Home Non Cigar Related

Insomnia. What a pain.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some of you know I'm an insomniac.
My mind doesn't seem to know when to shut down. Most times, I find something to do at night. Tonight, I surf on my phone, posting stupid stuff and you lot get to suffer from it. LOL!

Some nights, I really get bored and work on trying figure out fuel efficiencies. (Yep, really boring stuff. LOL!) You would think that would put me to sleep. :s

Anyone else suffer from insomnia?

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    That sucks, is it because your mind gets going or you just can't sleep?  I count boob's.

Usually I sleep pretty good as a rule, much better now that I'm retired, that stress is gone.  I'd get up to tinkle and get thinking about crap at work, problems, projects, presentations.  You go home leaving a machine, or line, running iffy and I'd wait for the call in the back of my mind.  Sometimes I used to just get up and do what I could at home, even just thinking and taking notes, or call in myself to see how things were running.  

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing that frequently helps is to be sure you're properly hydrated when you go to bed. You'd be surprised how that simple thing will help. 
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fresh air and exercise, my friend. No caffeine after 2 pm also. 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and easy on the booze, alcohol disrupts rem sleep.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @The3Stogies I can't seem to shut the thought process off at bed time. I've tried reading books, but a subject in the book will come up and I'm off again.

@silvermouse, I don't drink alcohol.
    So that's never an issue.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, well then maybe that's the problem, lol, just kidding, I don't drink alcohol either (any more).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Have you tried meditation? I'm not an expert doctor but I did stay at a holiday inn recently. Seriously though, it helped a buddy of mine make some progress and I hope it would help you as well. 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Secks.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in the same boat as you, my brain just keeps running.  These days it's a good thing though, between my second shift job and taking care of my daughter during the day if I needed sleep I'd be screwed.  So it's not all bad, but I do feel for you, I'm used to gettin 3-6 max a night.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to never need a nap. Now I'm old I do. That's the way it is. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    Used to never need a nap. Now I'm old I do. That's the way it is. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.
    I believe it's time for my second nap of the day...
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when I suffered from insomnia, I found a cup of joe an hour before bed actually helped. I would be laying down when the crash came and could just go with it.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take naps whenever possible. My dispatch can't get it thru his thick skull that while docked loading and unloading is best time to catch some rest. You would think after a year of me telling him he would learn to leave me the heck alone.

I cannot seem to sleep more then 5hrs a shot so lil naps here and there keep me somewhat functioning. I do sleep better with a humm of a reefer unit but some units this outfit has sound like they gonna rattle of the front of the trailer..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    kswildcat said:
    I do sleep better with a humm of a reefer unit but some units this outfit has sound like they gonna rattle of the front of the trailer..
    I had to read this twice because the first time I thought you meant sumthin else. 
  • HrycajHrycaj Posts: 62 ✭✭
    @0patience by the sounds of that correction, truck drivers have it all figured out! Start applying 
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    @The3Stogies I can't seem to shut the thought process off at bed time. I've tried reading books, but a subject in the book will come up and I'm off again.

If it's a good book yeah, I'll just read one more chapter, okay a few more pages, maybe a few more.  Reading sucks me in more that watching tv.  My bedtime routine is watching some dvd's, old comedies usually, for about an hour or so.  That relaxes me and clears my head a bit.  Every time I watch the Stooges it reminds me of riding my bike down to the theater on Saturdays as a kid, Hogan's Heroes I think of my dad.  In the summer I fall asleep counting the boob's I saw at the beach that day, and smile.