Home Non Cigar Related

How come,.............?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Actors ha! If they're actors, how come they can't act like their movie prop luggage has something besides air in it? Physical effort is built into the name. Luggage. From the word lug. (lug: VERB To carry or drag a heavy or bulky object with great effort.) But, there's no effort. It's distracting. 

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, that's a good observation, I don't get how in movies no one has to pay for a cab, it stops and they emiditly exit the cab.  Never understood that one.  Sorry to jack your thread.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Bad acting or bad directing?  
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Both
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True. Or, come to think of it, the prop guy could just take the initiative to add some bricks. Even he knows that packed luggage is heavy. 
    Continuity is fun to watch too, cigars get bigger as they smoke them, drinks re-fill, shirts button and unbutton themselves.  Is it me or were there longer takes between cuts to get different camera angles before?  Seems to me the camera would move to a different angle, panning, zooming and even using objects as a frame to film through during that take, smoothly without stopping.  Now look what you've done to me Bob, lol.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just re-watched Get Shorty. Chili Palmer pulls up to Martin Weir's house in the Cadillac of Minivans -- van pointing left. Comes out a few minutes later, Martin wants to take it for a spin, the van is pointing right. 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many years ago (1965, I think) I had a chance to ask Director Norman Jewison about these types of inconsistencies and he told me it all had to do with the story-line of the movie. If the story was a strong, compelling one people wouldn't notice the glitches. If the story-line was weak, folks would pick out the inconsistencies due to boredom....   B)
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one that always gets me is 3 men and a baby. The scene where the boy is standing behind the curtain and the one with the shotgun give me chills. Don't know if the story behind it is true or not but it freaks me out. 
    Cuts in camera angles that reveal little inconsistencies are the most common thing that distract me. Just watched a show last night and there was a quick cut from the left side of this actresses's face to her right. Her smile disappeared and she was looking down at a slightly different angle. I guess they didn't wan't me to notice because the focal point was supposed to be on the other actor when they edited in that cut. But, I can't help it. I noticed. 
    ^ ^  But if her boobies were out you never would have noticed I bet.

(I was pretty sure I had brought up this subject before. I checked, and Necro!) Recently, I was watching a 2019 movie set in 1977. One of the actors sneezed into the crook of their arm. That totally distracted me because I was certain we didn't start doing that until maybe,....this century. When did we start doing that? Anyway, I hate it when they distract me with some trivial action or phrase that's out of place for the time period they are portraying.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I hate when there is a movie that some guys is working on a car and they've made absolutely no effort in trying to be the least bit accurate in what they are doing and the parts they are using.
    I know, most people don't know the difference.

But if you put a blower on an engine with 12:1 pistons with Nitrous Oxide, you have't made a performance engine, you made a bomb and it is only a matter of how quickly it will go off

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.

And don't forget gun gaffs. I was watching a show recently where this gal dropped the magazine out of a semi-auto pistol, pulled the slide back to check that the chamber was empty. Then replaced the loaded magazine, without chambering a round. She handed it off to her boyfriend who immediately shot his own foot, magically, without chambering a round.

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to watch the Jimmy Hendrix docu-drama recently.
    The actor obviously doesn’t play guitar, and they didn’t even attempt to teach him how to fake it. One scene of the guy “playing” onstage was more than enough.
    No recoil and throwing bullets out of a pistol is another good one.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

@0patience said:
    I hate when there is a movie that some guys is working on a car and they've made absolutely no effort in trying to be the least bit accurate in what they are doing and the parts they are using.
    I know, most people don't know the difference.

But if you put a blower on an engine with 12:1 pistons with Nitrous Oxide, you have't made a performance engine, you made a bomb and it is only a matter of how quickly it will go off

It's the same for medical shows. Funny thing, the only time you see really good nursing care depicted it's always being done by a doctor, who would NEVER sully his/her hands with such a task.

(There are exceptions, but not many)

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I hate when the actors cokc a gun multiple times. Even worse, they add in a cocking sound to hammer-less guns like Glocks.

Apparently, you can't say cokc.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.