Home Cigar 101
Options

tupperdor

I would like to hear anyone's input on what would be the best plastic container to keep my cigars in. I have bought a couple of airtight containers but they are too small or the seal isn't good enough. Maybe the cigar community can give me some options or names of some airtight containers that would work and that is not too big or too small. THANKS TO THE CIGAR COMMUNITY.

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you choose you'll want to make sure it has a good seal around the lid, or (as it sounds like you've already found out) it won't hold the RH.

Usually the one's designed for food storage will have good seals and "snap/locks-in" the whole way around.
    Similar to these.

Not sure how big you want but a lot of the folks use large plastic coolers. Coleman/Igloo/etc. any brand will do, as long as the lid closes and forms a good seal.
    Tons of space inside those that will allow you to store whole boxes
    Keep an eye out the supermarket's/big-box home improvement stores usually have decent sales on coolers around Memorial Day.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Google Iris Airtight Storage Box... you'll be glad you did. I just bought my 4th 46.6qt. http://www.amazon.com/IRIS-Weathertight-Storage-46-6-Quart/dp/B003OXNISG Iris Airtight 46qt.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks I appreciate the help
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc:
    Google Iris Airtight Storage Box... you'll be glad you did. I just bought my 4th 46.6qt. http://www.amazon.com/IRIS-Weathertight-Storage-46-6-Quart/dp/B003OXNISG Iris Airtight 46qt.
    Thank you for the link, Pete! -Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    jarubla:
    peter4jc:
    Thank you for the link, Pete! -Jay

The other thing I like about these boxes is that the sides are fairly flat, and the corners tight so that trays will stack well and not waste too much space.

I just got a nice 2.75" x 6" x 40" chunk of spanish cedar today, purchased on ebay, that I'm going to turn into 8 trays which measure 2.5" x 8" x 12", four trays per box that'll leave room for cigar boxes in the other half. Should be a fun day playing with the table saw and clamps tomorrow! $44 for the wood, and a few hours of fun... not a bad cost for 8 trays, assuming I still have all my fingers at the end of the day. ;-)
  • Options
    Pete, sounds like a good project!

Post a thread w/ some pics? Would love to follow along.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok first you don't have to start a new thread every time you post something about the same thing! Second if your in that much of a hurry and don't check if the seal is good then weather stripping can help. But why buy containers for this without checking the seal?? Seriously this is like buying a car and not taking it for a test drive... You can listen to everyone but it comes down to what you really want so just go out look things over and buy it if it's up to your standards
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Cool, thanks Lee!

In some other forums they want us to break out the threads, good to know!

-Jay

• Options
    jarubla:
    Cool, thanks Lee!

In some other forums they want us to break out the threads, good to know!

-Jay

I'll bet that was directed at the OP.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry if I came off as a @$$ but yeah when I look for a new container I look for good insulation and seal...insulation helps fight temp swings which is why all of us use coolers
    Money can't buy taste