Home Non Cigar Related

How many shooters are there here on CCOM?

ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just wondering how many folks here enjoy shooting.  What do you shoot?  Where?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shoot. I shoot trap and handguns mostly as well as plinking with my .22 rifle. I have a couple nice ourdoor ranges but in the cold there is a really nice indoor range not far from me. I have a Sig P320 9mm, Glock 42 .380, Taurus PT111 G2 9mm and a Springfield 1911 .45. I have a a fair amount of shotguns as well for hunting and trap as well as a few rifles for deer hunting. I need to get into the AR seen for shooting but the wife doesn't get why I would "need" one.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love to shoot. Few handguns, rifles and shotguns. Like to trap shoot most. Used to hunt but anymore don't like to sit in the cold freezing my butt off.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I hurl lead once in awhile (usually when home). My range is out in the country and targets are critters of all sorts. Even if it's just plucking piqeons and black birds off power line or prairie dogs in friends fields with 10/22.
     Do some pheasant and deer hunting but most my shooting is critter control. Have several rifles, pistols and shot guns but my favorites are my black powder revolvers, 10/22 and AR.

You can never have to many guns and ammo
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    avengethis, how's that .380 Glock shoot?  The Mrs is leaning towards a .380 for her 1st carry gun, doesn't care for the G27.  Love the 1911s, sweet gun for sure.  Hoping to get into the Ruger commander version next year.

genareddog, know what you mean,  went coyote hunting in Wyoming during the late fall, spent several hours prone in the snow to not see a damned one through my scope.  Enjoyed it enough but would rather hunt in warmer weather.  My boy had a blast hunting jacks and bagged himself a couple.  Left the eating to his dear old dad.

I have more rifles than handguns and, curiously enough, not a single shotgun.  Been meaning to fix that but seem to spend money on my hobbies too fast to buy a shotgun.  Living in The People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts nixes about 3/4 of my choices of firearm purchases anyway.

I really like it.  I sell real estate so I was looking for a very small slim EDC gun.  I had an xds for awhile but the weight of the .45 was too much and had too much printing under a dress shirt.  I like the G42, you could also look at the G43 which is the 9mm version.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple of pellet guns, one with a nitrogen piston, which will put a .22 pellet through 1/2" of plywood at 25 yards. Wish it had iron sights though. Good varmint control and quiet. I live too close to the highway and neighbors for a firearm. 
    Yeah I went to pick up a .380 for a ankle gun and walked out with a 9mm s&w shield.. Shield is a bit bigger but fits my hand better. Haven't got an ankle holster for it yet but small enough just to carry in pocket.. One these days I need to shoot the dang thing. Fits my hand well and trigger seems fairly decent. As long as it gets me to a rifle I'm good with it lol...
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I can shoot.  Trust me.
    One time I ......... oh wait .... guns?

nevermind. carry on 
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    edited March 2016
    That G43 sure looks a lot thinner than the G27/26 frame.  Might make for more comfort in the wife's hand.  She really liked the Colt Mustang but those are a bit scarce around these parts and finding one that will shoot reliably is even harder to find.   Also, that Remington mini-1911 .380 looks very interesting.  Then again, Every 1911 is interesting.

Did you carry the .45 in an IWB or OWB?

edited March 2016
    As to your wife and the AR, avengethis, let her shoot one a couple times and she'll want one of her own.  My wife, then fiance, liked my Garand and M1 Carbine but absolutely loved shooting the AR.

kswildcat, I bought an ankle rig for my J frame about 20 years ago and used it exactly... once.  Crossdraw, strong side at 4 oclock, or in a pocket will do the trick.  Ankle rig just made me walk funny.

IWB.  Best IWB holster I have ever had is the N82 Tactical.  I have it now for my g42, had it for the xds as well.  If you have never looked into them I highly suggest you do.  https://www.n82tactical.com/ I run the professional line as it is a tuckable holster with some retention.  American made, high quality comfortable IWB holsters.  I also have one of the magna arm mounts in my jeep that I can have any of my handguns mounted to when driving.  It holds my full size Sig p320 no problem.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

I originally bought it as a back up for c/c.. Just so dang handy just to drop it In the pocket. When I do c/c I often  just grab it and not mess with larger frames...
    I'm pretty sure it's accurate enuff to hit anything I may need to hit being most situations needing to skin it would be close range. 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've dabbled in it
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Just shoot at the range, believe it or not my wife got me back into it.  Qualified for c/c permit then the state changed the law last year so any fool can c/c now without a permit.  Makes me a little nervous.  

Have a single action .22 revolver for plinking and a 9mm semi, both Ruger's.  Favorite is a Colt .32 semi, it was my grandfathers and great for c/c.  He paid $20.50 for it, still have the box and everything that came with it.  Made in 1914 and last appraised at 90-95% condition.  He never really shot it, but I do, fits my hand like a glove.  Looking at a .357 Mag revolver for my B-Day now, wish me luck.  When I start stocking up on that ammo it may affect my cigar budget though.
  • Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's brown it's down and if it flies it dies. 
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    really haven't been shooting in years, have a .45 Charles daily com-pac, M39 Mosin Nagant, M30 carbine, i'd like to get a M1 grande i like the older military weapons  
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies said:Looking at a .357 Mag revolver for my B-Day now, wish me luck.  When I start stocking up on that ammo it may affect my cigar budget though.
    I have a 3" S&W 686+... 7 shots of .357 from a stainless beauty.  Try it, you'll like it.

Also have two Walthers, a PPS and a PPW, both 9mm, and Kimber Super Carry.  The latest acquisition is a Sig P226 .40.

It'd be hard to pick a favorite; they all shoot well and I love each one dearly.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shooter here! AR and G19 are primary training weapons. Everything from revolvers to 1911s for everyday use, shoot skeet, shoot muzzleloader for hunting.
    I love building my own ARs and the wife and I shoot archery together.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A have a Glock 23 (.40 cal) with a 9mm conversion barrel, and a Remmy RM380 for CC. Also have a shotgun and a 30/30 and the wife has a .22 revolver. We like to go to the indoor range at our local Army/Navy store to practice.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @peter4jc how do you like the Walthers? I was thinking about buying the PPQ 9mm for c/c because the ergonomic handle which fits my hand like a glove or a SIG P250/P226 9mm b/c of the superior craftsmanship. How do the like the PPS/PPW and the SIG? 

Anyway I c/c a HK P2000 .40 or my FNS 9mm.

Other pistols i have are:
    Springfield XDS 9mm
    S & W M&P40
    FNX .40
    HK .45 Tac

I only have two rifles, FN SCAR-L 5.56 and the Barrett M82.

I generally don't shoot rifles often because of the cold temps and the need for almost perfect weather. Especially with the Barrett, I have a high mag scope so my targets need to be REALLY downrange. Plus lugging all of the computers and data and needing a spotting partner just becomes a pain in the ass. Last time I shot the Barrett was August 2015 because bullets are about $7 a piece so I make every shot count! lol
    Post edited by CigarFanatic on
    How do make this text turn upside down?
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @CigarFanatic I'd say for ergonomics, it's a toss-up between the PPQ and the P226- I love how they fit my hands.  They're both more accurate than I am, and have neither have ever had a hiccup.  The Sig is only 5mos. old, so I have a lot more range time with the Walther, but like them equally well.  For CC, I'd give the nod to the Walther because it's polymer; the Sig is built like a tank and weighs like one too.  I have a Galco shoulder harness that fits the P226, so that'd be the only way I'd carry it.  I carry the Kimber, but even that's several ounces lighter than the Sig.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a crossbow a few years ago, 'just in case' times get bad and I need to do some hunting. 
    The sig is a polymer frame isnt it?  My P320 which is basically the same as the P250 just with some nicer upgrades on it runs on the same modular frame as the p250.  The p320 could be an option instead of the 250. @peter4jc  and @CigarFanatic
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    The3Stogies said:Looking at a .357 Mag revolver for my B-Day now, wish me luck.  When I start stocking up on that ammo it may affect my cigar budget though.
    I have a 3" S&W 686+... 7 shots of .357 from a stainless beauty.  Try it, you'll like it.

Also have two Walthers, a PPS and a PPW, both 9mm, and Kimber Super Carry.  The latest acquisition is a Sig P226 .40.

It'd be hard to pick a favorite; they all shoot well and I love each one dearly.
    Hard to find S&W's up here, that caliber and new anyways.  The .357 I had to qualify with was a S&W, loved it, longer barrel though.  Did see one at Cabela's one day last summer, just the one I wanted too.  Thought about it then left, went back the next day and it was sold, whew.  Buy my guns from a local gunsmith, name of his place is "The Bar is Open".  
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an older DWA 357 with a 6" barrel that I enjoy shooting along with a couple other handguns. Arizona really is the wild west when it comes to gun laws, open carry, not unusual to see grandpa packing a desert eagle on his hip at the grocery store.

As far as .357 ammo breaking the bank you can use .38 special for plinking https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fzBdxsvS-kE
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    @CigarFanatic I'd say for ergonomics, it's a toss-up between the PPQ and the P226- I love how they fit my hands.  They're both more accurate than I am, and have neither have ever had a hiccup.  The Sig is only 5mos. old, so I have a lot more range time with the Walther, but like them equally well.  For CC, I'd give the nod to the Walther because it's polymer; the Sig is built like a tank and weighs like one too.  I have a Galco shoulder harness that fits the P226, so that'd be the only way I'd carry it.  I carry the Kimber, but even that's several ounces lighter than the Sig.
    I have the Walther PPQ M2. I like it, but I don't go to the range very often. The only issue is that around the 6th or 7th round every time it misfires. Guy at the range wanted to take a look next time I went, but I haven't been back. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
    Yeah but was he going to help you with your gun?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, what gun?  ;)
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Give me a 20 gauge shotty for deer and I'm happy but I do want to get into muzzle loaders
    Money can't buy taste