this I will totally PM Ya and see what I can work up :) my brother and his wife went recently and they rarely touched their rental. So that could be an expense I might avoid. Thank you for the info! I will mull it all over and try to persuade my wife. Lol as for my mustang...

Right on man, looks identical to one my dad sold just after I was born ( I've seen photos). Scotland is an interesting place, rather small, composed of about as much space as between you and Minneapolis lol. Like I said, happy to help - I've been almost everywhere in the UK and Ireland with the one exception of Northern Ireland.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    If I can persuade my wife... im sure im gonna have to throw a few days in Ireland to the mix. lol
    LiquidChaos66:
    If I can persuade my wife... im sure im gonna have to throw a few days in Ireland to the mix. lol
    Cheap flights from Edinburgh to Dublin - planned right, would probably be around $20 each (I´ve actually done exactly that).

Hays:
    LiquidChaos66:
    Cheap flights from Edinburgh to Dublin - planned right, would probably be around $20 each (I´ve actually done exactly that).

Wait... What? a plane ticket for the price of a freakin pizza????
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Tell me more about this mustang: year, motor, things of this nature.

I could honestly go either way trip or car. Both have great positives and negatives. If the wife is going and you intend to keep her, sell the car. If you are going by yourself, or don't intend to keep the wife, keep the car.
    LiquidChaos66:
    Hays:
    LiquidChaos66:

Wait... What? a plane ticket for the price of a freakin pizza????
    Yep? Happens all the time man. A bit more expensive, but my wife and I are going to Italy in May. Total flights + trains in the country is about $200 total (2 flights, 3 trains, x2 passengers). This side of the pond is a HELLOVA lot easier to travel than the States.

• Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    The trains are fantastic! Clean, on time and reasonably priced.