Home Non Cigar Related

Musical taste.

just kinda wandering what kind of music everyone here listens to?
the type of music people listen to tottally plays into wheather or not i'll talk to em. so im just wondering who to avoid, or im looking for new stuff to listen to. your call

i'm going to see pearl jam in june on that note. pretty happy about that
have alot of allman brothers in play and the wu-tang clan.

Comments

• carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    Man I could name a thousand. Soundgarden, Metallica, Pantera, ZZ Top, Zepplin, Pink Floyd just about any kind of rock. And also country.
  • handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    yeah this list could go on forever....in fact...imma copy my facebook list :D............. In Flames, Cradle of Filth, Jack Johnson, Billy Talent, MXPX, Eminem, Tech N9ne, Tu Pac, Offspring, Meat Loaf, Lacuna Coil, Dierks Bentley, Garth Brooks, Tobe Keith, Cake, Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, Metallica, System of a Down, Weezer, Simon and Garfunkel, The Ventures, Pink Floyd, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Godsmack, They Might Be Giants, Johnny Cash, Aqua, Darude, Niko, John Denver, Type O Negative, Bob Seger, The Doors, The Beatles, Bob Marley, Linval Thompson, Techno, Trance, Rage Against the Machine, Hinder, the Orb, Avenged Sevenfold, Richard Cheese, Move, the Eagles, Steve Miller Band, Three Days Grace, Tom Petty, Jack's Mannequin, Smile Empty Soul, Hatebreed, Oasis, Dragonforce, Something Corporate, Lamb of God, Motion City Soundtrack, Antoine Dufour, Brand New, The Spill Canvas, Marilyn Manson, Death Cab for Cutie, Plus 44, Ludo, Haste the Day, HIM, Sublime, Tommy Gauthier, Don Ross, Andy McKee, Ben Harper, Trace Bundy, Antonio Forcione, Michael Chapdelaine, Greg Brown, Joni Mitchell, Ani DiFranco, Dispatch, Neil Young, Harry Chapin
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I listen to pretty much everything, except country. Right now I am stuck on prog rock, more specificaly dream theater, spocks beard, and neal morse. With a little bit of old school metal thrown in.
  • HardspotHardspot Posts: 24
    I listen to prety much everything from country, rock, metal, not so much rap but some of the old school stuff like Run DMC and the like ill listen to every now and again.
  • phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    I have somewhat varied taste, but at the core its mostly on type of rock or another. I used to be intoa all types of stuff, but my interest has concentrated as I have gotten older. I love improvanisational bands (Jam bands) like Phish, Moe. and the Dead to name a couple. I like some classic pyscadelic rock like Pink Floyd, Allman Bros and the more trippy stuff from the Beatles; again just to name a few. I used to be really into metal when I was in JR high and High school; bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeath. In highschool i listened to mostly hip pop and R&B; but cannot bget back into that. I love to hear good jazz from time to time. The only thing I don't really like is country. My wife lioves it; but it doesn't do anything for me. I also do not like any pop type music. If its on the top 40 or top 100; odds are I will not like it. I guess I am just a non conformist. I do have one guilty pleasure with music; and that is late 80's and early 90's hair metal. The real cheesy stuf like Poison, Def Lepard, Guns and Roses, Ratt, etc... I love it, but know that it is not too substantive.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    I've never heard anyone claim GnR to be cheesy 90's hair metal, until now.  Personally, I still think that GnR are one of the best bands.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    hair metal? nah, I dont even think I would call them metal. But they are quite good.
  • phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    Hey, their first album was pretty much hair metal. And if they are played on Sirius 23 hair nation; they just might be a hair band. I will say they are not too cheesy; but they were definately pop at the time (in the fact that they were at the top of the Pop charts only).
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That's an interesting way of choosing who to talk to and who not to. Honestly, I've never thought of a person's musical taste as criteria for talking to them or avoiding them. Well, to each his own.

My musical taste is pretty varied and tends to swing in pretty large shifts. Lately I've been listening to some older rock, a lot of RUSH and Queen the past few days. On any given day the music I listen to may be metal, punk/hardcore, Motown, oldies style rock... um, well pretty much anything you can think of though I tend to shy away from country, rap and most pop type music, but the rest is fair game.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive been putting of posting in this thread for a while.

In general i like "rock"
    ... all kinds of rock.

for instance i have 5 CDs sitting on my desk right now:
    Led Zeppelin II
    Depeche Mode, songs of faith and devotion
    U2 Achtung baby
    Bush, 16 stone
    The Cure, Wild mood swings.

this doesnt even cover what i like with metal, or blues, or motown, or punk.

Im all over the place with my musical taste. Im not a big fan of country or rap but some hip hop i can handle.

pop music is just crap. i think they are just trying to make/sell ringtones. pop music is becomming a business not an art
  • Great tastes! great Tastes! i've been listening to Ray Lamontagne lately. he's got a great bio. look him up. "she lifts her skirt up to her knees and runs through the garden rows with her barefeet and laughing" "you know i count a million blessings but i choose instead to dwell in my disasters" amazing writer
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    My musical tastes are also extremely varied. There really isn't any particular thing that I don't listen to but here is a list of some of my favorites. Zeppelin, The Eagles, older U2, UB40, Eminem, Metallica, Staind, Chevelle, classic Beatles. I could go on forever. I have over 150GB of music on my hard drive if that tells you anything. I just pick what I'm in the mood for and click.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    Check out my playlists on my page. That pretty much sums it up.
  • matt.hickeymatt.hickey Posts: 54
    I agree with the previous poster's quote "Happiness is a belt-fed weapon" (sorry forgot to look at the name before clicking reply. You know who you are and it is great anyways. BTW You in the Military? Moving along, I think I got y'all beat on the music thing. I listen to it all. I have a couple iPod's full of music that I rotate and are both set to random play. I even listened to some opera while smoking my Gurhka Legend today. I think it added an unknown complexity and I felt overly-sophisticated here in the desert. LOL Any you older guys (or younger as I am 23) beat that span? -Matt
    Well my hard drive spans everything from Beethoven to the new P.O.D. disc that I got in the mail last week. Name a time period and I probably have something from it.How's that?
  • matt.hickeymatt.hickey Posts: 54
    Okay how about 10th century Gregorian Chant? Anyways, it seems you and I could get along in music selection.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    matt.hickey:
    I agree with the previous poster's quote "Happiness is a belt-fed weapon" (sorry forgot to look at the name before clicking reply. You know who you are and it is great anyways. BTW You in the Military?
    Yeah, I was in the Corps for a few years.
    matt.hickey:
    Okay how about 10th century Gregorian Chant? Anyways, it seems you and I could get along in music selection.
    I'll have to look. I have so much, I don't even know what I have.You might have me on that one though. Although I do have a lot of celtic music who's origin's come from about the same period.
  • My buddy, Howard Portnoy ,is the father of the Dream Theatre drummer. Howard runs an art gallery in Carmel,CA and the band was named for a very unusual moviehouse in Pacific Grove,CA. Sadly, now closed.
  • My favorite music while smoking-no surprise-is Cuban. A glass of rum and Ibrahim Ferrar or Buena Vista Social Club. Puts me in the perfect mood.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I like good ol southern rock and country too, not all of it but I can listen to some of it, can't stand rap...I like opera when I'm in a foul mood..
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I listen to anything and everything but here lately I've been listening to a lot of intelligent underground rap. I know intelligent rap is an oxy moron but check out Josh Martinez or Sage Francis ... In particular check out Sage Francis Makeshift Patriot, Martinez's Just a Dood and Underground Pop. This isn't your club banging, the beat makes the song rap. This is story telling at its finest.
    Lets put it this way Sage Francis won the Rap Olympics with a Metallica shirt on.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't think intelligent rap is an oxymoron at all, just quite uncommon in the mainstream. That's unfortunate too, because it really is some great story telling as you say. I'm not a huge fan of rap or hip-hop, but I can appreciate the artists that have more to offer than slapping hoes and shooting foes ( like my rhyme? I do it all the time).
    Check out Martinez.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im not a huge hip hop fan but you need to check out atmosphere. slug (the vocalist) is amazing. their last release was, i think, their best. its called when life gives you lemmons paint that s**t gold. (number nine is the track that hit me hard, even though im not in that position. )
    I've listened to atmosphere for a while. Good stuff, typically depressing but good. I'm telling you if you like them listen to Josh Martinez, especially for some more upbeat stuff, I sound like his damn promoter and I've never even met the guy. He's just by far my favorite musician right now, I feel the same way about his music as I do about the Tatuaje Cojonu 2003. Just to give you a little sample of what I love about this dude his real name isn't Josh Martinez he took a stage name to make fun of traditional rap but he just took a plain name to poke fun at hip hop. My favorite line out of any of his songs is " I don't want to hold a job down if its just to make ends meet. I prefer rapid rise and faster falls. I want to die the American dream."
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Dang -

I pulled up this thread because I was curious to see everybody's musical tastes. You all are making me feel old. My tastes range from Classical to late 90's alternative rock (NIN, Stabbing Westward, U2, Toad being my favorite of the more recent stuff). Lots of oldies (50's and 60's). Tons of showtunes (we've owned season tickets to the travelling Broadway shows for the last 7 years). My favorite stuff, however, is probably the Big Band (Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Harry James, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, etc. etc). I've got over 100 vinyl LP's of big band stuff, and I love the swing jazz and eight-to-the-bar blues. Some of my records feature Sinatra when he was still with Tommy Dorsey, and several other big names long before they went out on their own. I've also got Glenn Miller's last recording of Juke Box Saturday Night on his show Moonlight Serenade, before he turned over the program to Harry James and went off to war.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I don't listen to much big band music, Joe, but one of my favorite albums of all time is the one Sinatra did with Jobim. It's just dead perfect. It'll make your roof leak. And you can't beat some Nina Simone, either.
    duty, I've seen Stabbing Westward a few times. One of my favorite live bands.