Home Non Cigar Related

What really grinds my gears!

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
 So today on the way home I got stuck behind someone going below the speed limit!! Dang it people just drive or get off the road!! I just want to get home after a long day and really don't care that you have nothing to do. Maybe if you had something to look forward to you might just go 5 mph faster and go the speed limit!!
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Government plates?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's really irksome when your stuck behind someone driving slow as they read their phone, book, or newspaper. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Texting. My twin girls do it all the time and really ticks me off. Problem is they're not going slow.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed that Oregonians seem to have a tendency to hang in the left lane even when there's no particular reason for them to do so. I find it particularly annoying. 

I mean, if you're not passing someone why the hell not move over to the right and let those of us who want to move a little faster than you do get past you?  It's just downright thoughtless and rude, IMO. 

And it doesn't seem to matter whether they're in their own state or someone else's. They do it anyway....   B)
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're just celebrating Earth Day and trying to save her by polluting less.  :s
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like hanging in the left lane on lightly loaded freeways, especially at night. One reason is that when a drunk driver gets on the road going the wrong way they pick that lane thinking it's the slow lane. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always hang in the left freeway lane. Knuckleheads who don't know how to merge are criss-crossing the right lane to and from ramps. Critters dart out of the woods into the right lane. Everyone is dodging slowpoke dummies in and out of the right lane. Motorcycle rule of thumb is, take the far left, get away from that melee, and go about 3 mph faster than anyone else. I didn't make that up. A CHP taught us that in drivers ed. That way, said he, you really only have to worry about your starboard bow. Don't let yourself get surrounded.

Down the road to the Taco Belch today, some brain dead old fart braked to a stop three times in the same block, looking for a place to cross the median. I installed an air horn on Biffy Bullfrog, my KLR, for just such moments. Dikkhead just about lost it when I laid on the horn. Couple workmen pulled in behind me at the TBelch, admired Biffy's air horn, told me "That old guy's gonna get someone killed."

If you can't get with the program, get off the road. 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
     So today on the way home I got stuck behind someone going below the speed limit!! Dang it people just drive or get off the road!! I just want to get home after a long day and really don't care that you have nothing to do. Maybe if you had something to look forward to you might just go 5 mph faster and go the speed limit!!
    Was that you, sorry about that, lol.  

On the rare occasion I use the highways I try and stay in the middle lane, at the limit or a little above.  If I have to pass I try and blow by and get back in my lane, like to see what's in front of me.  Hate it when you're going about 75 and some fools hanging on your side, not much room for error.  Up here in the summer you have to be a defensive driver around town, you get used to it. 
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was thinking the same thing yesterday, but what annoys me even more are these road bicycle riders (I'm sure I will offend someone on here so sorry).  On a two lane road, they drive about 10 feet off the curb and while they are probably going fast for a bicycle they are actually going about 20 mph.  Now you have to swerve into the other lane of traffic to pass them, and hope they don't hit a pothole or move while you are passing them.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These 9 to 5 elog  truck drivers in their slowazz trucks. Zero courtesy and constantly in the way. Want to drag race you thru town and hotrod their trucks in the only place they can, the parking lots. Have to wear bright azz clothes so the morons don't run you over. 

Another bs regulation that does nothing but put these idiots in a hurry everywhere they go. Speed thru small towns and just drive like it's all about them, nobody else matters.

OK sorry about the rant.  :)
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    I can't stand when some one cruises in the left lane. Florida just passed a law this past October that says you cannot obstruct the flow of traffic in the left lane even if the person is speeding. Gonna start writing tickets again
    This was one of the great things about living in Germany, Polizei gave out tickets to the slowpokes in the left lane.  Which were almost always Americans, because the Germans have to learn how to to drive instead of just having Mom and Pop toss them the keys.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was thinking the same thing yesterday, but what annoys me even more are these road bicycle riders (I'm sure I will offend someone on here so sorry).  On a two lane road, they drive about 10 feet off the curb and while they are probably going fast for a bicycle they are actually going about 20 mph.  Now you have to swerve into the other lane of traffic to pass them, and hope they don't hit a pothole or move while you are passing them.
    The other great thing in Germany, real bike lanes, for bicycles, instead of the local govt. just painting a line on the side of the already-too-narrow road and calling it a bike lane.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ehh i get what you're sayin' @rsherman24 ; def a pain in the butt to get stuck behind someone like that.  (especially when they're all decked out in spandex and you know they think they're as awesome as lance armstrong -- they're not!)

but i'll forgive 'em a little bit if there's no shoulder/curb to ride on.  i've had to ride on roads like that in the past (riding to work from our old house) and believe me, i did not like having to ride out in the travel lane but there was literally no other option. 

but you know what's even worse......the bicycle riders who ride in the road even though there's a freaking paved bike path 5 feet from the side of the road.  like why? why do they feel the need to ride in a 45 MPH travel when there's a 10 foot wide path literally right next to them.....grrrrrr

02.png 752.1K

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah @jgibv , this guy was obviously in training for the Tour de France.  Yellow spandex head to toe.  We don't have any bike lanes here, so I should give them a little slack.  This guy was just a d*bag.  
  • CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Ah yes! PA's and Scranton's infamous potholes! I think I just got my third alignment done for my car this year! And don't get me started on Interstate 84 or 81. Really just need a tank for those highways.
    How do make this text turn upside down?
    edited April 2016
    Ah yes! PA's ans Scranton's infamous potholes! I think I just got my third alignment done for my car this year! And don't get me started on Interstate 84 or 81. Really just need a tank for those highways.
    That's pretty much everywhere. When they say our infustructure is crumbling they ain't kidding. Roads are FAR worse then they where just 11yrs ago.

Truck I drive is a 2014 and already sounds like a rattle trap. Roads eat up shocks, airbags and tires like mad. I'm just fortunate to be in a KW apposed to a freightshaker.. Use to never use  load locks to keep load in place, now it's pretty much a givin. And need a jack to install them so they don't fall within 30 miles. And often have to reset cruise especially at a bridge.  Some are so bad it will knock the truck out of gear.

If your thinking the road taxes your paying at the pump is going towards the roads I can assure you they arent. And if and when they do road repair it's often using recycled asphalt which is pretty much like pissing on a flat rock.
    Post edited by kswildcat on
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok today my rant is the cost of tools!! Wtf? I spent $90 on a pipe wrench and another $100 on a impact driver. Yeah I know not everyone in the world will buy or ever need one but why kill us blue collar guys because we are not a home owner
    Money can't buy taste
    I feel for Tony @0patience. I'm just an auto tech and him being a diesel tech he has to have most if not all the tools I have, he also has to have big wrenches.  I have a good $60k or better collecting dust so can only imagine what he has tied up in tools. I refuse to sell mine cause never know if I'll need them again.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really a lot of difference in auto and HD truck tools, just that my sockets and wrenches go to 3".
    And one of my torque wrenches was $600. 
    I'm not even sure what I have total on my truck.
    Over 35 years, you tend to accumulate a lot though.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Not really a lot of difference in auto and HD truck tools, just that my sockets and wrenches go to 3".
    And one of my torque wrenches was $600. 
    I'm not even sure what I have total on my truck.
    Over 35 years, you tend to accumulate a lot though.

Ugh I feel for you man! I lose tools all the time so you tend to buy back ups and more and more acummulate next thing you know it's a chore to find something. I hope the best for you
    Money can't buy taste