Home Cigar 101

travel lighter/torch

UnicornUnicorn Posts: 451 ✭✭
What's the best one to travel with? i.e. one that won't make me get stopped going through customs. I'm headed to Taiwan in a couple months and I'm planning ahead.

Comments

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't think you would have an issue going through customs with one especially if you are checking luggage. Pack up your favorite and go. May want to drain it before you fly though.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooooh, good question. There was this thread around here somewhere that had a lot of talk about airport security and lighters and cutters. OK, Let me see if I can find that.
  • UnicornUnicorn Posts: 451 ✭✭
    matkn293:
    I wouldn't think you would have an issue going through customs with one especially if you are checking luggage. Pack up your favorite and go. May want to drain it before you fly though.
    I need to buy a favorite first. Currently I am using kitchen matches! :)
    Bob Luken:
    Oooooh, good question. There was this thread around here somewhere that had a lot of talk about airport security and lighters and cutters. OK, Let me see if I can find that.
    I looked all through the Cigar 101 forum. Thanks!
    Found a few discussions. There are a few no nos but, just check the TSA website for the latest updates.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/84838.aspx

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/1/107232/ShowThread.aspx
    Unicorn:
    matkn293:
    Kitchen matches! You poor thing. LOL (You already know to let the sulfur tip completely burn up before you get those anywhere near your cigar, right?)
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unicorn:
    What's the best one to travel with? i.e. one that won't make me get stopped going through customs. I'm headed to Taiwan in a couple months and I'm planning ahead.
    I've never had a problem with my cigars/lighters/cutters in my checked bags when traveling out of the county
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    One of the lighters I have and really like is the Xikar Crossover. It's a small single torch and one of the things that caught my attention is the EVH style design to it like he has on his guitars. I know there are some reviews on YouTube if you want to get a better look too.

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

jimmyv723:
    One of the lighters I have and really like is the Xikar Crossover. It's a small single torch and one of the things that caught my attention is the EVH style design to it like he has on his guitars. I know there are some reviews on YouTube if you want to get a better look too.

Nice! I wonder if it comes in pink. Gonna look!
    Bob Luken:
    Unicorn:
    matkn293:
    Kitchen matches! You poor thing. LOL (You already know to let the sulfur tip completely burn up before you get those anywhere near your cigar, right?)
    I did not. Now I do!!!
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smoke em if you got em:
    Unicorn:
    I've never had a problem with my cigars/lighters/cutters in my checked bags when traveling out of the county
    Must not use a torch, Royln? I was curious so I pulled up the TSA website. Can't even have a torch lighter in a checked bag. Guess I'll buy a couple disposables for my next trip.
    http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jamie to get through airport security you will need to buy a couple things. One is a product from Colibri that TSA approves lighters to be carried in called the Colibri Tranzpack. It looks like a yellow oversized pill that you out your lighter in and TSS approves of it to be carried into planes. Second thing is you will need to have the lighter EMPTY of butane fuel inside the Tranzpack in order to take it with you as well. Hope that helps. As for specific lighters.... I'm a Xikar guy all the way and the EX and EXII lines are my fave.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CharlieHeis:
    smoke em if you got em:
    Unicorn:
    Must not use a torch, Royln? I was curious so I pulled up the TSA website. Can't even have a torch lighter in a checked bag. Guess I'll buy a couple disposables for my next trip.
    I've traveled with both a torch and soft flame inside my her a dor in my checked baggage...learn something new eerrrday don't we?
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smoke em if you got em:
    CharlieHeis:
    smoke em if you got em:
    Unicorn:
    I've traveled with both a torch and soft flame inside my her a dor in my checked baggage...learn something new eerrrday don't we?
    Good to know. My luck, I'd get a by-the-book agent and get hassled. I'll look into what Brett talked about too:
    90+ Irishman:
    Jamie to get through airport security you will need to buy a couple things. One is a product from Colibri that TSA approves lighters to be carried in called the Colibri Tranzpack. It looks like a yellow oversized pill that you out your lighter in and TSS approves of it to be carried into planes. Second thing is you will need to have the lighter EMPTY of butane fuel inside the Tranzpack in order to take it with you as well. Hope that helps. As for specific lighters.... I'm a Xikar guy all the way and the EX and EXII lines are my fave.
    90+ Irishman:
    Good looking out. I hate Bic lighters. I'm afraid of burning my fingers. lol
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CharlieHeis:
    smoke em if you got em:
    CharlieHeis:
    smoke em if you got em:
    Unicorn:
    Good to know. My luck, I'd get a by-the-book agent and get hassled. I'll look into what Brett talked about too:
    90+ Irishman:
    I've had both types the ones that don't care and let it go and I've had the sticklers and lost a few lighters that way. Now I play it safe every time. Not going to bend over and ask for a boning when I could easily avoid it.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
    90+ Irishman:
    CharlieHeis:
    smoke em if you got em:
    CharlieHeis:
    smoke em if you got em:
    Unicorn:
    90+ Irishman:
    I've had both types the ones that don't care and let it go and I've had the sticklers and lost a few lighters that way. Now I play it safe every time. Not going to bend over and ask for a boning when I could easily avoid it.
    Colibri Reload might be a good choice to travel with since the butane comes in reloadable cartridges that are easily removeable.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unicorn:
    matkn293:
    My favorite lighter is a Bugatti my wife bought me for fathers day awhile ago.but I also have several floating around I use often.I use a ronson jetlite in my truck and at work.its a good lighter available at Walmart and lots of other places sells for 3-4$ .
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I travel a lot and there are two ways to deal with this : 1. Use a soft flame lighter which can be something like a BIC or the Ronson Comet or even something like the Xikar Exodus. 2. NO TORCHES allowed so if you want to take your torch with you on a flight you'll have to check it through to your destination....just wrap it in a sock and put it inside one of your shoes...just so it's not just laying inside where a spot check would make it easy to confiscate. I do this when I want to bring my favorite lighter that is a torch and I bring along a small can of butane...wrap it in a sock...then inside one of my shoes and I'm all good.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    LoL nevermind, Irish beat me to it and had more info.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a dupont guy myself...but I guess for a newb or just a travel lighter that's kinda expensive. But I have an xtend for torch and a lign for soft flame. Both work like the day I got them and I'm hard on my stuff so when or if they do die I will be buying more from them
    Money can't buy taste
    Thank you everyone! I'm going shopping :). In a couple weeks I'm headed to San Fran again for work and I might go to Telfords in Marin County. Do you think I should wait and buy one there so I can handle all the different models and see what I like best? Is there a huge upcharge in cigar shops?
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Unicorn:
    Thank you everyone! I'm going shopping :). In a couple weeks I'm headed to San Fran again for work and I might go to Telfords in Marin County. Do you think I should wait and buy one there so I can handle all the different models and see what I like best? Is there a huge upcharge in cigar shops?
    Yes....there is always going to be overhead when buying a lighter in a shop...they have to tack on a higher price so they can operate their business. There are a lot of other options as far as Vendors to order lighters from...once you've decided on what kind of lighter you want then source out where you can buy one. Since you are traveling and you'll be at a B&M....try several types of lighters...they will help you but remember which one you like and then source it out. I love the Xikar Exodus...it's a soft flame that is wind resistant...not wind proof but it's a great lighter with a lifetime warranty. Sticker pricing is $50 and over but I got mine for $28 on a bidding site. PM me for more details if you'd like.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Patrickbrick was talking about a traveller CT-30 travel lighter that's a converter that takes cheap lighters you can easily pick up at your destination and not worry about flying with lighters that he saw on Halfwheel, I picked up something very similar at Home Depot for heat shrink, GB MSTR-TORCH Heat Shrink Gun. Not the greatest, but it works.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of folks who use B&M stores to take advantage of their proximity, expertise and stock so you can see what you like and then find and buy that item online to save a few bucks. Do you think that's why they are in business, to be used that way? You will pay a few extra bucks for their service and selection as it should be. That's how you can help keep them in business so they're there the next time you need something.

If you want to take advantage of the stock and personnel in a B&M and if they have what you like, buy from them. Otherwise research and shop on line and don't waste their time. IMO, shopping a B&M and then buying online is just wrong.

I speak from experience as a former owner of a retail specialty shop for 13 years.

Sorry for my rant!
    Life is good, don't waste it.
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of folks who use B&M stores to take advantage of their proximity, expertise and stock so you can see what you like and then find and buy that item online to save a few bucks. Do you think that's why they are in business, to be used that way? You will pay a few extra bucks for their service and selection as it should be. That's how you can help keep them in business so they're there the next time you need something.

If you want to take advantage of the stock and personnel in a B&M and if they have what you like, buy from them. Otherwise research and shop on line and don't waste their time. IMO, shopping a B&M and then buying online is just wrong.

I speak from experience as a former owner of a retail specialty shop for 13 years.

Sorry for my rant!

I have people calling me all the time on how to do this and that on parts and acc. they have bought online. I had a guy come in the other day and wanted me to show him how to put on a hyper charger on his bike that he bought the part online. I told him I would have to charge him and he got a bit p!ssed at me. Was it really worth saving that $10 for him. Dang Rocket, now you got me mad!
    Reading the reviews of the GB MSTR-TORCH Heat Shrink Gun reminds me how much I dislike it, I don't recommend it.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I have to ask,
    If you are traveling, why bother?
    Buy a lighter when you get there and toss it when you get ready to leave.
    Not sure I understand the fuss.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Agreed.

• Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I just went thru this when going to Hawaii in April. Didn't want to risk losing good lighters, so after listening to the great advice given here, I bought a BIC at the airport. It lit my cigars just fine.
    Post edited by Rockethead26 on
    Life is good, don't waste it.