Home Cigar 101

Two shades of gray

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've had this question a long time but I can't remember to ask anyone about it. And, I don't remember this being discussed here before. I've searched through old threads but, could find nothing on the subject.

What's up with the color line of the ash on many of my cigars? The first quarter inch or half inch of the ash is darker / yellowish / brownish and then after that it becomes very bright. Is it because the foot has had more exposure to air? That would be my guess but the change is very defined. Or maybe it's from my lighter when I'm toasting for a long period of time? I use an Alec Bradley "Burner". It's kind of a soft flame but has a wide flame output area.

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The heat maybe. I've wondered that myself.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Luken, I gotta be honest, 100% not what I was thinking this thread was gonna be about....but I'm seeing my ash change color right now halfway through this Cao camshaft
    photo images-66_zpszotmfkws.jpeg
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought smoke or tar filtering though the ash.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive been under the assumption that its due to that part being exposed to the additional heat of the flame. I could be completely wrong... but that's my 2 cents.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.