Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

The White Elephant

SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
Alright fellas, I was going to wait until I officially hit 6K, but since I am off for the next week and a half, I thought it would be a good time to organize the White Elephant and get it started. Let me start with the rules so you can decide if you want to participate.

1. Each player will send me six good cigars. These should be cigars worth fighting over, so aim for the $10+ cigars.

2. I will divide the cigars into lots of two and assign a letter to each lot. I will tell each player which three letters represent the cigars they contributed so you don't pick your own cigars during play. Please don't tell anyone else which cigars are yours.

3. Players will be randomly placed in a play order. Since each person's cigars are divided into three pairs, there will be three rounds of play.

4. On your turn, you may reveal a new letter/pair of cigars or steal a lot that has already been revealed. I will keep track of all lots and who they currently belong to on a Google spreadsheet that you will all be able to view.

5. Each lot may be stolen a total of three times. After the third steal, the cigars are out of the game and belong to the last owner. 

6. If someone steals your lot, you get to take another turn immediately. You may choose to reveal another letter or steal a lot that has already been revealed, but you can not choose the lot that was just stolen from you. You may select a lot that was previously stolen from you if it has changed hands since being stolen from you. If you reveal a new letter, play resumes with the next person in the list.

7. The game ends when the last letter is revealed. 

If you are unfamiliar with White Elephants, don't worry. I'll prompt each person's turn and what they can do. It should be pretty easy and lots of fun. Like I said, I'll track everything in a spreadsheet to show who has what and what can still be stolen, what is out of play, etc. 

If you want to play, please don't be someone that doesn't check the forums very often. With the stealing, it can be your turn at any point after your first turn. If someone disappears for a few days, it can hold up the whole game until that turns occurs. I might have to make a ruling of a random letter pick for anyone that is MIA for more than a couple days to keep the game moving.

When the game ends, I'll wait a couple days to see if anyone is going to do any trading. We'll discuss this at the end if there is any interest. When all is said and done, I'll ship your picks back to you.

I would like to limit this to twelve(ish) players because even that many will take quite a while to get through. If the interest far exceeds this, I would have no problem with someone else setting up a second one to run concurrently to meet the demand.

I know I heard from several people that were interested when I brought this up earlier, but I'd like anyone that wants to play to officially sign up in this thread. Thanks!
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in like Flynn
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too shall play. Game on
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please !
    Should the 6 be all different? 
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    cbuck said:
    Should the 6 be all different? 

They don't have to be, but don't send 6 of the same. Variety will make the game more interesting.
    Pm the address!
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely in. Let's go @smoke_em_if_you_got_em , @Bigshizza , @Glock1975
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess I got called out. So count me IN!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess I'm in too but Shafty's games are so damn complicated whereas Uncle Eddie could win mine...
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

Tony when are you wanting to start so I know when to send you the sticks
    -- Winston Churchill

I was going to wait until we are full and have everyone wait till next week to ship to avoid the holiday PO mess.
    Ok sounds good
    -- Winston Churchill

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds complicated and interesting, I'll play ;)
    The Players:
    Edna20
    Avengethis
    Oneisnone
    cbuck
    rsherman24
    Usaf06
    smoke_em
    Bigshizza
    onestrangeone

That gets us to nine. @bandyt09 are you still in? Once we're full, I'll also start a group message for addresses and details that don't necessarily need to be public.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz said:
    The Players:
    Edna20
    Avengethis
    Oneisnone
    cbuck
    rsherman24
    Usaf06
    smoke_em
    Bigshizza
    onestrangeone

That gets us to nine. @bandyt09 are you still in? Once we're full, I'll also start a group message for addresses and details that don't necessarily need to be public.
     :) You betcha teach.

I chose C
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll get in on this. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Watching this one from the sidelines this year :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

The Players:
    Edna20
    Avengethis
    Oneisnone
    cbuck
    rsherman24
    Usaf06
    smoke_em
    Bigshizza
    onestrangeone
    bandyt09
    matkn293

Alright folks, if one more wants in, I'll add them, but I'm going to get started with this list. Group message going out in just a few.
    Beren this is right up your alley. @SecretSquirrel
    -- Winston Churchill

• kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    If this is still open I beleive that I'm game.
    Gotcha @kingjk729. @SecretSquirrel, if you want in, just let me know.
  • SecretSquirrelSecretSquirrel Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    Normally I'd be in, but not this time. Sorry! Maybe next time
    Alright, no problem Beren. Since we are at the magic number of twelve, we'll officially call this closed. As soon as all entries are received, this will begin. Stay tuned!
    And it begins. The official play order is as follows. Don't worry, I'll remind you if you forget during the course of the game.

@matkn293
    @oneisnone
    @usaf06
    @bigshizza
    @rsherman24
    @onestrangeone
    @cbuck
    @avengethis
    @kingjk729
    @edna20
    @smoke_em_if_you_got_em
    @bandyt09

Here's the link to the spreadsheet keeping track of everything. So start us off Mark, pick a letter between B-Z or AA-AK.
    Paging @matkn293
    SleevePlz said:
    Paging @matkn293
    Seriously!! Gonna have to give him the Ghurka I sent
    -- Winston Churchill

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aa

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!