Home Non Cigar Related

M1 license

blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
So I'm looking to get my M1(motorcycle) license and I'm looking for feedback on what kind of bike I should get. I rode bikes back in high school, but that's been almost 30 years ago so I have almost forgot what it's like to ride a bike.

I have been looking at an Indian Scout or Chief, Triumph Bonneville, or Harley 1200 Sportster. Any thought on what is good for a returning rider. I want something easy to ride, yet won't get me bored after 6 months of riding. Also anything that allows 2 up easily is a plus. 

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Blu,

As far as HD goes, they sporty will be too small for two up if you want to do that type of riding often. My wife and I aren't tall and I had to trade up from my sporty to a dyna. We got an FXDB and it was significantly more comfortable. 

Congrats on the endorsement, and stay safe out there!

Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Jarubla.  Back in the '80s, stationed in Germany, I was going to get a Sportster.  At 6'2", 230, was way too small for two-up.  Got a Super-Glide, FXR, forerunner of Jarubla's bike.  Much better. 

There's lots of choices out there these days.  Many good bikes.  Have you considered the MSF safety class for returning riders?  Couldn't hurt.

I don't think the Scout is built with 2-up in mind, either.  That Chief should do the trick, though.

Good luck.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    blutattoo said:
    So I'm looking to get my M1(motorcycle) license and I'm looking for feedback on what kind of bike I should get. I rode bikes back in high school, but that's been almost 30 years ago so I have almost forgot what it's like to ride a bike.

I have been looking at an Indian Scout or Chief, Triumph Bonneville, or Harley 1200 Sportster. Any thought on what is good for a returning rider. I want something easy to ride, yet won't get me bored after 6 months of riding. Also anything that allows 2 up easily is a plus. 

Here is how to avoid making classic motorcycle mistake number one =>

Look thru craigslist for a used rice burner under $2k. Ride it for a year, then sell it for what you paid. Do not get your dream bike until then. Here's the deal: When* you drop your old beater because you are awkward out of practice you will not be heartbroken. After you ride your old beater for a while you will have a way better idea if you even want to do this. After you ride your old beater for a while you will know what you really want. After you ride your old beater around for a while you will be capable of toting the old lady on pillion.

You will thank me later.

* notice I did not say "if"

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Have you considered the MSF safety class for returning riders?  Couldn't hurt.

Uh, well, any small grain of common sense argues for those classes. Problem is, the best stats argue against them. There are tons of studies on the subject from all over the globe. Most of them use very poor methodology. All the decent studies agree, tho: Your chances of an accident are slightly increased after an MSF class; beginner, refresher, expert, or you name it.

Don't shoot the messenger. Don't insist on telling me what you believe. I agree it makes common sense. I know that tons of people believe in them. It just turns out that neither common sense nor belief make anything true.

So, yes, they can hurt. Oddly enough.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Jarubla.  Back in the '80s, stationed in Germany, I was going to get a Sportster.  At 6'2", 230, was way too small for two-up.  Got a Super-Glide, FXR, forerunner of Jarubla's bike.  Much better. 

There's lots of choices out there these days.  Many good bikes.  Have you considered the MSF safety class for returning riders?  Couldn't hurt.

I don't think the Scout is built with 2-up in mind, either.  That Chief should do the trick, though.

Good luck.
    Well in CA you don't have to take the class to get your license, but if you do it removes the requirement for taking a riding test to get your license. Since I want to get my license before I buy anything I'm going to take the class since they provide all the gear. Even if it is a Honda Rebel 250 lol.
    webmost said:
    blutattoo said:

Here is how to avoid making classic motorcycle mistake number one =>

Look thru craigslist for a used rice burner under $2k. Ride it for a year, then sell it for what you paid. Do not get your dream bike until then. Here's the deal: When* you drop your old beater because you are awkward out of practice you will not be heartbroken. After you ride your old beater for a while you will have a way better idea if you even want to do this. After you ride your old beater for a while you will know what you really want. After you ride your old beater around for a while you will be capable of toting the old lady on pillion.

You will thank me later.

* notice I did not say "if"

Yeah this is an excellent piece of advice. I'm trying to find something that fits the bill now. My only concern is finding something comfortable and reliable. There are a million choices for less than 3k. 
    edited November 2015
    webmost said:

Have you considered the MSF safety class for returning riders?  Couldn't hurt.

Uh, well, any small grain of common sense argues for those classes. Problem is, the best stats argue against them. There are tons of studies on the subject from all over the globe. Most of them use very poor methodology. All the decent studies agree, tho: Your chances of an accident are slightly increased after an MSF class; beginner, refresher, expert, or you name it.

Don't shoot the messenger. Don't insist on telling me what you believe. I agree it makes common sense. I know that tons of people believe in them. It just turns out that neither common sense nor belief make anything true.

So, yes, they can hurt. Oddly enough.
    Wouldn't dream of shooting the messenger.  Not arguing, the MSF classes started well and dwindled downward in efficiency and effectiveness ever after.  There are several states abandoning them in favor of better methods right now. 

Still, it actually gets you onto a bike.  Step One.

I had to take them 3 different times, 3 different duty stations, and at first really resented it, as I'd been licensed for almost 2 decades the first time I had to do it.  The best one was the German school, very real world, as in No Cones, No Parking Lot drills, just real world riding with the instructor talking to me in my helmet as he followed in a car. 

That said,

How about that Scout?  Is 2-up realistic on it?  Sure is a fine looking machine.

oh, and I like the beater idea.  Perfect.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this thread. I started riding a few years back....after I took the class I was ready for a bike but had no idea what type of bike I wanted. Did some minimal research and decided on a used Yamaha VStar. Damn thing only had 30 miles on it when I bought it for under 3k. It's a 250 which was all well and good at the time...and now I am in the market to buy a Harley..I've been looking at the sporters a good bit. I don't have to worry about ever putting my on a bike. She hates them. Oh well. Keep us updated Blu.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always told (by many experience riders), to not get a second hand for practice and get the bike you want later.  Instead, get the bike that you want now. 
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    edited November 2015
    "How about that Scout?  Is 2-up realistic on it?  Sure is a fine looking machine."

If what you mean by 2-up is both of you ride to the bar, is all, and she has a real tiny butt, then, yeah, you can get by; but if her butt is womanly, she will not be happy perched on taint. If what you mean by 2-up is you want to tote her to a distant bed-and-breakfast in the mountains for the weekend (a wonderful hobby, BTW) then, no. No matter how tiny her butt is. you will need a big half ton bagger with a rack on the trunk to tote all the crap she insists on bringing along. Scout makes a superb long distance mount for one guy for any number of days. Girls are different. They need to bring the kitchen sink, 48 species of chemicals, spare boots, a hair dryer (cause even tho they know the place you are going has a hair dryer, it's not THEIR hair dryer), slippers,  etc. etc., unlimited etc, and also more etc.

"
    I am always told (by many experience riders), to not get a second hand for practice and get the bike you want later.  Instead, get the bike that you want now. "

There's no such thing as "
    the bike that you want". If you do it right, you will own a whole series of various types of murdersickles. Speed bikes, camping bikes, touring bikes, cruiser bikes, project bikes, commuter bikes, rat bikes, something to polish, something to work on, something to ride the hell out of, something to sell. Don't think about the bike you want now. Think about the bike you want next. Start out with something that will tell you if you even want to get into it. A beater to drop. That either starts the series or not.

I usually have three or so at a time. More than that, it gets hard to keep them all rode. Less than that, there's something you want to do that you don't have the right mount for. Right now, for instance, I have the big beemer bagger to tote TOWMBO to a distant B&B, a KLR to go camping, and the Indian Scout for commuting and distant solo travel. I might ditch the bagger next spring to make room for a project.

webmost said:
    "How about that Scout?  Is 2-up realistic on it?  Sure is a fine looking machine."

If what you mean by 2-up is both of you ride to the bar, is all, and she has a real tiny butt, then, yeah, you can get by; but if her butt is womanly, she will not be happy perched on taint. If what you mean by 2-up is you want to tote her to a distant bed-and-breakfast in the mountains for the weekend (a wonderful hobby, BTW) then, no. No matter how tiny her butt is. you will need a big half ton bagger with a rack on the trunk to tote all the crap she insists on bringing along. Scout makes a superb long distance mount for one guy for any number of days. Girls are different. They need to bring the kitchen sink, 48 species of chemicals, spare boots, a hair dryer (cause even tho they know the place you are going has a hair dryer, it's not THEIR hair dryer), slippers,  etc. etc., unlimited etc, and also more etc.

And that, friends, is why Amos rides an Electra Glide, with air-hawk and sheepskin on the seat, and luggage rack on the tour pack.  The art of compromise.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Jason, man I wish we lived closer together because I would take the class with you. 
    james40 said:
    Jason, man I wish we lived closer together because I would take the class with you. 
    That'd be awesome. A bit of a drive to get to class though.

@webmost You might have talked me into getting something with a smaller seat. Her discomfort might mean more solo time for me!
    blutattoo said:
    james40 said:
    That'd be awesome. A bit of a drive to get to class though.

@webmost You might have talked me into getting something with a smaller seat. Her discomfort might mean more solo time for me!
    HA! Odd you say that. Bearswatter has finally, after years in the barcalounger, achieved a state of health where she can no longer take a 600 mile ride starting at five a.m. to fetch up in rural Kentucky by dusk to attend the rodeo next afternoon, drink in the bar, and return 600 miles next day. It's a fact. I cannot convince her of the fact; but it's a fact nonetheless. Last year she went in and out of hospital, first for pneumonia, then embolism, then guts. Three ambulance trips. Still, between hospital visits she wrangled with me all the while. She was just as certain that her days of adventure had not yet gone as I was dead certain that they had. So what I did, last April I got the Scout, Sopowa, with a solo seat, and I bought her a new Equinox, and I parked the big beemer until the battery died. Then I proceeded to ride solo to upstate NY 900 miles, then to Minnesota & back 3k miles, then the length of the Blue Ridge... all without her along ... to demonstrate exactly what I meant by the word "no". 

I think she is finally, reluctantly, caving. This weekend we will take our first, albeit short, jaunt in the Equinox. Just a day trip. Lancaster, Columbia, etc. Feed her up in the best restaurant I can find.

Yep. If you want the old lady along on the bike, get a big old warthog of a bike with a big butt seat. If you don't, then get that nifty Scout, and put a rack where that pillion would go.

Two wheels is so much more fun.

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys are pernicious.  I shouldn't have read this thread, because now I really want to get a bike.  Even if just to commute around the area, because we have some great windy roads.  @webmost knows what I'm talking about.  Riding over to Lancaster or Gettysburg on a whim is nothing.  I know guys who do it on bicycles.  Gahhhhhhh.  I don't need any reasons to spend money!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Listen, you have got it all backwards. Living where you live, serving God for meager reward, you cannot afford NOT to commute and run errands on a motorcycle whenever circumstances allow.

Put this in your pocket calculator:

My KLR650 cost me $2,900 less than a year old, with 6,000 miles on it. I have 50,000 miles on it now. That machine gets 57 mpg. That's right. A nickel a mile. At the time I bought it, Bearswatter's V8 Durango got 11 mpg. That's 30 cents a mile. Simple fact is, we were saving a buck every four miles. Four into forty four thou means I saved eleven grand in gas alone, minus the cost of twenty nine hundred. Eight grand clear. Last Spring, I bought Bearswatter a Chevy Equinox with a teensy four banger and an ECO button. She gets about 20 mpg round town. So, say we only save fifteen cents a mile. Times 44 thou, you got $6,600. Doing this in my head, so pull out your own calc and sit down with the old lady. Ask her: "How many parishioners do I have to visit for this thing to pay for itself?" They ride bikes for other than toy purposes all over the world. Here in the USA, we are too proud to. Pride is a sin. Keep your Bible dry inside a trunk on the rack, you're good to go. Do your members good to see that their shepherd is a frugal fellow. It's their money; they'll appreciate it.

That's just the gas, Martel. Now check this out: 

I insure three motorcycles for $180 per year. Did you hear that? Per Year! I spend more than that each month insuring Bearswatter's car. 

No. I'm telling you. Keep track how many miles you put on your car just doing church business, multiply time gas savings, discover that you can't afford not to. Next time you hesitate to run some charitable errand because how are you going to spend the gas, think: "This would be chump change on a bike." Nobody needs to blow thirty grand on a full dresser Hardly Ableson to ride to the tavern dressed like a pirate. Buy an old rice burner for a song and get your hair in the breeze while doing God's work.

You know I'm right. 
    Just have to break the mold.

Well it's party time! Completed my motorcycle safety course last Sunday, in the rain no less. Oh, and in case you didn't know steering angle + rain + emergency braking is no bueno. 

The bike I was assigned for the course was called the "Widowmaker" by the instructors. A Suzuki GZ250 with 47K miles on the odometer and more slop in the gear lever than a pig pen. This thing had more scratches and dents than I thought possible. The top of the gas tank had a huge dent in it that looked like someone slammed a sledge hammer on it. Not sure how that happened. Maybe someone got pissed when they didn't pass the test. In any case I am off the shop for a bike now.

I am taking Davis's advice. I'm looking for something a little less expensive for the first year or two. I really like the look of the Triumph Bonneville and the Moto Guzzi V7, both of which I can get in the $5k range used. I like the Suzuki C50 and the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 which I can get for about $4k, but my wife hates the thought of me buying a Japanese bike which is a good problem to have I suppose. I'd feel a lot better about dinging one of those than a $12k new Indian. 

I'll keep you all posted. I am going to test a couple out on Monday.
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blutattoo said:
    Well it's party time! Completed my motorcycle safety course last Sunday, in the rain no less. Oh, and in case you didn't know steering angle + rain + emergency braking is no bueno. 

The bike I was assigned for the course was called the "Widowmaker" by the instructors. A Suzuki GZ250 with 47K miles on the odometer and more slop in the gear lever than a pig pen. This thing had more scratches and dents than I thought possible. The top of the gas tank had a huge dent in it that looked like someone slammed a sledge hammer on it. Not sure how that happened. Maybe someone got pissed when they didn't pass the test. In any case I am off the shop for a bike now.

I am taking Davis's advice. I'm looking for something a little less expensive for the first year or two. I really like the look of the Triumph Bonneville and the Moto Guzzi V7, both of which I can get in the $5k range used. I like the Suzuki C50 and the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 which I can get for about $4k, but my wife hates the thought of me buying a Japanese bike which is a good problem to have I suppose. I'd feel a lot better about dinging one of those than a $12k new Indian. 

I'll keep you all posted. I am going to test a couple out on Monday.
    Party time! Congrats. Choose wisely my friend
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
    Congrats Jason!!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

or

Both simple and clean.
    either way, keep the rubber side down.

I love the look of that Triumph.  It's like the woman in the classic little black dress, just right for every occasion.

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just beware of parts and maint on the guzzi and triumph. Being a Honda dealer and used to have the other two brands much easier to get parts and service the Honda,kawis. 
    I love the look of that Triumph.  It's like the woman in the classic little black dress, just right for every occasion.
    Totally agree went and test drove a 2011 with leather bags and a windscreen with 14K miles and all service records for $5500. I offered him 4800, but he said he was firm so I walked. I'll try him again in a week or two to see how badly he wants to sell it. Triumph is redoing the Bonne completely so I think prices are gonna drop like a rock, plus CA riders don't ride in the rain so I don't see it selling anytime soon. 

@genareddog I'm not worried about parts cost really. I only plan on using this for a year or two. After driving heavily modified BMW's for the last 20 years all motorcycle parts are cheap to me. Try spending nearly a grand on brake pads or $1500 on a set of tires and you'll see why my wife wholehearted supports my switch from race cars to a street bike lol. 
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I moved from a 800 Suzuki intruder (had it for 2 years and sold it for $300 more then I paid for it) moved to a Yamaha warrior. Love the warrior but not ideal for long trips so will most likely add a raider soon
    Finally took the plunge. Picked up my triumph bonneville t100 in caspian blue/black! Happy new year to me! Yeehaw
    Looks good, Jason!

Congrats!
    jarubla said:
    Looks good, Jason!

Congrats!
    Thanks brother. I'm super excited. It may be 40 degrees out but I'm going for a ride right now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Congrats on the test and congrats on the beautiful bike. I'm jelly.  Enjoy bro. I'll be up in May and would love to see it. You can ride it down to Russian River brewery. :-)
    james40 said:
    Congrats on the test and congrats on the beautiful bike. I'm jelly.  Enjoy bro. I'll be up in May and would love to see it. You can ride it down to Russian River brewery. :-)
    Road trip for Pliny? Oh that sounds like fun.
    saweet