Home Non Cigar Related

We are targeted for robbery

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
our mailbox has been marked 2 times in the last 3 days with a black "X" on the door. We were advised that this meant an imminent robbery. Each time I have cleaned it off. The police were notified of both occasions.

Please send good vibes and prayers. Pray that this happens when no one is home and if we are home... Pray that my aim and my shots hit center mass and take down the perp... We are all Scared shitless. 

and to the **** that disagrees with my posts. This is serious. Please just pass this by. My one simple request of you, just be a decent human for once and respect this. Thanks.
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prayers in route.. Hoping it's just another one of those deals like the color stickers placed on mailboxes (not sure what the reasoning for them was anymore), but the tinfoil hat community was convinced it was marking houses for each level of resistance for when fema rounding up people. 
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    That's brazen, be careful.  Isn't it kinda stupid to mark it like that?  Let your neighbors know keep an eye on the place maybe.  Leave a spent casing or 2 laying around too, lol.
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts and prayers.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully whoever is doing that is just as a prank and nothing serious happens.  Whoever is doing it has some balls.  Good luck man!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Good vibes and hope being sent your way. Agree with @The3Stogies that it seems rather strange for a robber to mark a mailbox. Isn't the element of surprise and/or stealth the main advantage a criminal has over his potential victim? Don't they think that once they "mark" a place the owner will become extra vigilant, including wisely keeping his weapon at this side?   
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My prayers are with you brother.
    Non Crux sed lux
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I literally was awake all night. Taking today off work to put up fences, install security cameras and wait for someone to show up. Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers. We are all so on edge... It's terrible. We talked to all of our neighbors last night so we have everyone watching out for us when they can. Such a load of crap. Shouldn't have to live this way. 
    Wylaff said:
    Stop wiping off the x and start circling it  ;)

We found that list of markings and their meanings last night. That's my game plan. Then also marking the 'keyholes in the D' for too risky.... My wife and I ran drills on how to handle a break in before we went to bed. Whoever breaks in will be in for a nasty surprise. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put up a Beware of dog sign and an Under Surveillance sign.
     Those should deter most people.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    I'm picking up some dummy security cameras to put up around the house and putting up fences to block off our back yard access. 
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck Chris!!
    We have a pit bull mix and cameras and are on a dead end street. Most people don't bother our house. LOL!

And put a "special forces" or "Honorary Sherrif Deputy" decal on your front door. LOL!
    If they still break in, they deserve to be shot.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    We have friends offering to bring their dogs over and I have a brother who is armed to the teeth and has offered unbridled access to his gun safe. Lol :) 
    I found a sticker years back for my wife that I wanted to out on the door.
    She's a cook.
    It said,
    NINJA CHEF
    IF YOU BREAK IN HERE, NO ONE WILL FIND THE BODY.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all reality, there is no honor among thieves. If someone thought you were a good target it would be stupid for them to advertise it to competition. Most likely the mark is for JH's or Mormons to know not to come by, or a utility company marking of that this house is ineligible for service, or something similar.

That said, I am still praying on your behalf, just trying to instill a little calm rational thinking.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    damn man.  yeah hopefully it's something less sinister like @Wylaff suggested and just utilities, door-to-door salesman, etc. 
    definitely strange though.

you don't have to upgrade your home to fort knox.....just make it less appealing to thieves than your neighbors houses. 

some great ideas here on how to improve/upgrade your security:
    http://www.urbachletter.com/Archive/Safety_1003_BurglaryPrevention.htm

but a couple quick and easy ideas in the meantime:
    get some motion flood lights install them near on every corner of your house.  i have 2 of these for our backyard and they work great.  easy to install, bright, and good battery life. 

get a real security alarm and add the monitoring service if you can afford it. 
    i know the systems can get pricey so if that's out of the question, at the very least get some "security alarm" signs/stickers and put them near your front and back doors.

get a dog. seriously. 
    every house (about 10 total) on our old block was broken into in the span of about 2 weeks.  the only one that wasn't broken into? ours. the only one that had a dog? ours. even the police officers suggested that our dog scared them off and was the only reason our house wasn't broken into.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Just sank posts and installed heavy wired fencing on the sides of my house. Should give someone a harder time getting in and will give us evidence of someone trying to get into our yard now. 

I really hope we are overthinking this. Too many things point to something to be concerned about. 
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All great ideas and keep calm. My wife and I just applied for our pistol permits. Our instructor's motto is two in the chest and one in the head.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just sank posts and installed heavy wired fencing on the sides of my house. Should give someone a harder time getting in and will give us evidence of someone trying to get into our yard now. 

I really hope we are overthinking this. Too many things point to something to be concerned about. 
    post up a couple pics of the exterior of your house.  and/or a pic or 2 of the new wire fence. 

i'm sure we could give you better suggestions if we had an idea of what your house/ surroundings looked like. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may want to look into the video ring doorbell and simply safe.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    kswildcat said:
    We have friends offering to bring their dogs over and I have a brother who is armed to the teeth and has offered unbridled access to his gun safe. Lol :) 
    It's important to say. If you have no or limited experience with firearms, getting one is not always a great idea. I'm a huge 2nd amendment supporter and believe people should protect themselves and their love ones.
    Although I'm not 1 to believe that a person has to have extensive training, I believe a person should know how to handle firearms safely and practice. If your not fully prepared to shoot someone without hesitation you have no business drawing the weapon,  or even having  it for protection in my opinion. 

If cannot afford training or not available in your area ask a LEO or veteran for help. Most LEO are big 2nd amendment supporters and will most likely be happy to help. Firearm safety is common sense, but common sense isn't so common these days. Some owners have bad habits. There is also tons of videos of instructors going over basics online.. You not only need to practice shooting, it's also important to practice drawing the weapon and going through what could happen 

Too add, you need to know who you're shooting at before you shoot, especially since you're not alone. Good luck with this but I would put up a real camera to catch who is actually doing it and when. Erase it again, call in sick, and then wait for them to show up.
    The fences are metal posts sunk 2 feet into the ground and are a heavy gauge wire. It's about 4.5 feet high. This isn't to keep someone out as much as it is to show me when or if they have been tampered with in order to gain access to the back of the house. I have several day/night/IR cams installed now (Best Buy is the s**t) and basically the vast majority of the house is visible via my phone. 

As for gun experience... I'm  proficient with most guns (pistol, rifle, shotgun, revolvers) from .22 up to .50cal. I've had quite a bit of experience firing, loading, unloading, disassembling and reassembling. 

Most st of the measures I've taken are to make sure my wife is comfortable. I don't need her being anxious or scared to be home. I'm sure all this will be enough to calm her down. 
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Positive thoughts coming your way, no one should have to live like this.

Strangely, before reading this post a young woman knocked at my door and left a "Dish network" flyer. One week ago, a male came to my door and wanted to talk about switching my electric provider. I informed him while I appreciate his company's efforts, I don't make decisions to do business on my doorstep and to leave me a website, so I could do more research. But, after reading your post I'm realizing that summer time brings out a lot of idle hands from people with bad intentions. I actually have a "do not trespass" sign on the door and on property borders, guess I'll have to inform the solicitors that they should respect the postings.
    The secret word is cigars! 
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soliciting I don't think is technically trespassing.  Put a no soliciting sign on your door.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good vibes your way. Remember that the sound of a pump shotgun is international for "get the h*ll out!". Seriously though, a shotgun with buckshot makes a great home defense weapon.
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    The in home arsenal for me, coupled with 19 years of martial arts. Have always joked someone breaking in isnt the problem, the problem is them getting back out alive.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure if anybody has access to your house, like friends or relatives, that they know you are on edge so they dont stop by unannounced
    A little dirt never hurt