Home Cigar 101

How do you know?

smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
How do you know if you're a cigar aficionado? Is it self proclaimed? Is there a test? If I rated myself right now solely on knowledge I'd say that I am more of an avid enthusiast, but who knows I may be underestimating myself.

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    smbrink:
    How do you know if you're a cigar aficionado? Is it self proclaimed? Is there a test? If I rated myself right now solely on knowledge I'd say that I am more of an avid enthusiast, but who knows I may be underestimating myself.
    It's when you write a magazine alienating about 79% of the population of people that could potentially read your magazine and then when you take in so many advertising dollars for review credit that if you were in Government it'd be considered a scandal....
    Then my friend, you are an aficionado!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    One does not know he is an aficionado, he just is.
  • I run a training course...19.95 per month + cigars you give me cigars..you get a diploma at the end..
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    smbrink:
    It's when you write a magazine alienating about 79% of the population of people that could potentially read your magazine and then when you take in so many advertising dollars for review credit that if you were in Government it'd be considered a scandal....
    Once again, you've outdone yourself! However, you speak the truth.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    smbrink:
    fantastic

when i have a hard cigar question, i ask Alex. in this same light, maybe he can tell you if you are an aficionado.
    maybe the wizard can tell you...
    follow the yellow brick road. you can use the scarecrow as a lighter....
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Posts: 396
    i like looking at $50,000 watches.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am so glad I get that mag for free. It is more like a dream magazine. Why the hell would you drop $10,000 on a watch? Just because you can? How f'ing stupid. I will bet you my G Shock keeps the same time your overpriced time piece to compensate for low testosterone does. Might not look as pretty though.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    jsnake:
    I am so glad I get that mag for free. It is more like a dream magazine. Why the hell would you drop $10,000 on a watch? Just because you can? How f'ing stupid. I will bet you my G Shock keeps the same time your overpriced time piece to compensate for low testosterone does. Might not look as pretty though.
    To the person who spends $10k on a watch, that expenditure probably accounts for less of their earnings, as a percentage, than that G-shock. Pride of ownership. If all anyone cared about was bare funtionality, almost everything anyone owns would be considered excessive. There are intangibles to be taken into account as well. Then again, someone with a $10k watch may think it quite crazy to spend $25 on a cigar. Heck, some folks might say that someone making $30k a year is crazy to spend ANY money on cigars.What I have found is that, generally, people who have a high net worth also understand the value of things, not just what something costs. I'd not be so quick to call someone stupid or having low testosterone based on what they choose to spend their discretionary disposable income.
    In regards to what makes an afficianado. I would say very few are. I'd say being able to pick the growing region and types of tobacco by taste would qualify, as well as having an intricate knowledge of different harvests and what is going on with them and what that means for the future of the cigars coming out. Very similar to wine in that respect, IMO. Me, I am happy to just enjoy cigars.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    One2gofst:
    jsnake:
    To the person who spends $10k on a watch, that expenditure probably accounts for less of their earnings, as a percentage, than that G-shock. Pride of ownership. If all anyone cared about was bare funtionality, almost everything anyone owns would be considered excessive. There are intangibles to be taken into account as well. Then again, someone with a $10k watch may think it quite crazy to spend $25 on a cigar. Heck, some folks might say that someone making $30k a year is crazy to spend ANY money on cigars.What I have found is that, generally, people who have a high net worth also understand the value of things, not just what something costs. I'd not be so quick to call someone stupid or having low testosterone based on what they choose to spend their discretionary disposable income.
    I think that this sums it up very well. Each person has an idea of value, and what their dollar is worth to them. For example - I have $400 worth of cigars (not even including any of my hardware). Many people would find that a ridiculous amount of money to spend on something that literally goes up in smoke. We, however, know differently.

As far as watches themselves go - within the collection I maintain I have a $700 watch. It is a gorgeous watch, and meticulously well-engineered. I own this because watches are another passion of mine - one I've had far longer than cigars as a matter of fact.

As has been said above: value is where YOU put it, and different things hold value to different people. Many of these expensive things we see and admire (or mock) are intended for those who seek the execution of perfection within the field of that item.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    smbrink:
    lol.. Don't forget the ad for every other page....
    One2gofst:
    jsnake:
    Easy there. It was a joking statement about the excesses of a magazine that caters to the elite. I don't care how much your watch costs lol. I think it is nuts that this magazine has ads and promotes high dollar items that probably 10% of the people out there can afford. I am just pulling that stat out my butt. I do kind of understand the ads because that is how they make their money. They also seem to want to maintain an elite status therefor promoting crazy expensive things. If I came into some money you know I might spend up to $1,000 on a nice watch but $10,000-$30,000 is absolutely nuts IMO.
  • Bought myself a European cigar journal mag today, way better than CA, its actually about....cigars!!!
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    my problem with that magazine is that only 50% of its articles are about cigars, and they don't ask the celebrities they interview much about their cigar habit or their feelings on cigars. I understand that not all celebrities are cigar heads, but it doesn't always have to be an A list celebrity every month. It seems to me that the magazine is more about rich and powerful lifestyle with a few articles about cigars. Rather than the other way around.
    jsnake:
    One2gofst:
    jsnake:
    Easy there. It was a joking statement about the excesses of a magazine that caters to the elite. I don't care how much your watch costs lol. I think it is nuts that this magazine has ads and promotes high dollar items that probably 10% of the people out there can afford. I am just pulling that stat out my butt. I do kind of understand the ads because that is how they make their money. They also seem to want to maintain an elite status therefor promoting crazy expensive things. If I came into some money you know I might spend up to $1,000 on a nice watch but $10,000-$30,000 is absolutely nuts IMO.

Nowhere in your post did it come across to me that you were joking. It certainly did come across, again to me, that you care how much someone else spends their money. I apologize for not reading your post correctly.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    jeff_connors:
    Bought myself a European cigar journal mag today, way better than CA, its actually about....cigars!!!
    There are a couple that do that. CA kinda sucks. It's like vogue for men...
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I get the magazine free and i can honestly say that when renewal comes i wont be renewing ..... as far as the contents there are some great articles every once in a while, and it sure is nice to dream isnt it . I have three watches ...... a Kenneth Cole that my wife bought for me for x-mas the years we started dating, a timex ironman and i have a knockoff Breitling that i got in nassau for 50.00 and it looks 100% real and on the wrist you cant tell its a fake. Money doesnt make the man ..... the Man makes the money and rich or poor iam sure we all value some of our possesions more than others.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    $10k watches maintain value, or sometimes appreciate. G-shocks, well, nuff said. I will have a nice Breitling, Rolex, or Tag someday but for now, the Fossil and Michael Kors are good nuff for me.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    ANYWAY - I am sorry for contributing to derailing the thread, and really didn't mean any sort of braggadocio by mentioning my watch collection... I was just trying to make a point.

As far as my opinion on being classified as an aficionado, I believe this: Once cigars become more than a casual thing with friends; once you start learning about their origins and the different countries your smokes come from; once you start developing your palate to recognize flavors and body.... Not once you become an EXPERT in these areas, but once you begin APPRECIATING these things - THEN I would call you an aficionado, as I call myself (and I am no expert by far).
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    One2gofst:
    jsnake:
    One2gofst:
    jsnake:

Nowhere in your post did it come across to me that you were joking. It certainly did come across, again to me, that you care how much someone else spends their money. I apologize for not reading your post correctly.
    I am not offended by anyone's reply. I just wanted you guys to know I was joking around. I get the mag for free so I can't really *** too much. Rich people and their toys do not bother me or make me lose sleep. I just didn't want anyone to be offended because I was joking around. Hard to judge the tone of ones written words on a forum so I understand what you are saying. I personally would never buy half the stuff they have in the mag because I think I am very basic and down to earth and coming from where I have been in life it just isn't my style. Nothing against it but its just not for me. I would really like them to cater to all cigar lovers and throw on a cheap luxury watch or electronic item and work their way to the extremely expensive. Then I would feel a little better like they were reaching out to all of their readers.

Aficionado?? Well, I do not really know about that at all. I love cigars and I do give advice and help people out. I am no expert and have much to learn and try.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Hays:
    ANYWAY - I am sorry for contributing to derailing the thread, and really didn't mean any sort of braggadocio by mentioning my watch collection... I was just trying to make a point.

As far as my opinion on being classified as an aficionado, I believe this: Once cigars become more than a casual thing with friends; once you start learning about their origins and the different countries your smokes come from; once you start developing your palate to recognize flavors and body.... Not once you become an EXPERT in these areas, but once you begin APPRECIATING these things - THEN I would call you an aficionado, as I call myself (and I am no expert by far).

Well said Hays ...I like that definition and agree with it ...
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    gmill880:
    Hays:

Well said Hays ...I like that definition and agree with it ...
    Well then I guess I would classify myself more of an avid enthusiast than aficionado.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like smbrink's term "enthusiast" a lot better than aficionado. I enjoy cigars, talking and learning about them and trading with friends. I know I have a lot to learn and that is part of the enjoyment. For some reason the term "aficiodado" always stuck me as snobbish.

As a retired cop, I have a lot of class, it's low, but I have class!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm an AFICIANADO...... ****! And I want you all to start calling me Don Philippe!

• ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Makes a cross in the air. In nomine Patri. Et Fili. Spiritus Sancti. You are now an aficianado my son.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    If i win the lottery, I'll buy a nice, expensive watch. Something that I'd be proud to pass onto my son, and him to his son and so on and so forth. Same goes for a lot of other things, like an expensive fly-fishing rod, crystal whisky decanter set, misc. jewelry, classic cars or aircraft, etc etc.

If i win the lottery... *sigh*
    bacon.jay:
    If i win the lottery, I'll buy a nice, expensive watch. Something that I'd be proud to pass onto my son, and him to his son and so on and so forth. Same goes for a lot of other things, like an expensive fly-fishing rod, crystal whisky decanter set, misc. jewelry, classic cars or aircraft, etc etc.

If i win the lottery... *sigh*
    Brother, I hope you win and get to make your dreams come true. I could see buying a nice watch to pass onto generations in the family. That is a cool idea. In all honesty if I won the lottery I would pretty much keep my current lifestyle and try to bless as many people as I could. Not saying I wouldn't spend some money but I wouldn't buy a Ferrari or million dollar house as all I am saying. I have taken note of what you want so if I win I will hook you up bro!
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    IMO the term afficianado,(did i spell that right?), refers to your level of interest in whatever it is. Could be cars, cigars, boats ect. And if you're on this forum talking about cigars then your interest level has to be high thus making us all cigar aficianado's! Congrats to everyone!!! Now as far as the CA magazine goes, I like it. I enjoy looking at the nice watches/cars/electronics and all the other neat things they have in there. Mix in some cigar talk and reviews and i'm good to go every month. I'm a watch guy though so i'll look at anything with nice watches in it. Last month I picked up a copy of Smoke(pretty sure that's the name of it) at my B&M and it was a great magazine. I liked it just as much as CA but for completely different reasons. Seemed a little more "down to earth". Good magazine imo.
  • Why so much abuse on the G shock?? :) It's a great watch! I'm new to cigars, and I have lot to learn before I consider myself an afficianado. I will heartily enjoy the trip to enlightenment though! About spending 10K on a watch..not for me. But then again, I shoot a ten thousand dollar rifle for fun, so maybe I'm the nut!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    fire78n88:
    But then again, I shoot a ten thousand dollar rifle for fun, so maybe I'm the nut!
    No, no not at all....*backs away slowly*