Home Cigar 101

got a wine cooler to use has wineAdor but...

hey guys i used to live in the states and i had no problems keeping my coolerdors working fine, i moved to sydney, australia where the weather is always hot and im not able to keep the temp in my coolerdors low enough..its always reading above 76 degree's, so i bought a wine cooler that unfortunately for me does not have a digital read out of how cool/warm i want it set its just a turn dial..the problem i am having is the cooler it is set the lower the humidity is dropping..i have 65% heartfelt beads and i can eaither get the temp down between 60-70 but the humidity drops to 45-50% or the temp goes about 75 degrees and the humidity gets around 60%

Comments

• i just shut it off now for about 30 minutes and its sitting at 56 degrees and 59%
  • latest reading with wine cooler off, 58 degrees and 68%RH
  • so far with the wine cooler off, its 65 degrees which is great but the humidity has shot up to 95%, and these are heart felt 65% humidity beads wine cooler dimensions are w=19.5'' d=22'' h=33'' 59 bottle capacity and im only using 140grams/ 0.3 LBS of humidity beads
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on those dimensions, it appears you have about 8.19 cubic feet of space in there. I suggest you re-check the quantity of beads necessary for that unit. I don't think you have nearly enough. ??

Edit: Using the calculator on Heartfelt's website it indicates you should have 28 ounces of beads for your amount of area to humidify. ......
  • i bought 2 pounds so i guess i will throw them all in there.. as of this morning its reading 70 degrees and 99% humidity, instead of beads would i benefit better with going with heartfelts electronic hydra sm or lg humidifier or should i just keep going with more beads?
  • im thinking the electronic humidification wont help me its the beads that i need more off to suck in the humidity, ok noob question..being that my humidity is so high, should i spray the beads or put them in bone dry?
    I think the beads/humidifier decision is a matter of preference. I personally use the beads and am quite satisfied with them. I use them as they were intendd, though, and not as a number of the BOTLs seem to think is correct. I DONT charge the beads. I place a small custard cup nearby with about 1/4 inch or do of DW in it and let the beads do what they're supposed to do. A number of the BOTLs moisten their beads and use them as a humidifier. IMO that's the wrong way to use them.

The dry beads will pull moisture out of the air when the RH is too high and they'll release moisture back into the air when necessary. My humis stay within a percent or two of where they're supposed to be. It's my position that ya can't argue with success.
  • i will give that a try my friend, now if i already sprayed the beads what is a good way to dry them out fast as possible or do i just wait and let them dry out on their own?
    I've heard that you can use a hair dryer on them but I've also heard that too much heat could cause some beads to crack and possibly make dust. I haven't personally tried a hair dryer. They'll dry out on their own over time. Not to worry. ??
  • thank for the help my friend, currently what ive done is i have it set to warm and the temp is at 70 degree's and i left the door open a crack and the humidity is holding at 71%..i was worried this would burn out the motor in the wine cooler but being set on warm it only came on the first few minutes and now its off..i will keep a eye on it and put in a order for more humidity beads..again thank you for the help..i have not enjoyed a cigar for 6 months since moving here due to temps and the tobacco tax..a man can only take so much lol
    Before buying more beads, perhaps you should look Into using kitty litter to supplement what beads you have. Do a search of the threads on this forum and read up on the type of kitty litter that's usable for humidity control. I believe it's a silica type. I have some that I'm using to supplement but I don't recall the specifics of it at the moment. It's quite inexpensive, has blue crystals mixed Into it, and works very well. If you're unable to find anything on the subject, let me know and I'll go look up the container that mine came in. That'll give me some info for ya.... ??

And, BTW, is your wine cooler a thermoelectric unit? I just got finished repairing one and may be able to pass along some info on yours - assuming its a thermoelectric one...
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Marty mentioned, the type of cooler in you wineador matters lot. Most guys go thermoelectric. I think condensors cause problems for stable humidity? And I agree with Marty that more beads will help a lot. it should level out for you in a few day or a week tops. Given how warm it is, and the cooling unit having to run a lot, you will have to experiment with beads and temps to get it where you want it.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    PM to ya, Denali..... Check your inbox...
  • thank you for the link my friend, i will pour a dram of bourbon and try to relax a bit here is a link to the exact unit i bought.. http://www.2ndsworld.com.au/lemair-59-bottle-wine-cooler-black-id-LWC59 Lemair LWC59
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy the bourbon!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • thank you, a few drams of four roses single barrel is helping the thinking process a bit..lol i threw in a frozen gel ice pack and it seems stable for now..temp is 66 degrees and humidity is steady at 61%..
  • Seems to be stabilizing at 60 degrees and 60% humidity but i am seeing condinsation build up along the sides inside will this be a problem that i need to keep wiping dry or no big deal?
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling this may be a compressor model. Looking for the specs to see. If so you are going to have a heck of a time keeping it stable.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

I sent an email to where it was purchased. Got a semi-curt response telling me it has a compressor PER THE MANUAL..... I thought, "Gee, if I had a manual why would I ask"? Oh, well..... ??
    denali7432:
    Seems to be stabilizing at 60 degrees and 60% humidity but i am seeing condinsation build up along the sides inside will this be a problem that i need to keep wiping dry or no big deal?

At this point I'll have to veer off. I have no experience with compressor-driven units. I can tell you that, as long as you can keep it at around 70 degrees or less you shouldn't have any problem with beetles. They're pretty much dormant below 70. And my guess is that at 70/65% there shouldn't be a lot of condensation unless your ambient humidity is normally quite high and the wineador is opened and closed frequently. But that's a guess, remember.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    I sent an email to where it was purchased. Got a semi-curt response telling me it has a compressor PER THE MANUAL..... I thought, "Gee, if I had a manual why would I ask"? Oh, well..... ??
    Their website is not much help either.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    I have a feeling this may be a compressor model. Looking for the specs to see. If so you are going to have a heck of a time keeping it stable.
    +1

hopefully OP can return it and exchange for a different, thermoelectric, model.....

if it's a compressor i'd say OP is almost better off unplugging the dang thing and just using it like a "coolidor" for his cigars.
    or keep it plugged in and use it for wine/beverages and not cigars

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

matkn293:
    jlmarta:
    Their website is not much help either.

That's why I sent an email - but only after googling the unit and checking various other suppliers who weren't any more helpful...... ??