Home Non Cigar Related

Hors d'oeuvres, anyone?

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, my buddy is hosting a whiskey tasting party, featuring about a dozen high end scotch and bourbon selections. I want to take some hors d'oeuvres but I have no idea what goes well with scotch and bourbon. 

Any suggestions? 
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scotch eggs
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bacon wrapped scallops
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    You might be able to get away with a charcuterie (spelling) plate. I think it depends on what types of scotch as well (peaty, etc.)

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheese with spicy meats
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Ritz with Vienna sausage on it.  :'(
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    -Smoked Trout Mousse on Cucumbers, Red Onion & Capers with Dill
    -Pear and Goat Cheese with Candied Pecan Nuts
    -Beef Empanadas with Serrano Chilies and Green Olives
    -Deviled Eggs with Smoked Trout
    -Seared Petite Lamb Chops with Fresh Mint Pesto
    -Tuna Tartar with Chili Aioli on Rice Crisps

These are all the Hors d'oeuvres that go well at the restaurant I bartend at. 

How do make this text turn upside down?
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    -Smoked Trout Mousse on Cucumbers, Red Onion & Capers with Dill
    -Pear and Goat Cheese with Candied Pecan Nuts
    -Beef Empanadas with Serrano Chilies and Green Olives
    -Deviled Eggs with Smoked Trout
    -Seared Petite Lamb Chops with Fresh Mint Pesto
    -Tuna Tartar with Chili Aioli on Rice Crisps

These are all the Hors d'oeuvres that go well at the restaurant I bartend at. 

Nice! Do you cater? :smiley: 
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this sounds weird but I always bring little smokies and homemade devil eggs They are the first items to go :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza said:
    Cheese with spicy meats
    @Bigshizza ahhh sounds like you after nominating someone
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something that has bacon and cheese
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haggis for the scotch. Ribs for the bourbon.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuffed baby portobello mushrooms goes very well
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Guitarded said:
    Isn't that a Toby Keith/Willie Nelson song? ;)
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guitarded said:
    You must be thinking "I'll never smoke weed with Willie again"
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    kswildcat said:
    Guitarded said:
    You must be thinking "I'll never smoke weed with Willie again"
    Actually, I think it was Whiskey for my Men, Beer for my Horses. ;)
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bacon wrapped scallops
    Or bacon wrapped anything, really
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hot wings  :p
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Awesome event last night. Didn't end up taking hors d'oeuvres. Took Opus X's instead. Most of the guys had never tried one before. My new favorite bourbon is Woodford Double Oak. Here's a few pics...

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so, did anybody bring hors d'oeuvres?
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking sharp Doug.  You would be my favorite guest if you brought Opus apps
    so, did anybody bring hors d'oeuvres?

Yeah. There was a cheese and meat tray and lots of chips and stuff. The Opuses were a big hit.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your hors d'oeuvres were brilliant. Well done @Puff_Dougie

“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    jarubla said:
    Your hors d'oeuvres were brilliant. Well done @Puff_Dougie

Thanks. Nothing like watching seven dudes enjoy their first Opus X. Felt like I took the pledge class to Tijuana. LOL!