Home General Discussion

Ccom/CI

gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
I've been around Ccom and the Forum for quite a while, and have read many posts on the Ccom/CI relationship. Here's a new one (for me at least)-received my American Express statement today and it shows a charge to Cigars International from about a month ago. Interesting thing is, this was an order to Ccom via Andy. Don't have a problem with this, just found it interesting as it was my understanding that they were separate companies that shipped out of the same warehouse. Wonder if there has been a change to that model....

Comments

• MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gripnrip said:
    I've been around Ccom and the Forum for quite a while, and have read many posts on the Ccom/CI relationship. Here's a new one (for me at least)-received my American Express statement today and it shows a charge to Cigars International from about a month ago. Interesting thing is, this was an order to Ccom via Andy. Don't have a problem with this, just found it interesting as it was my understanding that they were separate companies that shipped out of the same warehouse. Wonder if there has been a change to that model....
    If that change has been made, is the devil site still the devil?
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got someone else's order with an invoice from CI the other day. My order was from Ccom, of course. I was told there's another entity that does the shipping and the follow up email to get things straightened up was from Shared Services. 
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

I believe they are technically two separate companies with separate staffing but they share and have access to each others inventory and resources. I've always believed that and all the experiences I've had and read about support that theory. I've been able to get things from CI's inventory from a ccom account manager, although the normal discounts they could dish out would not be able to happen because it wasn't their inventory to discount. I had to pay the the CI price.

I don't think it really matters in the end. I've got no problem ordering from either, and as we all know, ccom is simply much more personally tuned to its online community's needs.

I've made up my own story as to how this happened...

A long time ago... There were two friends who shared a vision of being the largest distributor of cigars to the average Joe and started an online business. While they shared this same vision in principle, they had different roadmaps on how to get there. One wanted to be a B&M/online source while the other wanted to be exclusively online.

Both being the fine, upstanding BOTLs that they were, settled their differences amicably, probably over a Padron, that would give them each the fundamental ability to be the largest seller of cigars, but would allow for different avenues of approach.

Who knows how close my story is to the real one. But it works for me. ;-)

• gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Agree with all the above, just seems like it's a another level (and maybe a bit unsettling) that they shared my billing information. I've done some business (well, once-not a great experience) with CI (devil site), so I guess technically they have my billing information. Again, just seems odd that I ordered from one company and was billed by another. Maybe this is really not so unusual in today's third party logistics world.
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the internet which is never wrong both companies belong to one larger company.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    faux competition?