Home Non Cigar Related

We are targeted for robbery

2»

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The latest scam around here has been a man going through the neighborhood, knocking on doors and asking if people would be interested in upgrading their security system or installing a new one.  People actually invite him in to discuss it.  He takes note of those who don't have any protection, eyes up their sh*t, and comes back later when no one is home to kick in the door.

I guess the answer is always, "Yes, I have the latest wireless alarm system, and am very happy with it."  Kinda like when someone asks you if you ever smoked a certain cigar...  the answer is always, "Yes, and I have a box of 'em."
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Make sure if anybody has access to your house, like friends or relatives, that they know you are on edge so they dont stop by unannounced
    Amen, I once showed up for a party and the door was answered by a gent with a hand gun. I didn't get the message that the party was cancelled because some unsavory types were invited, I was coming in from out of town. 

Someone thought it would be funny to post NAMBLA meeting fliers with my friends address for that night, not cool. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have exterior lighting, motion sensors?  
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soliciting I don't think is technically trespassing.  Put a no soliciting sign on your door.
    Soliciting technically is asking for contributions, isn't it? We get these "We're doing a roofing job in the area and..." sales kids all the time. Our contract with ComCast is up, so we're gonna get an endless string of FIOS sales kids this summer. Been there, done that, long ago. Tough way to make a few bucks during summer vacay. Toughest part is everyone loves to hate salesmen. Had a kid show up the other day looking for lawns to mow. Gotta say, the age at which kids can't find any better work has certainly risen. All the low pay jobs seem to have gone to illegal aliens under obamanomics. 

Bottom line, I don't see any harm in people trying to make a dime selling something. That's not thieves. Shoot the thief; wish the salesman luck.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    MikeTodd said:
    Good vibes your way. Remember that the sound of a pump shotgun is international for "get the h*ll out!". Seriously though, a shotgun with buckshot makes a great home defense weapon.
    Not a gun owner or trained to be one yet, but if I were I think I'd go for a shotgun as well. Seems to me that you'd want your home invader to hear the sound of a weapon getting ready to be fired...that would probably send 95% of them out the door. And it you had to use it I would think something you needed two hands to shoot with might be more accurate for the amateur than a handgun?
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Exactly the point I was trying to make @MikeTodd.. A lot of people use a firearm in hopes to scare someone away. Although some may flea, some wont. If the intruder doesn't fle and your not prepared to shoot they can easily over power you and your pretty much guaranteed dead at that point..

@james40 you are right. Knowing what your shooting at and what's beside and behind what your shooting at is basic firearm safety..  If choosing a firearm for home protection  I would suggest a tac-lite with strobe. Even in daylight my crimson trace can irritate the eyes giving me an advantage, at night I have a clear advantage. That is of course unless intruder has a strobe as well
    Post edited by kswildcat on
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    Just sank posts and installed heavy wired fencing on the sides of my house. Should give someone a harder time getting in and will give us evidence of someone trying to get into our yard now. 

I really hope we are overthinking this. Too many things point to something to be concerned about. 
    post up a couple pics of the exterior of your house.  and/or a pic or 2 of the new wire fence. 

i'm sure we could give you better suggestions if we had an idea of what your house/ surroundings looked like. 
    bump for pic request

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @First_Warrior I honor your service
    A little dirt never hurt
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second that sir.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    If you do get a firearm take it to a range and burn through a box of rounds. Both you and your wife should be familiar enough with the gun or guns to handle them in the dark. Shotguns are safer than pistols. If having firearms causes more stress than comfort leave them alone. Dirtbags like to steal guns.
    It may be that pepper spray is all you need. Tazer?
    Really, the last thing you want to do is shoot someone. I killed in war and I live with it every day. 
    And you also live with the respect and gratitude of us all! :) 

we we already have a .38 special. My wife has put over 50 rounds through it and I've put over 200 rounds through it.  My wife won't ever touch the gun in an incident. Her responsibility is to call 911 and get her and the child out of the house while I cover them. I don't want to kill anyone but have come to the conclusion that I might have to. Things have settled here since the cameras went up and we are all a little more at ease. 
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Whenever I read the title, this comes to mind. 

https://youtu.be/_58YdwEKkZY

• Bat-mastersonBat-masterson Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Always say if they can get by my 160lb mastiff and she is small for her breed and my scared shitless coonhound and I'm  not home to shoot them then they deserve  everything i have. Plus I'm  insured  
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shotguns are safer than pistols. If having firearms causes more stress than comfort leave them alone. Dirtbags like to steal guns.
    It may be that pepper spray is all you need. Tazer?
    Really, the last thing you want to do is shoot someone. I killed in war and I live with it every day. 
    How to put this tastefully.

Some folks think they have it in them to protect themselves and pull the trigger, but remember one thing. If you pull that trigger, you will hesitate and if you do pull the trigger, a part of your soul will go with them.

Unless you have been in that type of situation, you can talk big all you want. When you look into the eyes of an assailant and see his soul and pull that trigger, you have no idea how your life is about to change forever.

Protect yourself and your family, make it hard for them, but it is only material things.
    As Rodger said, last resort.

Just my opinion on that.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree... I can replace my electronics but not my family.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been thinking of taking a tactical class myself.  When I got into guns again a few years ago I wasn't as familiar with handguns, just played with rifles.  Guys I worked with ran the county gun club so took classes there concentrating on safety.  Last thing I want to do is shoot someone by accident.  Took some other classes and just practiced.  Qualified for my cc but rarely carry here.  

Now if anything happened I really don't know how I would react, but flight does come to mind.  Was talking to a guy from NY last summer at the beach, he was a cop in the city, plain clothes, he's the one that talked me into a tactical class.  He told me most gun fights are pretty close so you have to react fast.  I could've talked to this guy all day, different situations and stuff.  There was a guy 20 feet or so walking towards us on the sidewalk, he said "That guy just pulled a gun what do you do".  I said I'd dive behind that bush beside us and fumble to get my gun out, if I had one.  Diving at him didn't occur to me.  Got me to thinking I may need some lessons, I may still run screaming like a girl but at least I'll know to not run straight.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Glad to hear things are better.