Home Non Cigar Related

The fishing thread

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no bottom to lazy.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a pond and there are cat, bass and sun fish in it. Can't fish it any more because the grand kids started feeding them, and gave them names.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    roland_7707:
    I saw these on the fishing channel a while ago and Bass pro is now selling them. Has anyone tried them yet?

pretty expencive for one bait though.
    I don't see them making much of a difference unless you are in clear water. They may work then. Won't be much different than a crank bait bite in the right conditions. Not sure what they cost but I would imagine there is a premium attached as they are new. For that money I would go with the stand by's. I don't believe I will be purchasing any.
    I was in bass pro the other day and saw these. They are unbelievably life like. May almost be worth the coin if you are near clear water. I couldn't believe it. Still haven't pulled the trigger but I may. I here stand corrected on my previous evaluation. Seeing them in person is a whole different story. They are extremely life like and really look like a bat cluster.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

Starting to get the fever. Pulling out rods and relining and dusting off. Organizing tackle and spending money and crap I probably don't really need. Did pick up a couple of the Rap Ghost sticks. Nice looking and reasonable for a stick at about $9. Great vs 15-25 that I have seen for some of them. Just picked up lake rights to a private lake close to the house. Will be nice for short trips. 10 mins from time to hook up rig and launch it. Happy bass fishing is around the bend boys!

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    Starting to get the fever. Pulling out rods and relining and dusting off. Organizing tackle and spending money and crap I probably don't really need. Did pick up a couple of the Rap Ghost sticks. Nice looking and reasonable for a stick at about $9. Great vs 15-25 that I have seen for some of them. Just picked up lake rights to a private lake close to the house. Will be nice for short trips. 10 mins from time to hook up rig and launch it. Happy bass fishing is around the bend boys!
    nice!! Yeah line kills me year after year! And yeah the raps are nice but I wish they would make a 1/2oz version since well I really only use baitcasters. Also sweet on the lake man!! Your lucky...how big is it? And if private I'm sure there are a ton of big dumb bass!!
    Money can't buy taste
    I am not sure of the acreage yet. Normal Hp rating is 125 but they have a special class for tournament style bass boats that allow up to 200hp and 20'-6" long. Must have a single bench trolling motor etc. very strict on rules. 40mph max and 10 after dusk. 3 strikes by any one in this class in the year wipes out the entire class. They have hybrids and some one pulled out a 16 last year. I have heard it's not uncommon to pull 6'ers out. Fairly shallow at 25' deepest in the creek channel with normal areas at 8-10. Not much grass mainly mud and rock bottom. The angler club out there has been doing a lot over the last 5-10 years to Introduce structure with about 50 trees going in a year. I hear bass is great but the crappie need work.

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    I am not sure of the acreage yet. Normal Hp rating is 125 but they have a special class for tournament style bass boats that allow up to 200hp and 20'-6" long. Must have a single bench trolling motor etc. very strict on rules. 40mph max and 10 after dusk. 3 strikes by any one in this class in the year wipes out the entire class. They have hybrids and some one pulled out a 16 last year. I have heard it's not uncommon to pull 6'ers out. Fairly shallow at 25' deepest in the creek channel with normal areas at 8-10. Not much grass mainly mud and rock bottom. The angler club out there has been doing a lot over the last 5-10 years to Introduce structure with about 50 trees going in a year. I hear bass is great but the crappie need work.
    if you ever need a fishing partner feel free to hit me up.

getting all my stuff out this week to get it tested and ready to go for our yearly trip to the ozarks next week. probably going to hit up bee tree this week and maybe busch wildlife next weekend.
    I will certainly let you know. Went over there yesterday with pops and got in the angler club big bass bash they have. Fairly slow day but there was a 6.57 and a 4.55 pulled out. Dad got a 3.8. Of course we weighed In The slot with the 4.55 and someone snuck in with a 3.9. If we would have waited we would have taken the last hour. The guys say that we should tgrow everything we know about bass fishing right out the window on this lake. Do the exact opposite. The bass love warm weather and the hotter the better. It's a nice lake but one end needs more structure. Total of about 600 acres. Mini mini LOTO. Lots of docks. I have heard that many people don't use the lake. Especially during the week. Hardly any boats on it. It's nothing for the thursday night tourneys (3 hours) for someone to pull in a 15-20lb stringer. It's going to be fun.

Ugh you guys are lucky!! Over here 6lbs is huge!! I hit a fiver almost every year but dang I wish I had a crack at some biggins. But yeah I love fishing at least 15ft deep and more...pulling a big girl up from the dark is great
    Money can't buy taste
    From what I am hearing it's spinners chatters worms and a few cranks here and there. Upping my spinner game is going to get costly. May have dad break out the molds to make some.

matkn293:
    From what I am hearing it's spinners chatters worms and a few cranks here and there. Upping my spinner game is going to get costly. May have dad break out the molds to make some.
    i love throwing a chatter. the strikes on a chatter are amazing. I had a 4.5 hit a chatter about 10ft of the bank at LOTO that almost tore the rod out of my hand.
    Packing up to head to my companies yearly fishing tourney. About the only time of the year I get 3 hard days of fishing in. Excited. Ready to be on the water.

matkn293:
    Packing up to head to my companies yearly fishing tourney. About the only time of the year I get 3 hard days of fishing in. Excited. Ready to be on the water.
    you should be catching them left and right. man this was the week to be down there, darn kids confirmation.....have fun man.

btw, if you need a cool bar head to the one called nautifish off EE. you can also dock from the water. great vibe, all the games, poll tables, ping pong, shuffleboard, darts, all kinds of cool stuff. the fish and chips were really good too.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Little loop wing emerger I tied last week. Will fish it this weekend. image
    Well fishing was slow. Got lots of boating time in. 40-50 mile runs thurs and Friday with not much success. Changed the game plan for sat and went to PB 2 about 20 miles away and SUCCESS!!!!' Took 1st and big bass on the tourney. Weighed 5 with about 12.5 lbs. big bass was 4.28. Pretty good weekend.

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me and a friend took our fishing kayaks to a small 4 acre mountain lake in near by Banner Elk. We put in around 9am and took out at noon. Tom, my 72 year old buddy had his 6 weight fly rod and I was fishing my 3 weight. We went after Bluegills with some dry flys and little yellow foam bugs that I tied. The reason we quit was the fish wore us out. I lost count a 16 or 17 with some as big as my hand. I finally lit up a Little Devil and sat sideways in my kayak with my feet in the water and just watched Tom catch fish. Tom turned his boat over taking out and got a wet a--. Great morning for a couple of old coots. As soon as the Gills spawn I will tie some little streamers that look like baby Bluegills as there are Smallmouth and stocked trout in the lake.
    What is everyone's goto bait/ rig. Lately I have been throwing a Carolina with a green pumpkin brush hog on a 4/0 wide gap. Typically dragging across rocks at any depth. Been working great.

Oh... On 50lb braid with a 17 mono leader.

• RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My youngest sons first fish, same for my daughter.  My oldest caught his first keeper walleye. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just found this thread. I am a feesh-a-Holic when I ain't falling through the clouds. 

Nice piggy from yesterday. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    matkn293 said:
    What is everyone's goto bait/ rig. Lately I have been throwing a Carolina with a green pumpkin brush hog on a 4/0 wide gap. Typically dragging across rocks at any depth. Been working great.

I am typically a jig guy.  Jigs are so versatile.  Can be fished fast or slow, shallow or deep, in rocks or weeds.  I always have a rod rigged with one, no matter where I am fishing. 
    edited July 2015
    Took the boy out fishing today with my dad. First time out in the ranger. At first he wanted to go fishing but not in the boat. After he got in and used to it he wanted to take rides rather than fish. 

LOL.  Been there,  At that age, its not really about the fishing, its about patience.  :)

@ matkn293 my go to is a jig or a 3/4oz tungsten with a 5/0 trokar and usually the breen crazy leg chigger craw. I love fishing deep but also love pitching. I haven't gotten out much this year due to my fishing buddy having back surgery but so far the thing that's been killing it is the lunker hunt frogs
    Money can't buy taste
    edited July 2015
    @ matkn293 my go to is a jig or a 3/4oz tungsten with a 5/0 trokar and usually the breen crazy leg chigger craw. I love fishing deep but also love pitching. I haven't gotten out much this year due to my fishing buddy having back surgery but so far the thing that's been killing it is the lunker hunt frogs
    Big and heavy. I am usually a crankbait spinner guy, that is until I started messing around with the Carolina. It is my new goto. 

matkn293 said:
    Big and heavy. I am usually a crankbait spinner guy, that is until I started messing around with the Carolina. It is my new goto. 
    You need to try mat punching it's really fun! I got my buddy into it a few years ago and now that's all he wants to do
    Money can't buy taste
    I'm sure I've asked this but do any of you guys and gals upgrade your reels? Every reel I get I install abec 7 hybrid bearings and upgrade the drag discs. I'm thinking of putting on new handles but haven't found many I like. FYI the bps pro qualifier upgrades great and actually out performs my revos. 
    Money can't buy taste
    I have not done any upgrades yet but will probably this winter. I too have a pro qualifier and its on my JM Carbonlite crank Rod. I like it better than the Revo s on my AG Veritas crank Rod. I also have 2 BPS Tourney Nitro Z's that are greAt as well. Esp since I picked them up on special for $60 ea. my favorite right now is the 7'3" heavy Carbonlite with a 6:4:1 Carbonlite reel. I am going to mod the revo, pro qualifier, nitro Z's, and an Orra that I have on a spinnerbait Rod. 

Interesting, I also use the Pro Qualifiers.  I used to use the Extremes, but liked the PQ's performance better, so I been slowly adding them in, whenever I was able to get them on the cheap.  

How much is the upgrade kit?  Do you get it at BPS?