Home General Discussion

Every day cigars (saving the best for the weekend)

hello all, I'm some what new here and would like to gather your suggestions for some every day less expensive cigars.

i have a small collection of the "good" stuff, cohiba, Arturo Fuentes, Romeo y julieta.  These have all been fabulous $8 - $15 cigars but would like to save them and my retirement money for the weekends... 

Being an Arturo Fuentes fan for some time, I bought a box of Curley heads for my weekday evening smoke... I must say that I am extremely happy with these $2.60 smokes, only 1 bad one out of the box so far and running low.

i was just getting ready to buy another box and was wondering if I shouldn't try something different for the next round.

anyone have any good experiences to share? 

What at are your favorites ?

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    First of all, welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good information to search through at this site and a bunch of knowledgeable people. Enjoy!

Second, a question like this is likely to get just about every cigar in the world suggested if you give it a few days. I think you'll find buying cigars from Ccom's daily deals and weekend blitzes is very affordable and a great way to try a variety of cigars while only committing to 5 packs. There are literally tons of choices of cigars in the 2-4 dollar range on these deals.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree on the daily deals. Find a great variety at a really good discount 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to our forums. Since you smoke full body cigars, look at getting a cab of Illusione Rothchildes. They average out to about $4.xx per cigar and if you find them on sale, they can be had under $4.

Then there's the Man O'War line. Lots of goodness in their selection especially if you give them some rest.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • TemmehTemmeh Posts: 12
    Thanks for the comment BigH..

i will will certainly continue grabbing the best of the best as I can.. 

After quitting cigarettes after 30 some years, I look forward to that one (or two :smile: ) delightful 'end of a long day' cigar and downtime..

my first ccom purchase of some nice 5 packs have been a joy..

• youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • SecretSquirrelSecretSquirrel Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    no... just no.
    welcome to the threads! some really nice smokes that are also quite inexpensive are from the myfather line. I really enjoy the flor de las antillas, but there are others as well. also the flor fina 858 by fuente. however, one that has really stood out for me is the la herencia cubana core. I love this stick for when im doing countless hours of homework and writing. surf around on the interwebs for some great deals on these.
    Yeah the white owl and swisher sweets don't work for me ...

will check out out the my father and other for sure 
    LA Perla morado... great stick for the price also
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting this. I literally was thinking the same. I like to have a smoke every night but need a few good choices that don't break the bank, saving my premiums for the weekends. I'll be checking back in on this thread regularly, taking copious notes. LOL
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    $2.60 for a stick you like? Keep buying those while you explore new options. Welcome to the forum.

BOLO for these on sale - Ramon Bueso Genesis Robustos

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 on the daily deals and weekend blitzes, great chance to try some new smokes at a discount and Free Shipping too.  
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out the Thrifty Fifty ($99.99) on ccom.  They have some really good cigars and four Cohibas for $2 per stick.  They are not all full bodied, but they are decent cigars and you can't beat the price.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don Pepin Garcia Blue. You can find these often for $4 a stick. I like the Man O War line as well. MOW Puro Authentico and Ruination coronas are my daily smokes. 
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picking up the slack since Rain hasn't been around?

Thoughts on Gran Habano Vintage 2002?  Looks like we can get a mazo of 20 Robustos for $39.99   www.cigar.com/CGPS193

Expires 5/31.  Seems like a good deal to me.  I am hopeful they are decent. 

skydiverD said:

Thoughts on Gran Habano Vintage 2002?  Looks like we can get a mazo of 20 Robustos for $39.99   www.cigar.com/CGPS193

I've taken a couple chances on deals like that. some are good, some are not so good. either way, the price is right to try something new. just be careful with the box purchases, you might come across something unsmokable, and get left with 19 more sticks you don't want
    The Gran Habano 2002 is a great deal. As long as YOU like it. Many here do like it. I think it's just OK. I bought a mazo a couple of years ago and still haven't finished them. 

Another bargain stick that I think is worth your time to try is the 
     Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Flight Sampler 

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/894079/Sol%20Cubano%20Cuban%20Cabinet%20Flight%20Sampler

since you're just starting out, look for sampler deals like the thrifty fifty or delicious dozen and so forth. they are amazing deals and you get a nice variety. if you happen to really like one of em and need more, then maybe buy a box, or what I did and buy more delicious dozens :D
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand "yard gar". I smoke CV5G everywhere, yard or house. I do occasionally plan for a long smoke and a drink or 2 when I know I have the time coming up. Thank You @peter4jc, @allsmokedup
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skydiverD said:

They are Decent, the robusto is much better than the Churchill Imo. I think I have one left from a couple years ago. Something with a bit more spice and body is the Nicaraguan 90+ 2nds
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums!! Plus one for Secret Squirrel/ La Herencia is really good also Punch (all of them) is good/strong and affordable, and Diesel to (but let them rest a long time) ManOWar is one of my current faves, La Pearla, LaAroma, HC Maduro, and Defiance, all are good for the price too. It all comes down to personal preference, really. Imma haveta get me some of those curly heads, I noticed the price point the other day but havent pulled the trigger, on a side note the AF Short Stories are awesome tho, if you havent tried one :)
    Thanks for the input guys. Good stuff. I love getting into this hobby. It's like a whole new world of awesome has just opened up to me. 
    edited May 2015
    since you're just starting out, look for sampler deals like the thrifty fifty or delicious dozen and so forth. they are amazing deals and you get a nice variety. if you happen to really like one of em and need more, then maybe buy a box, or what I did and buy more delicious dozens D
    Thrifty fifty is on my radar. I am sitting on way too small of a humidor. LOL. Waiting for my wife to get me a bigger one for fathers day. The wait is slowly killing me.  :D
    Such good advise, looks like I have a summer full of cigars  to try.
    on a side note, went out golfing yesterday after the crappy weather passed, brought my old faithful AF Curley and a punch(forgot to note which but maybe $7 or so at b&m) ...
    started first 9 with the AF and saved the punch for back 9..
    my observation is ... Man there is a difference .  Although to my reading the Curleys are from scraps of a1 AFs and I know the $7 punch is not a davidoff, there sure is a difference...I guess it is a lot like ordering rail cocktails vs top shelf... The top shelf is gooooood.

thanks all... Keep the thoughts rollin
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    The Gran Habano 2002 is a great deal. As long as YOU like it. Many here do like it. I think it's just OK. I bought a mazo a couple of years ago and still haven't finished them. 

Another bargain stick that I think is worth your time to try is the 
     Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Flight Sampler 

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/894079/Sol%20Cubano%20Cuban%20Cabinet%20Flight%20Sampler

These are great, but meke sure they get a month in the humidor, and they NEED to be smoked slowly.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skydiverD said:
    since you're just starting out, look for sampler deals like the thrifty fifty or delicious dozen and so forth. they are amazing deals and you get a nice variety. if you happen to really like one of em and need more, then maybe buy a box, or what I did and buy more delicious dozens D
    Thrifty fifty is on my radar. I am sitting on way too small of a humidor. LOL. Waiting for my wife to get me a bigger one for fathers day. The wait is slowly killing me.  :D
    Save the money on a bigger humidor and look into getting a cooler.  More than likely it will cost you lest and provide a lot more storage than a good size quality wood humidor will cost.  I think I have about $75 into my 70qt cooler and it holds at least 500 cigars.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    skydiverD said:
    Save the money on a bigger humidor and look into getting a cooler.  More than likely it will cost you lest and provide a lot more storage than a good size quality wood humidor will cost.  I think I have about $75 into my 70qt cooler and it holds at least 500 cigars.
    Yes. Newbies pay attention. Wood humidors are over-rated. 
    @avengethis and bob, bought a 

Dumaine 60 Humidor

From ccom so I have some room.. Having issues breaking the 60 rh but  hoping summer will help....

Topic change.... So what do y'all think about box pressed ( I call them flat heads)

got some Romeo y Juliet viejos in a sampler and looking for others thoughts before I review ...
    @temmeh...make sure you "season" your humidor. Start by wiping the inside down with a wet not saturated cloth of distiller water. Wipe away any standing water. Also use beads, they are easier to maintain than the sponges.
    -- Winston Churchill