Home General Discussion

What do you keep for guests?

I want to keep some cigars in the humidor to give to people who come over to the house.  Being very new to the cigar world I am looking for a little guidance as to what I should get.  I would prefer to keep them in the $2-$3 ea range.  Do you guys keep anything specific in your humidor for this?

Comments

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I so bad want to say ideal place to get rid of Gurkhas and RP.

At that price you will have to catch them on sale (which isn't hard ) and most likely be new smokers so I'd say 5 Vegas gold, Ave Maria immaculata and MOW virtue

If they've smoked before or smoke cigs 5 Vegas AAA,  tat tattoo or flor de los antilles are very good cheap smokes that can be had for 3ish or less 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I still smoke these myself but think they make good "introductory" smokes for someone's first time.  

AVO Classic

CAO CX2  robusto. (Avoid the Belicoso/torpedo. I've had tight draws.)

Arturo Fuente "Natural" (Green stripe on band. -  Cameroons)

Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Illusione Rothchildes - very good flavor that spans almost every palate

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • ThePascoThePasco Posts: 12
    Looks like the price range I posted might be a little unrealistic?

If you wait for sales it is doable, but a lot of what you would find in that range is simply stuff most of us wouldn't give our friends. Even if they were new smokers.

Keep an eye online for the 5 vegas golds.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    If you wait for sales it is doable, but a lot of what you would find in that range is simply stuff most of us wouldn't give our friends. Even if they were new smokers.

Keep an eye online for the 5 vegas golds.
    There are so many options so I was thinking that $3ish would be doable.  Looks like there are a lot more options in the $5 range.
    Don't just look at MSRP, keep an eye on the daily deals (free shipping) .

First figure out what you want to offer your guests, then figure out how much you'd be willing to pay. I tend to offer different things to each guest based on what I feel they would like.

Be patient and wait on sales. Every cigar I listed can be had for $3 or less, done it many times. Not sure on other recommendations. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The conundrum is, if they're new do I want to assume they can't appreciate a very good stick so I give them something inexpensive, or do I want to show them right up front what a really good stick tastes like?

You might want to take a shot in the dark at how many times you'll be giving out sticks to how many friends...  Let's say that over the course of a year you have 5 sets of 3 friends over.  An $8 cigar versus a $4 cigar would be a difference of $60.  I say if you care about these pipples, you splurge for the extra $60 for that year.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they appreciate a good cigar I'll share anything. But very few of my friends do, so they get lesser sticks, on the infrequent occasion that they even want one. Usually many beers are being consumed so I wouldn't even grab a really good smoke for myself.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    For me it depends...if I know they actually enjoy cigars well they can pick what they want. If I know they barely ever smoke then I'll find something small and ok
    Money can't buy taste
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it depends...if I know they actually enjoy cigars well they can pick what they want. If I know they barely ever smoke then I'll find something small and ok
    This is what I do, for the most part.  I have never purchased cigars that I do not enjoy with the sole purpose being given to visitors.  However I do have sticks that I enjoy that cost less that they too might enjoy.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Just to add...what got me into cigars was a deeply aged padron anniversario I friend gave me after I gave him some Cubans my ex had got for me. No I didn't give him all but well the padron was one of the best cigars I had truly enjoyed! If you give people sub par stuff they probably will not like it and if they do they have no idea or just being polite. It's always nice to get people into this great fixation most of us have and well the more the merrier
    Money can't buy taste
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    A little bit of everything. Depends on if they are a true BOTL or just want to try it out. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep pest repellent for guests.

Oh! You mean cigars!
    I keep Torano 1916s for those who want to smoke with me, unless its someone I know likes a certain cigar. Then I try and keep 1 or 2 of those.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    edited April 2016
    Really the only person I spend time with that is at all interested is my friend that takes care of my stash while I'm on the road. He pretty much can smoke anything in the cooler except  what was a bomb, hard to find limited, or something I only have 1 of..

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    If they've never smoked a premium I give them a Vegas Gold then a Classic the second time.  They usually huff them too quickly at first like a cigarette.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One option might be the CCOM house blend Purple Label.  Cheap, mild, nice flavor.  For a little more money, I think that your goal is a proper use of mildly flavored cigars, the Cafe con Leche's, "latte" kind of stuff from DE.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I let a friend or neighbor grab whatever they want out of the cooler. I figure they can choose what looks good to them and hopefully they enjoy it. I might steer them towards something if they have never had a chat otherwise it's up to them.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the huge town I live in I don't have many come over that have ever smoked anything other than a swisher sweet or a backwood  so pretty much anything I have is good. La Perla Black Pearl Morado is always a good one and can be bought very reasonable.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loot at some of the seconds sold by ccom.  The AB 2nd's are good smokes and pretty cheap.  They don't have labels, so if they ask what it is you can use your imagination.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see this question as a balancing act between how much you want them to enjoy the cigar vs a good cigar going to waste. Perhaps your guest is just barely willing to puff because the host offered and they want to participate. Or, maybe they are truly curious and you want to offer them something that will fit their palate as a newb.  Already the variables are endless. And the choice of cigar for this plan will be endless. 

I say don't sweat it either way. Some of the cigars suggested so far in this thread if you haven't already tried them, are worth trying yourself if you get a chance. Keep looking for deals, and, f you want to trade with me for a few that I would recommend, send me a PM. 
    Thanks for all the replies.  Time to start buying some cigars now.
    Personally I would suggest the fuente short story! Great smoke and small. Most new people will not smoke more then half of a bigger cigar and you'll feel hurt
    Money can't buy taste
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second Lee's suggestion. Recently I've been introducing some of my co-workers to cigars when we travel. I usually bring them a Short Story, they can't handle a 1.5 hour smoke, so the Short Story works well for their attention span, and they've both commented on liking them. One of the guys even bought the last 2 left at the B&M when we stopped in the next day :) 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThePasco said:
    Thanks for all the replies.  Time to start buying some cigars now.
    It's always time to buy cigars. :D

Enjoy your foray into this new hobby!
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    Until I can find some of your guys recommendations on sale I picked up a box of Ether Flux.  Had a friend over and gave them a try, we both liked them.  I did see the 5 Vegas Gold's come up on sale with an online retailer but didnt pull the trigger fast enough and the robusto's sold out.  Looks like when you see something you gotta jump on it!
    Try them first with a 5er and decide what your willing to pay, then pull the trigger whenever you see it lower than that.