Home Non Cigar Related

What in the hell?

CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
So the French are attacking ISIS head on with intel that the US provided? Why didn't we do anything with that info? We are now the long standing joke that the French once were. Pathetic.
http://news.yahoo.com/french-warplanes-strike-islamic-state-syria-bastion-210626902.html

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In answer to your question I'd have to say not 'no' but 'hell no'. 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racists.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

BWAHAHAHAHA...!!
    Actually it doesn't surprise me a bit. Will there be any outrage from supporters of the current administration when there's an attack on U.S. soil, though? I doubt it. Too busy worrying about how much free stuff they'll get by voting in the next clowns.
    My kid sister, a rabid Obamaphile, posted a convoluted argument on Facebook yesterday, asserting that the attacks in Paris are George Bush's fault.

Scores of likes

Fools and tools rule.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost said:
    Actually it doesn't surprise me a bit. Will there be any outrage from supporters of the current administration when there's an attack on U.S. soil, though? I doubt it. Too busy worrying about how much free stuff they'll get by voting in the next clowns.
    My kid sister, a rabid Obamaphile, posted a convoluted argument on Facebook yesterday, asserting that the attacks in Paris are George Bush's fault.

Scores of likes

Fools and tools rule.

You have my sympathy, @webmost .....  :s
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    You mean your current administration that has been actively bombing the region for over a year now attempting to target ISIS, but instead killing 459 non combatants, of which over 100 were children, in only 52 air strikes? Over 5700 air strikes as of August and you claim we aren't doing anything? 

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/03/us-led-air-strikes-on-isis-targets-killed-more-than-450-civilians-report 

Why is there no outrage in our country over the innocent people we kill? Are we not as guilty of indiscriminate killing as those we call enemies? Are you proud that your tax dollars support these efforts? 

Let's not sit back and pretend we are doing nothing and continue to blame the President as usual(really that shtick is getting old). Let's also not sit back and pretend what we are doing is correct and without consequence. 

Why is our country spending inordinate amounts of money on unsuccessful campaigns that only cause death and destruction and solve nothing? Violence only leads to more violence. 

You should be mad at your President. I am too, but clearly for different reasons. We cannot as a nation allow our collective outrage to cloud our vision of what the "right" things to do is.

"Ignorant zeal is worthless; haste makes waste."

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo said:
    You mean your current administration that has been actively bombing the region for over a year now attempting to target ISIS, but instead killing 459 non combatants, of which over 100 were children, in only 52 air strikes? Over 5700 air strikes as of August and you claim we aren't doing anything? 

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/03/us-led-air-strikes-on-isis-targets-killed-more-than-450-civilians-report 

Why is there no outrage in our country over the innocent people we kill? Are we not as guilty of indiscriminate killing as those we call enemies? Are you proud that your tax dollars support these efforts? 

Let's not sit back and pretend we are doing nothing and continue to blame the President as usual(really that shtick is getting old). Let's also not sit back and pretend what we are doing is correct and without consequence. 

Why is our country spending inordinate amounts of money on unsuccessful campaigns that only cause death and destruction and solve nothing? Violence only leads to more violence. 

You should be mad at your President. I am too, but clearly for different reasons. We cannot as a nation allow our collective outrage to cloud our vision of what the "right" things to do is.

"Ignorant zeal is worthless; haste makes waste."

459 is not a high number. These wars were/are being fought with more care than ever before. In war people die, that's what happens. Do I think the way this one is being waged correctly? No. We should have never pulled out of Afganistan when we did. Obama is clown though and is always playing to his voters. Hence the immigration stance he is taking. Hence the way he enforces federal laws. Hence his refusal to call Islamic terrorism what it is. Hence his refusal to comment on the killing of police officers and black on black crime. He is a tool.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

459 known from information released on 52 air strikes out of the 5700 we were involved in through early August. Who knows what the total number is. Vastly higher I would imagine. Note these are non-combatants.

459 is not a high number. Do tell, what is a high number? We flip our collective **** over 120+ in Paris? Eh, screw it. That's not very many people. No big deal. 

Playing to his voters? Isn't that what he was elected for? I sure as hell vote for the person who will do the things I want them to. 

Note also, none of your reasons for the President being a "tool" were being discussed in this thread. 

Again, the shtick is getting old, but it appears that's all the right has any more. Congratulations, you should be proud. You have added absolutely nothing of substance to this discussion. 

Republicans have majority in both the House and Senate, but you know, everything in this country is the President's fault. 

Really, try to have a discussion without the vitriol and adolescent finger pointing and name calling. It really isn't that difficult. 

I welcome any thoughtful discussion you are willing to have. 
    You know well that everything the president disagrees with he vetos. I told myself when I started here I wouldn't get involved in politics and religion on here because it's 2 subjects that people can't have a discussion about without hurt feelings. I already broke that but I will now bow out of this conversation. Carry on folks.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

Unfortunately the culture of these fanatics will not stop. It's is funded by almost every wealthy prince in the region. Hell, wahabism which is the root of this form of Islam started in our "closest" ally in the region, Saudi Arabia. It's a war being fought for control of the regions black gold. Always has and always will. 
    -- Winston Churchill

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    agreed.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    If you really want to understand ISIS here is a great article from The Atlantic that gives a clear view of the background behind ISIS, what it is they want, and how they are going about achieving it.

I tend to consider myself pretty knowledgeable and realistic about the middle east and all the players, and  It was a really eye opening article that completely changed how i think we should handle them.  

very interesting:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/?utm_source=SFFB

Hooray, it's Amos! 

I agree with most of your points.

Northern African and Middle Eastern immigrants have been met with xenophobia in parts of Europe for years now; specifically France and UK, both of which have been attacked by jihadists in recent years. I doubt our xenophobia will be met with a different response. 

10000 refugees is a drop in the bucket compared to our total population(322 mil+). We already have one (net) international immigrant coming to the US every 14 seconds. 10000 is only a little over a day and a half worth. Yes they should be thoroughly vetted before being allowed to enter the country. These governors refusing refugees in their states are imbeciles and fear-mongers and don't have the manpower or money to keep people from crossing their state lines. 

Assimilate to what? How do you define "American"? Should we too attempt to assimilate to the American ideal? I bet you could find about as much in common between someone from downtown L.A. and someone from the deep woods of Maine as you could between a Syrian refugee and a cattle rancher from west Texas. My point being there is no one idea of what it is to be an American and that's a good thing.
    I thought this was an interesting opinion piece. Worth a read for all. 
    http://gawker.com/now-our-demons-come-out-1742760572
    Usaf06 said:
    You know well that everything the president disagrees with he vetos. I told myself when I started here I wouldn't get involved in politics and religion on here because it's 2 subjects that people can't have a discussion about without hurt feelings. I already broke that but I will now bow out of this conversation. Carry on folks.
    Also, Obama has had 5 total vetos thus far. Fewest of any President since Garfield. What a power hungry dictator!
    Republicans have only controlled both sides for a year. He wouldn't have vetoed anything the first 4 years and getting both sides to agree on a bill the next two is comical to even send to him. When Bush left office he had a democratic controlled congress and senate. Did everyone blame them? No, Bush was to blame and still is by Obama. 
    -- Winston Churchill

3 of 5 vetos took place prior to last November's elections. One in 2009 and one in 2010.  The other vetos were Union election related and Keystone XL. Any democrat would likely have vetoed these bills. 

I didn't mention Bush, but since you did, in comparison all 12 of his vetos came in the last 2.5 years of his second term.
    Which was when democrats controlled congress
    -- Winston Churchill

• NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's when I light up!
    Fellas feel the botl luv. Let's stress over what we can control and cuss what we cant. I'm grabbing a glass of bourbon, praying for our troups, and firing up a Espinosa courtesy of Shizzmeister 
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
    -- Winston Churchill

• C-LOVEC-LOVE Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
    I'm really offended by some of this rhetoric, I need a safe space.
    I still maintain my faith than humanity is inherently good and that good will prevail over evil. I'll just leave this here. 
    https://youtu.be/eH6mKLqe4Yc

• NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But Charlie...  they can just make a call to the Afghan or Syrian embassy and ask if the immigrant is an upstanding citizen.  <sarcasm>

Since there is no decent way to vet them, I say leave them where they are.  And I agree, that as long as there are homeless veterans, take care of them.

But then, all the White House has to do is send the 10,000 Syrians a ticket to Mexico, and they can make it into the US through the sieve-like border.

I also don't buy the left's argument criticizing those against the idea by saying, "Hey, your parents were let in, so you're being two-faced."  Those were different times.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis