Home Cigar 101

Toasting a Cigar?

CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
I am a newbie on the forums but been smoking for 2 years now and came across "toasting"

Why do you toast a cigar before you light it and how do you do it?
How do make this text turn upside down?

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!

Toasting is a slow lighting method--when I started out, I had the same question, and YouTube has some very helpful tips. Check em out!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main point is you want to encourage your cigar to burn, not force it. The idea is to avoid a harsher, scorched flavor.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    What these guys said. I always explain it as letting the heat from the flame light the cigar. Don't let the flame itself touch the cigar. It will take longer and you'll be refilling your lighters more often, but the initial flavors will be better.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and it helps ensure an even burn since toasting will help you light the foot more uniformly.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

peter4jc said:
    ...and it helps ensure an even burn since toasting will help you light the foot more uniformly.
    Peter is right on here. The science behind this is similar to the reason we could over charcoal not fresh wood (generally speaking): in the charcoal burns more uniformly. When you toast the foot and lighter light the cigar you get a much more even burn to start. Then of the cigar is rolled properly the good burn should remain assuming you are smokibe properly 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I just bought a torch lighter and tried it out. I definitely got a less harsh taste at the beginning of the cigar when I was toasting it. Used a lot of gas but I had a better light.
    How do make this text turn upside down?
  • ol_smokey1ol_smokey1 Posts: 26
    It's a myth fabricated by the torch/butane lighter companies so that we eat through our fuel faster...

All kidding aside, I'm sure it definitely plays into the taste/burn of the cigar, not to mention the experience--one that should not be rushed, but enjoyed leisurely.  That being said, I always find myself too impatient hah!  Although boy, I bet one cigar would eat up half your fuel in a nice torch lighter.  I always seem to scorch the foot of mine...whoops...
  • UseAsDirectedUseAsDirected Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Seems like I pretty much do the same thing. I use it to create an even burn before I put it to my mouth. As I start the cigar off I take a big buff and blow it at the end to ensure the burn is still even.

I've used matches, lighters and light sticks...I haven't noticed a difference really.
    "Even a fool has a talent"
    -That one guy
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Different strokes for different folks, as long as it works and your good with the results that's all that counts. For me I use a torch and completely toast the foot until it has a nice even cherry, blow on it a couple of times and I'm lit. I smoke 9 to 11 cigars a week, a 400ml can of Xikar cost about $10 and last over a year. I can taste the difference and for me the cost of the extra fuel is worth it.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Don't forget the ritual aspect. Smoking a cigar is supposed to be an experience ( mowing the yard and other chores aside) Especially when it's something new you've been dying to try. You all know what I'm talking about. You roll it aroound in your fingers carefully looking at it then smelling it and loosing yourself in the aroma before finally toasting the foot then you get a whiff of that heated tobacco that makes your mouth water. Who says I can't write p0rn?
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gatsby Approves of this toast conversation
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch