Home Non Cigar Related

The Excellent Cup

WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
After all the discussion regarding The Excellent Cup here on the form, I decided to order some. I love coffee and I'm always looking for something new. Peter did an excellent job and this Guatemala coffee is probably the best I've had and of course he threw in a few extra's with my order. Thanks again Peter you do make excellent coffee @peter4jc
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
— Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @WaterNerd.  If you're happy, I'm happy.  Turning green beans brown for me is like a zen thing, and I do appreciate the privilege of roasting for you guys.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    @WaterNerd

I bought that same one a few weeks ago. Absolutely delicious!

If you have not already, do yourself a favor and buy this (Peter recommended it for me):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOM5RN0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

You will be able to taste all those little nuances in the coffee. It really does make a difference. Little more work to brew it but I have cut down the time it takes to make it, to around 6 minutes in the morning now.
    How do make this text turn upside down?
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @WaterNerd

I bought that same one a few weeks ago. Absolutely delicious!

If you have not already, do yourself a favor and buy this (Peter recommended it for me):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOM5RN0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

You will be able to taste all those little nuances in the coffee. It really does make a difference. Little more work to brew it but I have cut down the time it takes to make it, to around 6 minutes in the morning now.
    Thank you for the info. Going to get one and a better coffee bean grinder  :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• KeiranKeiran Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Now this is my kind of talk. I've seen a few posts with The Excellent Cup. I'll have to order some. I normally get my coffee from Blue Bottle (subscription).  Pour over is good. I prefer Siphon. If you want something easy that makes a great cup, I would also recommend the Aeropress. Then again, the pouring of coffee just the right way into a pour over is very zen. Prepping a siphon and stirring it is very relaxing as well.

If you don't mind grinding your beans manually, Hario has a good ceramic burr hand grinder, the Hario Mill Slim Grinder. Nothing like the smell of good coffee being ground.
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn I wish I liked coffee. Smells great, but man I just can't drink it.  :'(
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's just like the Perfect Tea tea maker from Teavana. You put the loose tea in, pour the water in, let steep for however long and then place on your mug and it pushes the bottom part up and brews into your cup. You guys are making me want to get high quality coffee now, but since I just got into tea I think my husband will lose it if I get another hobby ;) 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skydiverD said:
    Damn I wish I liked coffee. Smells great, but man I just can't drink it.  :'(
    Same. Although I would have yesterday when it was -15º and -40º wind chill. 

But I do like a good coffee stout. I'm weird.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Agreed with Peter. I actually made the mistake of giving a friend/newbie coffee drinker medium-dark roasted, month old coffee beans. I need to lure him back and give him some fresh roasted, light coffee. Most of the stuff they call coffee at places is a horrible thing no one should drink. 

I did order a small pack of Bali Blue Moon FTO and am excited to try it.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    I wouldn't assume this to be the case with everyone who doesn't like coffee, but by my standards, most of those people haven't had truly good coffee...  just some brown water made with some crap that gets passed off as coffee.  That's not meant to get you to try it, just sayin' I wouldn't drink what you've tried to drink either.
    I really got to watch were I get coffee out here on the road. Some coffee seems like it was strained thru a dirty sock or worse yet a soiled diaper. I'd sure try your beans if I had a regular job and actually went home at night lol
    kswildcat said:
    peter4jc said:
    I wouldn't assume this to be the case with everyone who doesn't like coffee, but by my standards, most of those people haven't had truly good coffee...  just some brown water made with some crap that gets passed off as coffee.  That's not meant to get you to try it, just sayin' I wouldn't drink what you've tried to drink either.
    I really got to watch were I get coffee out here on the road. Some coffee seems like it was strained thru a dirty sock or worse yet a soiled diaper. I'd sure try your beans if I had a regular job and actually went home at night lol
    You might consider an Aeropress, a little hand grinder, and a small electric kettle as a coffee kit for your over-the-road coffee fixes.  The AP takes a little dialing in, but is very capable.  What I like about the AP is how easy it is for clean-up.
    My work/travel setup for example (with Amazon links).  The kettle is the nice part. It's hard to find a good travel kettle. You can find smaller but not as many with as good quality as the Bonavita:

Aeropress
    Hario Slim Mill
    Bonavita Bona Voyage Travel Kettle

Another Kettle option is the Useful UH-TP147 Electric Collapsible Travel Kettle but it will eventually wear down due to the stress of collapsing and expanding. But, for 25 bucks, it's rated good and should last a decent amount of time.
  • OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter, just sent you an email, need more coffee

Email returned...  good timing, I just roasted today.
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess I am a coffee snob now. Making goetta and eggs for breakfast for the boss and myself and put some folgers on. Can't even finish it.@peter4jc thanks for showing me the way.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying some Flores right now. Really like this one Peter
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Guess I am a coffee snob now. Making goetta and eggs for breakfast for the boss and myself and put some folgers on. Can't even finish it.@peter4jc thanks for showing me the way.
    Folgers sucks! - I used to drink Sanka many F'n years ago. Enjoy what Peter has intrroduced to you. Also don't worry about cafeine. Most all Arabica coffees have lower cafeine amounts than that robusta crap in Folgers.
  • ChazMNChazMN Posts: 53 ✭✭

Got my order yesterday.  Included was a very nice surprise! Thank you Peter4jc.  :) 

Also got my order in today. Two cigars in it (sorry no picture). I really appreciate the sticks. For the coffee, it was the Bali Blue Moon. A little bit darker than I would prefer but goes well with a little cream. Nice nutty flavors. Also reminds me of Golden Puffs, the smell.

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just picked up a new grinder. I'm ready for Saturday morning  B)

— Abraham Lincoln

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Keiran shared some of his most excellent cup. Muy tasty, Senor Pedro Quatro JC
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    Oh NO!  I didn't know you two were in cahoots!
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thing you roast beans and not nuts. Just saying lol
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Just sent you an email Peter. 
    One God, One Truth
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keiran said:
    Also got my order in today. Two cigars in it (sorry no picture). I really appreciate the sticks. For the coffee, it was the Bali Blue Moon. A little bit darker than I would prefer but goes well with a little cream. Nice nutty flavors. Also reminds me of Golden Puffs, the smell.

OK What is that coffee maker and where do I get one!?!?!?!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Guitarded said:
    Keiran said:

OK What is that coffee maker and where do I get one!?!?!?!

It's called a siphon or vacuum coffee maker. Amazon has quite a few different brands and sizes available. The one I have is the Yama 3 cup. I swapped out the alcohol burner with a butane burner.  The butane burner is the same as a table top cigar lighter so you can use it for double duty. Makes a good cup. The cafes in Japan turned me onto the siphon makers. The Japanese know how to make a good cup. Hell, they even has the monopoly on Blue Mountain coffee beans. They take 80% of the Blue Mountain crop. The rest of the world vies for the other 20%. Random coffee facts for the win.
    I use a Yama 5cup stovetop model... not nearly as nice a presentation, say for an after dinner eye-candy cup of coffee, but I don't have the patience for the burner.

Kellan, have you tried that setup with a Cory rod?

Also, I've found that I get better results if I add the coffee once the water has moved north so that the water is at a good temp once the coffee goes in.  Thoughts?
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank You Keiran!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.