Home Non Cigar Related

My car the jinx... (pic heavy)

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So i love my Mustang.... Her name WAS Annabelle... She is now known as Jinx. Last week i got in my car and drove to work and noticed a metal on metal noise when i turned left and when braking. Being who i was i drove to work and back home and didnt touch it till monday when i went to a shop to have it worked on. The shop performed a diagnosis, aligned my brakes, repacked and seated my bearings. The issue still happened. After doing some more work they found it to be the back of the drum rubbing on the brake backing due to a warped hub. Before i left i got the mechanics OK to drive the car and was told it was a noise issue and cause no concern to the safety or general use of my car....

This noise continued the next few days and the car was feelin fine while driving. It really was more of a noise issue from what i knew. This morning however proved to be different. I drove to work and stopped at a 7-11. The noise had been pretty consistent on my drive in. As i pulled into the 7-11 lot i heard a *BAM* as my drivers side front wheel and tire blew off my car, dropped the nose into the ground, and slid to a stop. Needless to say my car is now at a body shop and my insurance company is hard at work on my claim. I am now at home nursing aches and pains as well as a 3 inch gash on my leg from my dash.

Not more than 5 minutes before this happened i was on the freeway going 60mph. After that i was in twisty winding roads with drop offs on either side.... No other cars or people were involved. I know sure as S**T that God was watching out for me. What a morning.

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy $hit man glad you are ok.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'd be having a very serious talk with the mechanic shop who told you it was safe to drive on it. Can you say "Lit - I - Gay - Shun"??? Somebody there obviously doesn't know his azz from a hole in the ground....??
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Just have to wait on the body shop to finish their estimate and investigation on what exactly failed. I was looking closer at my pics and it looks like the spindle was sheered in half... it wasnt just my hub that was the issue if that is the case...
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sucks, hopefully it is only cosmetic.
    Heard snippets of there being suspension damage and damage to the A-arm. but i have nothing confirmed. Might be a while before i get info sadly.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    I would argue sir, to change her name to lucky, she held out till you WERE off the hwy, that's good lookin out! Sweet ride too LC!
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad your okay Chris, Definitely need to have a "chat" with that mechanic
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    The shop performed a diagnosis, aligned my brakes, repacked and seated my bearings. The issue still happened. After doing some more work they found it to be the back of the drum rubbing on the brake backing due to a warped hub.
    The drum was rubbing because the spindle was cracked.
    They should have caught it when the bearings were repacked.
    If it wasn't caught, it was because the tech didn't look well enough or clean it well enough.

Do you see the half moon part of the spindle? That is the initial crack.
    It was most likely on the bottom side of the spindle.
    That is why you clean the spindle really well and inspect it on the bottom side and top.
    You can see how the drum was rubbing on the top of the backing plate.

And just so you know, warped drums won't rub on the backing plate...Unless the lug nuts have come loose, then that is a whole different thing. Even then, the only time I've seen the drum rub the backing plate is when wheel bearings have come loose or the spindle cracks.
    And buddy, that crack had to be pretty sizable.

This is why techs need to learn properly, instead of being trained in a classroom on computers.
    When they put the hub back together and the drum was rubbing, they should have been really looking to see why. An experienced tech wouldn't have blamed the drum withouth actually measuring the drum. Which would have taken all but 5 minutes to do.
    What's that? They didn't have the tools to measure it? Set it on a flat floor. You'll know right away.
    The lack of experience is what caused this.

Just my opinion.

Oh yeah, you sure she's not named "Christine"?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a positive note this might be the jumpstart you needed to get started on the disc brake conversion.
    That info is actually pretty interesting.... I had noticed the color differences of where the spindle was sheered and didn't really think too much into it.
    Soooooooo. They still haven't torn my car down yet to diagnose any structural damage. will know more soon... I ended up getting the hub I ordered in the mail yesterday AND will be dropping it off at the body shop tomorrow. The cost of my hub will be deducted from my insurance deductible. :) Good news there! :) But as for the remainder... we will see what the estimate the damages come out to be. For now the ENTIRE front drivers side suspension is getting replaced, new brakes (duh lol) and a full alignment. Once it is torn down there may be more.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ugh!! Glad your ok though!! I agree with tony and unfortunately this is what happens with older cars and a not so awesome budget. I've seen people go nuts replacing part after part and keep having issues. It really sucks but really the best and safest way is to have a good mech and body guy go over the car and have them replace and reinforce everything possible. But yeah I know we don't all have that money as I'm a broke idiot and actually now needs to buy a new car. But I feel for you man!! I've had cars I wish I had kept since I just really loved them but couldn't afford replacing everything that went bad plus didn't have the time
    Money can't buy taste
    short update. Say my car on Thursday. The fender and front suspension took all the damage in the accident. No structural issues or further damage found. :) Parts have been ordered and she is on her way to be repaired.
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's great, hope you have back on the road soon.
    Insurance FINALLY gave the OK to repair my car. :)