Home Non Cigar Related

When life gives you lemons

kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
Blew a tire and as you can see in the picture 1 bead had already came off the wheel. So my company shop in all their wisdom wanted me to roll down the interstate 30 miles to the nearest tire shop, risking the tire coming completely off the wheel and going into unexpecting traffic. This just to save an hr or so and $150 for the roadside service. This is on drivers side of the truck mind you.

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good on you, for taking the right way out and thinking of others' safety.

All in a day's work.  Bad part is you're not making money when you're sitting on the side of the road.  Maybe it gave you some time to get lit, yes?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you like it  :)

Hoping your Friday gets better. 
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for doing the right thing. Gratefully we will never know the accident you did NOT let occur. 
    Maybe the company will get you some much needed new tires all around.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always kinda kewl going into the caves. 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^Iron Mountain or some other outfit @kswildcat?
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Good for you Randy, did the right thing and got to smoke a good cigar.  I've seen plenty of rubber on the road but only seen one blow.  I was a ways back and saw it coming but it was still chaos in front of me.  Whenever I pass you guys I blow by anyways then get back to speed.  

Now if you had followed their "advice", and an accident had happened who would be responsible?  
    Springfield MO Jay. .

Of course I would be responsible George. More than not drivers do what they are told these days. It's a constant battle with my dispatch that I am the 1 that controls if this truck moves or notj. He is rather new and is use to drivers just doing what they are told. I just looked truck over 3hrs previous,  I hate running recaps.

Not quite sure if drivers are still stewards of the road. I'd say a good 75% either don't have their cb on or even have one. With seems a good majority running elogs it's pretty much become a me me society... 
    With the regulations and quantity not quality of drivers just don't see it.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drivers are responsible for the weight of their trucks, securing the load properly and any safety issues with their trucks. 
    All violations go on them. But in most states, the violation also goes to "points" for the company, which affects their insurance, so a smart company doesn't want that happening.

The driver is also responsible for correct paperwork. Logs, pretrip inspections and bills of lading.
    Any problems with these papers can incur an out of compliance ticket to the driver.

There is a lot on the driver that most folks don't know about.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Technically I was not legal after removing the tire but I'm not one to think the DOT purpose in life is to make my life miserable. I've found 99.999% are good understanding people. And I know they would rather me to remove the tire apposed to slinging rubber all over the interstate or tire coming off.

If any part of documents, paperwork, truck or myself do not comply I'm 100% responsible to park the truck until everything complies. 

This company I was told has a horrible rating. I was told by the safety director to be prepared to be inspected often. I have yet to be inspected and asked for my logbook.