Home Non Cigar Related

Windows 10 issues

twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well I upgraded my HP 360 to windows 10 2 days ago. Seems everything it said it would has been opposite. More responsive touch screen >>>NO half the time doesn't even work. Quicker web interfacing HECK NO,,,,Couldn't even log on to face book or cigar.com last night .kept telling me couldn't find those address!!!REALLY   .Just really having problems was wondering if I am the only one?????
no matter where you go, there you are.

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything is working for me but the edge browser sucks majorly.  I have gone back to chrome. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the heads up, I'll just keep waiting for awhile.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    waiting for 10.1 lol
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd wait a little longer before upgrading. I'm working on 5 to 6 computers a day that individuals tried upgrading. 2/3 of the computers I have upgraded to win 10 have had no problems, but the 1/3 that do have problems are major. In some cases the only way I was able to perform the os upgrade was a full restore wipe then upgrade to 10 then migrate the data back onto the unit. Each piece of hardware reacts different it's not the cookie cutter approach I expected.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    My local computer guru told me that my puny, older computer wouldn't handle WIN 10. Thank goodness. I'll just live with 7 for as long as possible. I don't need the kinds of problems I keep hearing about with 10.  B)

my iphone??  Well, that's a separate problem. May eventually have to upgrade it but at least it won't be on WIN 10.....
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that if your system could run Win 7/8 it would be able to run Win 10. I upgraded to Win 10 and love it. The only thing that doesn't seem to work correctly is outlook, but I never use it so it isn't really a deal breaker for me. I have a pretty beastly PC though.
    I was under the impression that if your system could run Win 7/8 it would be able to run Win 10. I upgraded to Win 10 and love it. The only thing that doesn't seem to work correctly is outlook, but I never use it so it isn't really a deal breaker for me. I have a pretty beastly PC though.
    This is what Microsoft SAID would be the case, unfortunately reality is different. I have upgraded over 100 pc's. Seems the stronger the processor the easier the unit is to upgrade. In every case I recommend having recovery media available in case you have to start over.  Just an added piece of info you are correct 7 and 8 are both upgradable to 10. The question is can your hardware handle the features built into 10. On a device with all the right hardware windows 10 is awesome. Put it on a device with an old celeron processor and short on ram..... GOOD LUCK
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
    ..... On a device with all the right hardware windows 10 is awesome. Put it on a device with an old celeron processor and short on ram..... GOOD LUCK
    This is precisely what my local guru told me. My setup isn't capable of handling it....  B)
    edited August 2015

Microsuck evidently updated outlook but forgot to make it compatible with IOS.  It sure as hell didn't work on my iPhone but it's okay. I just deleted the app. All is now cool. 

Their app said it required IOS 8 or better but my old iPhone 4 won't handle 8. I'm still running in the 7s...
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    My Win 7 Laptop just died on me.  The old XP laptop still works...sucks I can't upgrade it.  Best computer I've ever owned, but I have an essential piece of software I use for work that will run on the system.  Problem is, when I "upgraded" I took the software off the computer, and it won't install on XP. 

Considered a Linux switch, but it won't run on that, either.  Granted, I'm two versions of this software out of date, but I don't want to pay two grand for an upgrade on top of a new laptop.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Martel said:
    My Win 7 Laptop just died on me.  The old XP laptop still works...sucks I can't upgrade it.  Best computer I've ever owned, but I have an essential piece of software I use for work that will run on the system.  Problem is, when I "upgraded" I took the software off the computer, and it won't install on XP. 

Considered a Linux switch, but it won't run on that, either.  Granted, I'm two versions of this software out of date, but I don't want to pay two grand for an upgrade on top of a new laptop.
    I had a similar situation a while back. My laptop had XP on it and Microsuck was discontinuing support for it. The only way I could find to buy Win 7 without buying a new computer already loaded with it was to go to eBay and do a search. I found a seller of refurb's that came with 7 on a CD so you could load it yourself. And it was cheap. The deal was you buy the package and he'd mail the CD to you. You had a time period during which you could pick up the computer in Salt Lake City and if you didn't pick it up in time he'd consider it abandoned and dispose of it elsewhere. 

The price for the package was fair for a program CD but ridiculously cheap for the computer, too, so the seller knew no one in their right mind would travel all the way to SLC to pick up the computer within his time frame and would just abandon the computer. Evidently it was the only way he could legally sell just the CD under his licensing agreement. 

Anyway, that's how I got WIN 7 for my laptop. I suggest you have a look on eBay and see if he's still selling 7 on a CD in a pkg deal with a refurb'ed computer that you can abandon.....
  • brodskalesbrodskales Posts: 78
    Hah, you've all been had. Windows already experienced that ****. 

I dodged the Windows 10 bullet the moment they said it was only free for a limited time. It sounded like paid subscriptions was where they were going. 
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Martel , you can still find Windows 7 for sale online around $100......(Amazon, MicroCenter, BestBuy, Walmart, to name a few).....

Maybe you could get a copy of Win7 and upgrade the OS on your XP machine?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Would be nice, but not sure it can handle it.  It's supposedly Vista capable, but I skipped that hot mess, thankfully, and the Win 7 upgrade adviser said it might have problems upgrading. 

I'm soon going to have to buckle under and use my technology expense account for the year.  Stinks, since it rolls over each year, but I've only been here a couple of months.  I'll have to make up the difference between it and a new purchase.  Was hoping to make it to next year without spending it.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Martel said:
    Would be nice, but not sure it can handle it.  It's supposedly Vista capable, but I skipped that hot mess, thankfully, and the Win 7 upgrade adviser said it might have problems upgrading. 

I'm soon going to have to buckle under and use my technology expense account for the year.  Stinks, since it rolls over each year, but I've only been here a couple of months.  I'll have to make up the difference between it and a new purchase.  Was hoping to make it to next year without spending it.

Is it a 32 bit machine?  Or 64 bit?  My guru said if I bought an OS for a 32 bit laptop ( which mine is) it would handle it but it might be a tad slow. I went that route and it works just fine. I have no need for blazing speed, anyway. Maybe yours WILL handle it.....
  • brodskalesbrodskales Posts: 78
    Sank you techmologies.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I'm curious, has everyone done this now?  My computer keeps telling me to do it, I'm wondering how others have fared at this point?  Are you thinking "well, of course", or "oh crap I wish I hadn't done that"? 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    So, I'm curious, has everyone done this now?  My computer keeps telling me to do it, I'm wondering how others have fared at this point?  Are you thinking "well, of course", or "oh crap I wish I hadn't done that"? 
    Update windows 8. Anything older. Take my advice  and don't do it.
    I have windows 10 on all my machines now. I have no complaints.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

Nope. I'll hang with the WIN 7 that I have until they refuse to support it anymore and then I'll take a fresh look at what's available. 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Debian Linux here.

Had my hardware guy build me a custom puter for Christmas. It came with Win 7; I upgraded to 10. Neither one has a driver for my monitor (a 32" Sharp TV). HDMI output from the box. Debian works installs a driver seamlessly. Windows goes to a default driver which hides the edges of the display. I can force the Nvidia card to shrink the display so it fits; but that screws the refresh rate and makes serifs look shaky. No drivers to download at the Sharp site. Microsuck has no driver. Their forum has no clue. Their help guys tell you to do what you just finished telling them failed -- go to Sharp, go to MS download page... then tell you run in Win 7 compatible mode. 

I'll prolly run a dual boot system and only drop by win10 when I want to test a web page on their sucky browser.

I can't remember a time when Microsuck didn't suck. I'm sure there musta been such a time. I can't remember it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• KeiranKeiran Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Been running Windows 10 at home and work (I work in the tech industry and ssh a lot, yay OpenSSH and PowerShell). I've been loving it. Smooth as butter for me, no hassles upgrading. Basically, I'm going the opposite of the Microsoft bashing here. Someone has to. I've enjoyed their current direction and hope it continues. Windows has always been good under my care, not counting Windows 98 SE + Nvidia drivers. I find WIndows to be the nice middle ground in idea. Mac OS is too closed, I like more control, and Linux is too open, more of a pain to get things working as I want due to many software intercompatibility issues and lack of games. As always, to each their own. 

Windows 10, though, makes me very excited for the tech world's future. The universal system for tablet, phone, desktop, AR (Augmented Reality/Hololens) with UWP Applications. For those who don't stand near the edge of newer stuff, I can see the disinterest. For me, I'm looking forward to age where AR becomes very relevant.
  • UseAsDirectedUseAsDirected Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Or ask me and I'll give you a key. I worked for Microsoft and have tons of legit keys, lol
    "Even a fool has a talent"
    -That one guy
    Key and download solves the hardware issue
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or ask me and I'll give you a key. I worked for Microsoft and have tons of legit keys, lol

Might take you up on that..lol.. seems like its been terrible slow since the update

no matter where you go, there you are.

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I have not upgraded any of my machines. 
    And I will not consider upgrading until they bring back Windows Media Center, or offer an alternative software option for watching TV streams from a cable card tuner. 

And I finally got rid of that annoying task bar icon that kept popping up saying "Update to Windows 10 now" ..... that damn dialogue box was almost worst than being infected with spyware/adware.  So annoying

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    This is the first O/S I've actually purchased. I couldn't get the free upgrade since I was on a Win7 volume license. It works just fine on my 2008 custom built pc with only 4gbs ram. 

The biggest upgrade short of buying a new pc right now is to move to an SSD harddrive. You can get a 250gb for about $50 on Amazon and it will make a huge difference.

Bump
    Well,as usual, the d@mned edit function won't work. 

Anyway, it's been a while, now, since some of you guys switched over to Winfows 10. What do you think of it?  Is it worth struggling with or does it even require struggling?

Should I consider making the switch?