Home Non Cigar Related

Outdoor Kitchen

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
Anybody have one? The wife and I are going to build one this spring and I'm looking for pointers in what you like and do not like in your kitchen. We are going to use a regular natural gas grill and build the counter around it insead of buying the built in grills that cost scads of money. There will also be a sink with hot and cold water.

On the subject of grills, what do you think about radiant heat grills? Home Depot has some great looking Char-Broil radiant heat gas grills that are at a great price but I have never cooked on one of these before and am a bit hesitant to buy it without ever seeing one in action.

Comments

• jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    My wife and I are planning the same project. We too like the radiant grills but haven't had the experiece of using one. They seem great and the technology behind the idea sounds good. The only thing I wondered about is the drippings on to the ceramic plate.

For additional ideas, we're going with a small fridge and some side burners. Everythign but a stove really. We will also have a sink but will use a trap system to catch any objects or food that gets washed down the drain. Our drainage in the backyard drains out on to the street so we have to trap any thing that goes into the sink. We'll build a cabana style eve so we can add lighting for cooking late and enteraining guess at night. To make it over the top we've discusses putting a central control system for outdoor lighting and sound. Everything could be controlled by the bar keep. From the wireless speaker system to the soft lighting in the bushes. But thats costly so we'll see if she buys off on it.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Very nice, be sure to post pics when its completed. What are you facing your bar with?
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    No input but can't wait to see pics of both of your projects
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I've been wanting a wood fired oven type deal to bake bread or pizzas. Or the green egg grills are pretty sweet too. My favorite toy is my Cook shack smoker
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe Instone Co. Carries Isokern, they were going to have pizza ovens don't know if they do yet, they do have nice fireboxes/firepits, little pricey though. Built some regular bread ovens for a sample project to be used in africa, pretty neat system! As far as outdoor kitchens check out Benson Sone company in Rockford, IL for ideas unbelivable setups!!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Whichever grill you get, if you can get it as an option or attachment, get an infrared cooker - it's amazing. You plop the meat on, and the infrared sears the outside of the meat quickly, sealing all the juices in, then you transfer it to the regular grill for the rest of the cooking
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I'd opt for a grill that has a charcoal and gas grill. Lowes has one with a smoker box too. Nothing beats wood grilled meat (there's a pun in there somewhere)..
  • Cigar-733845Cigar-733845 Posts: 1
    Today, most people like to have outdoor kitchens. Those who have enough space outside their houses, set up outdoor kitchens, and decorate and equip them with the latest outdoor kitchen appliances. There are various types of outdoor kitchen appliances available and you can buy the appliances, which are most suitable for you and those that you need the most. You can also design your outdoor kitchen according to your preference and enjoy a pleasant cooking experience.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :no_mouth:
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the cigar.com forum.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the space for outdoor kitchen, but would have loved to have one.  Post pics when you are finished.

This is the non-cigar related thread so I guess it's OK to talk about grilling.
    YankeeMan said:

This is the non-cigar related thread so I guess it's OK to talk about grilling.
    Yeah, it just seemed like an odd first post.  And the wording is starchy too... just came off as spammy.  Hopefully, whoever it is, posts more and fits in.
    You're killin' me, Luken!
    One mosquito bite to the taint and you'll rethink outdoor s3x....
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Yeah. It's even worse than s e x on the beach where ya get sand EVERYWHERE.  At least the sand'll wash off eventually....   o:)
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    How about having a pesky little tick embed himself in the bottom of your sack and you have to go have that cut out at the hospital.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Personal experience?

I came home from hunting and had one in my a$$ crack I couldn't get out.  My wife was a brave soul and tried every home remedy for getting them to come out including using a lighter.  No luck so I had to go to the ER and have it cut out.  Sucked a lot and the antibiotic shot they gave me was super strong and messed me up for a day.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Oh, ouch. 

I learned a trick while I was in Alaska - maybe you've heard of it. A guy I knew who had sled dogs told me that his method of removing ticks from his dogs was to put a blob of heavy grease - like wheel bearing grease - over the tick. This cuts off its air supply and it'll back out of there trying to get to breathable air. 

My only experience with a tick came before I had heard of this. It was in my belly, just under my belt buckle. A lit cigarette caused him to back out but was a tad painful in the process.....  B)
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You finally found a use for those Ghurkas??
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came home from hunting and had one in my a$$ crack I couldn't get out.  My wife was a brave soul and tried every home remedy for getting them to come out including using a lighter.  No luck so I had to go to the ER and have it cut out.  Sucked a lot and the antibiotic shot they gave me was super strong and messed me up for a day.
    I'd rather keep the tick than have a gal take a lighter to my ass!
    You talkin' to me, Mike?  If so, it was a lit cigarette, not a cigar. That was before I got into cigars. 

And as for Gurk's, there are a couple I'll smoke. The Centurian perfecto comes to mind....  and I can't remember the other one right now. Maybe the HMR.....  :p
    Bob_Luken said:
    I'd rather keep the tick than have a gal take a lighter to my ass!
    No doubt Chalupa Batman asked herself if beans were served at dinner before she proceeded.
    Chalupa Batman??  <giggle> <snort>
    jlmarta said:
    Chalupa Batman??  <giggle> <snort>
    That would be Mrs Goatee

Ah, so. I hadn't heard that before. S' cuse da ignorance, please..  o:)
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chalupa_Batman is the username.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes, Brad. That could have been me a few years ago. I worked for a guy doing various farm related chores and one year tick numbers were higher than normal. We were taking out old fence and working in tall grass near the fence line. I had on a white shirt and the other guy counted over twenty at one time just on my shirt. Might have had a hundred on me that day total. I was afraid to look after work, but I didn't have any locked on me.
    One year turkey hunting I took up a seat underneath a tree.  I think I sat in a tick hive or whatever the heck it would be.  That day my buddy and I pulled over 60 off of us before we decided to just burn the clothes.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!