Home Non Cigar Related

Smoker recipes

Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
I received a Bradley smoker for Xmas this year and have used it a couple times.
I was wondering  if anyone here smokes, and has recipes/rubs they would like to share.

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoke probably 2-3 times a month so I have some experience.  Is there something in particular you are looking at doing that you want some ideas on?  Tomorrow I am doing up a brisket so I can feed my family, parents and relatives during the Packer game.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    A brisket recipe would be awesome. I did ribs yesterday and they turned out just ok. Did a pork roast a week ago and it was terrific. 
    I'm just looking for smoker ideas in general.

Sorry about your Packers btw.
    Yeah we made the playoffs but I am expecting to go down to the Redskins.

I have a few really good store bought rubs for pork actually.  I know one is the Killer Hogs "The BBQ Rub" this is fabulous on a pork butt.  I have a couple others I'll have to look up for ribs.  I have some that I made up myself that are good but honestly I was just tossing stuff together and couldn't even tell you what is in them right now.

I have 2 for brisket that I really like.  1 is very simple 50/50 salt to pepper.  This is actually probably one of the best brisket I have ever had.  Another one is a little more complex,  I'll pm you the exact recipe on it.  Remember with brisket its low and slow to break down all that connective tissue and fat in the meat.  My normal brisket takes about 16-20 hours on the smoker at 220 degrees.  If you have a choice for type of wood oak with a little pecan is superb for brisket as well.  Mesquite and hickory can be nice but that oak/pecan mix is awesome.

Another thing that I love to make as it doesn't take as long is what I call chicken flats, basically whole chickens but cut so they lay flat.  Rub a little oil on them and then a nice savory seasoning with garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and a little paprika.  Usually 3 hours or so and they are done.  

Let me know if you have any other questions, thoughts or ideas as I am always open to trying things out.

What smoker did you get?  I use a Kamado joe.

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    I got a Bradley original 4 rack electric smoker.
    I know brisket you want it untrimmed for the smoker but the supermarkets don't carry it. I probably have to go to a butcher shop.
    Any tips or tricks to the craft would be appreciated. 
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a traeger and you can go to their website and they have a bunch of recipes. They also have rubs that everyone says are great but I usually make up my own. Have fun smoking!
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out amazingribs.com  or http://www.susanminor.org/forums/ 

It is a trial and error process to get to your taste.  I use a Bradley smoker as well and I have been tweaking my rib recipe for a couple years.  The 3-2-1 method is a good start for ribs, but the 2 hours in foil makes them a little too greasy for my taste so I use more of a 3-1-1.  Pork Butts are pretty easy in the Bradley and make awesome pulled pork,

Start with a basic rub (salt, pepper, sugar, paprika, garlic) and add to meet your taste.

Do you have a costco or sams club around you?  I get my brisket from there and they have packer cut briskets there (untrimmed full brisket).  If not then you will be at the mercy of a butcher, which should give you a nice cut of meat but you will pay a bit more for it.

If you are bored check out Franklin BBQ on youtube.  He also has a book that I picked up called Franklin Barbecue.  It was like $20 on amazon and is an awesome read.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a traeger and you can go to their website and they have a bunch of recipes. They also have rubs that everyone says are great but I usually make up my own. Have fun smoking!
    Which  Traeger do you have?  I have the Texas with a cold smoker. Best money I ever spent.

bandyt09 said:
    Which  Traeger do you have?  I have the Texas with a cold smoker. Best money I ever spent.

Have the lil texas and love it! Have had it for about 6 months and the only problem I have had with it was that the fire went out twice but traeger told me to turn the auger speed up to one and that seemed to take care of the problem. Guess I am going to have to take a boston butt out and smoke Sunday!
  • OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can help you. Will Send info as I break free.
    I kill pork butts - 1st pic

I like beef shoulder clod over brisket. Second pic - about 20lbs
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine does a pork shoulder I believe that rocks. I will try to get the recipe. The skin is the best thing to ever hit my taste buds. Heaven on earth, you can feel your arteries clogging but you just don't care
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to use different runs all the time but one I constantly have is head country. They are out of OK. Great stuff. For brisket I tend to go Texas style sweet and spicy and use a vinegar/beer mop sauce with it. Pork is almost always Head Country. Ribs I used to use 3-2-1 but everytime I bring them out of the foil they don't hold together to get the last hour for glazing. I just found Tuffy Stones recipe that calls for 2-2-1 at 275 deg. I am going to try that soon. Another one of my favorites is boneless skinless Ckn breast. 225 for about 2 hrs. Of course the breast I get from the butcher are on steroids, they are huge. Sometimes I use just salt and pepper and have also used country bobs or fire salt. Wings are great too. Mix in head country let sit for 24. Then hour and a half on smoker. Then flash fry and toss in sauce of your choosing or wven naked. Delicious. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

Btw I have a custom stick burner modeled after a Lang Cooker out of AR. I tend to use mostly Cherry and add in some apple or hickory if I have it. Heard great things about oak and will be using a mix of that as soon as I get some with the cherry. 

edited January 2016
    One thing I do with butts... Rub it and let sit for 24-48. If I am going to freeze one for later use, rub it before freezing. Then all that goodness gets in there while thawing. You will
    not be disappointed. Butts are a great meat to start with and master as it is hard to mess up unless you over cook and even that is hard. Will take a few times to get your taste and to really master but should consistently turn a good meal. Some may crucify me for this but foil can be a great friend at times. 

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Just a question, but how much do yall spend on the meat?
    One God, One Truth
    I foil my butts to push through the stall quicker. I'm not going for competition but good eating BBQ.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

Just a question, but how much do yall spend on the meat?

I just picked up two boston butts for $1.59 lb.
    Is that bone in price? That is the sake price I can find usually but normal is 2.49
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

Is that bone in price? That is the sake price I can find usually but normal is 2.49

Hey Brad,

That is bone in price. I have a food distributor around the corner from our shop and he treats us pretty well. You should be getting something in the mail soon.

That's nice.

I have a brisket flat on the smoker today. Sitting in the stall right now.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll share my favorite recipe with ya. I like tri-tips so well that I usually keep a couple on hand in the freezer. Here's the recipe:

Tri-tip rub recipe w/espresso

Here's a recipe that'll make you the neighborhood BBQ master. The first time around, follow the recipe exactly. After that, you can modify it to suit yourself. Fair enough??

Okay. Here we go:

2 pound tri-tip roast (+ or -)
    3 tablespoons finely ground espresso coffee beans
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Around four or five hours before you're gonna grill this puppy, take it out of the fridge. Salt both sides as though you were getting ready to eat it (not a lot of salt, just moderate) and let it sit at room temp, covered. It's not gonna hurt it to be out of the fridge for a few hours. 

After a couple hours, brush it lightly with oil and massage half of the rub onto one side, turn it over and repeat with the remaining rub on the other side. Cover and let it sit another couple hours. 

When you're ready to cook it, prepare your grill for indirect cooking. I use a gas grill kept at around 225 degrees. Insert the probe of your digital thermometer so the tip is in the center of the mass and place the tri-tip on a rack away from the direct part of the burner. Set your alarm for 110 degrees, sit back, and light up a stogie. This part will take about 45 minutes to an hour. It woulda been longer if you'd left this puppy to marinate in the fridge. Room temp is better. 

When the alarm goes off, pull the probe and crank up the burner to full. Sear each side of the tri-tip for about 5 minutes per side. This will bring the doneness to medium-rare, the best doneness for maximum flavor. 

After searing, take it off the grill and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving. This will allow time for the juices to normalize internally. When you carve it try to do it on a carving board that has a groove around the edge because you're gonna have a lot of juice and you're gonna want to save it. You can thicken it for gravy or a serving sauce, or you can sop it up with some nice, crusty garlic bread. Whatever. Just enjoy and share the goodness with family and friends. 

Remember, though, that the grain in a tri-tip runs in different directions. You want to slice it across the grain to avoid it being chewy.  I have a diagram if you're interested....

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do....  B)

imageDinner tonight
    Anybody thinking about smoking should pick this up. It's not a recipe book but more of an education. I'm half way through and now I'm talking with my wife about building a stick burner to really go to the next level.

Team O'Donnell FTW!

Beef Plank Short Ribs are on deck for this weekend.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

@bandyt09 I see you are firing up the smoker today.  What are you cooking today?  I have some Beef Plank Short Ribs on right now for dinner tonight.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

Team O'Donnell FTW!

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those stuffed jalapenos look amazing! 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

hmm may have to look into this hobby a bit more

The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
    I just ordered The Killer Hogs rub. I'm going to give it a go.
    Nice. It's really good on pork. I've between sticking to salt and pepper for beef lately.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!