Home Cigar 101

A little humidor help...newbie here

Khynes124Khynes124 Posts: 15
Hello All, 

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a humidor. 100 ct, desktop humi, did a wipe inside, let it sit, stabilize (I thought) and that was that. Got on here and quickly realized I needed a digital hygrometer, so I purchased on on Amazon. I calibrated by wrapping in wet cloth, setting to 98% and put it into my humidor. I'm currently reading 77% the past two days, and I would like my humidor to be running around 69-70. My B&M gave me a 73 Boveda pack and that's been in there since I seasoned ( along with my sponge of distilled water) So my questions are:

1. How can I lower my humidity and keep it around 69-70?
2. Can I trust my hygrometer? Is it accurately calibrated? Help.
3. Should I leave my cigars ( 3 cigars) in the humi? Move to ziplock with Boveda? 

Would very much appreciate any and all help getting things back on track...

-Kenny

Comments

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
     LoKhynes124 said:
    1. Lower the Boveda pack RH
    2. No recalibrate with a salt test or a Boveda calibration kit
    3. No move them to a tupperdoor until you get the humi right

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a joke? Wait, wait. Let me get the formalities out of the way.

Welcome to the forum Kenny @Khynes124

WTF? Is one of you regulars just trolling making up a list of all the wrong stuff you can think of for a newbie to post and then you're just gonna sit back and snicker as the rest of us earnestly try to help? That's mean! 
  • Khynes124Khynes124 Posts: 15
    Bob_Luken said:

WTF? Is one of you regulars just trolling making up a list of all the wrong stuff you can think of for a newbie to post and then you're just gonna sit back and snicker as the rest of us earnestly try to help? That's mean! 
    Appreciate the welcome, apologize for being new. Sorry 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the fourm!
    1. Go ahead and put your cigars in a ziplock with the Bovisa, they will be okay until you get every stablelized.
    2. You will need to recalibrate your hygrometer either with the Bovida calibration kit or the salt test, you can goggle it, there are also several threads about it here use the search.
    3. Read the threads on seasoning a humidor, there is a ton of info.
    IMO it's very difficult to get a 100 ct humi to stabilize unless it's at least 50% full, I would suggest using some air pillows or something similar to fill some of the extra space, also a humidor that size will need at least two of the large sized Bovisa to have any kind of a chance.
  • BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    Kenny, @Khynes124
    the same thing happened to me. 
    1. Leave your cigars out. 
    2. Put the digital hydrometer in the humidor 
    3. Leave your humidor lid open for about 2-3 hours
    4. Shut the lid for about 30-45 mins 
    5. Check the digital reading

repeat until you get your desired %

if you don't trust your digital reading, just Youtube, How to Calibrate digital hydrometer.  That will show you how. 

Danny B
    Khynes124 said:
    Bob_Luken said:

Appreciate the welcome, apologize for being new. Sorry 
    OK, I've checked my sources and now that I know more about you, you seem legit. LOL

Welcome to the forum. We want to help and we want you to succeed. First thing is to protect your cigars. Only three? Really? Get them into a ziploc bag. They will be OK without any humidification for a week if necessary. Do you have a local B&M cigar store that you can buy a 65% Boveda packet? (A lot of us keep gigars at 65%) If yes, buy it and put it in the ziploc with the cigars. 

OK now you can relax and slowly fix all this business with that humidor. Google salt test for hygrometer or, better yet buy a Boveda calibration kit. Either way you can find a lot of info on the Internet and youtube, and we're here to answer questions. 

I do not approve of the wipe-down method. Most guys here on this forum will agree. Take everything out and allow the humidor to stabilize. If the RH drops below desired range within a few days, you may want to start over with seasoning. If that is the case. You want to keep that distilled water soaked wet sponge sitting inside a dish so there's no contact between the sponge and the wood. Better yet two sponges would be better. Let that sit for a week and see where you are with your humidity. Also, you gotta fill up that humidor. A 100 count humi with three cigars (besides the fact that it's just so,.... sad) will not function well. Any questions so far? It's complicated, I know. And it's not science,..... It's voodoo! 
    First of all, thank you to all the quick responses and awesome help I've gotten from everyone in under an hour..A little update for all..

I have moved my 3 :/ cigars to a Tupperware container with my 75 Boveda pack in it for today. Tomorrow I will stop at my B&M and grab a 65. I also just ordered 4 65 packs from Amazon but it will be a couple days before they arrive.

I also ordered a Boveda calibration kit so I can recalibrate my hygrometer once and for all and make sure it's good to go. 

As far as the 3 cigars, I had about 10 cigars to start, smoked a few over the last two weeks. I have 32 cigars coming in on Friday. So I'll have some merchandise in there after that.

My questions are:

Do I just leave the humidor open until it drops to around 65 and then close it and leave it completely empty with just my hygrometer in there? Should my sponge with water be in there as well?

Do I keep my sponge and water in there after I get my 65 Boveda packs and place those inside the humidor? Of just let the Boveda packs take over and that's it? (Sponge is in a dish BTW)

Thanks!

Kenny

edited July 2016
    Khynes124 said:

My questions are:

Do I just leave the humidor open until it drops to around 65 and then close it and leave it completely empty with just my hygrometer in there? Should my sponge with water be in there as well?

Do I keep my sponge and water in there after I get my 65 Boveda packs and place those inside the humidor? Of just let the Boveda packs take over and that's it? (Sponge is in a dish BTW)

Thanks!

Kenny

If I was you I would get a Boveda seasoning kit 84%, leave it in there for 15 days per instructions and you are done as long as you have a humidor that seals properly. This is a no fuss and easy way to ensure you have done it correctly. Then add your 65% RH Boveda, gars etc. Simple and fool proof for beginners.

Go to the Boveda website and watch the videos which makes it even easier to follow. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your humi was seasoned properly.

Get rid of the 75 and sponge.
    Your cigars are probably drowning.

As for what you should be at for Rh, it is up to you.
    Some folks like 62-65, some like 65-68, etc.

Personally, I like 65.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume the humidor came with a green sponge for distilled water. That's trash, throw it away. Stick with boveda for now. You can put 5 boveda in there and it will be fine.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

0patience said:
    If your humi was seasoned properly.

Get rid of the 75 and sponge.
    Your cigars are probably drowning.

As for what you should be at for Rh, it is up to you.
    Some folks like 62-65, some like 65-68, etc.

Personally, I like 65.

I removed the sponge and moved the 75 to the Tupperware container for now until everything is back on track.  I have read a lot, and from what I've read, I think 65 seems really popular so I'm going to go with that to start. I just am a little confused so once I season and throw a pack in there, I no longer use the sponge thing that came with my humidor, literally just the packs and that's it?
    Yeap just packs
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

Yeap just packs
    Awesome, thank you so much! I guess I might as well just order the seasoning kit and just start it over..Why take a chance on more issues?

Thanks!

Kenny

There is no one "correct" method to your questions but, I'll give you some options

1. Everything needs to be done slowly. Has it been three weeks sinch you started seasoning? If yes, then you might get by with closing the lid and use a wait and see approach. Take everything out and close the lid. Using a calibrated hygrometer, If your RH drops steadily over a few days and drops past the point you wish to keep it at, then you should start over from scratch. But, if it holds it's current humidity and drops only a slight amount over several days then you might be close to done. 

2. No. Sponge is only for seasoning. But, if you take it out and your 65% bovedas are allowing your humidor to drop below 65%, you need to try again all over. 

Let me break it down for ya

After 14-15 days, not 7, 8, 9, 10,11,12,13 days.... 14-15 days. Then add this.

No sponge, not anything else. You really don't even need a hydrometer since it's Boveda. I would still use one though for personal security.

Then add these and enjoy. 

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

Once you are comfortable and have expanded to coolers or lets say a 10,000 count humidor you can look into cheaper methods and you will expand if you enjoy seegars. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

No sponge, not anything else. You really don't even need a hydrometer since it's Boveda. I would still use one though for personal security.

Awwww! You're takin' ALLLL the fun out of it!
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure I agree with the last step, but everthing else is sound :)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    It's a new guy. Once he catches on he can learn the cost effective ways. For now he just needs to have a simple solution. 

You can still teach him about cigar rotation, stock piling, etc. I didn't tell him everything hehehe.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The green foam pucks are mold breeders, so alot of us remove them and toss them.
    Anything above 70 Rh is inviting mold into your humidor, so that is something to consider.
    And as you add or remove cigars from your humi, you will see fluctuations in Rh, so as long as it comes back to where you want it, it shouldn't be a concern.

What area are you in?
    The relative Rh of your area may have a huge impact on your humidor too.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Once again, thanks everyone! I'm going to swing by my B&M tomorrow and grab 4 84% packs and just start over from scratch. I'll grab a 65 to throw into my Tupperware for the next two weeks to keep my cigar stash in good shape, and then I'll be on the straight and narrow, hopefully lol.

Please, go on lol tell me about rotating and stock piling! 
    Khynes124 said:
    Once again, thanks everyone! I'm going to swing by my B&M tomorrow and grab 4 84% packs and just start over from scratch. I'll grab a 65 to throw into my Tupperware for the next two weeks to keep my cigar stash in good shape, and then I'll be on the straight and narrow, hopefully lol.

Please, go on lol tell me about rotating and stock piling! 
    That would be for Mr. Luken @Bob_Luken to explain. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

0patience said:

What area are you in?

He's in New Jersey. 

0patience said:
    The green foam pucks are mold breeders, so alot of us remove them and toss them.
    Anything above 70 Rh is inviting mold into your humidor, so that is something to consider.
    And as you add or remove cigars from your humi, you will see fluctuations in Rh, so as long as it comes back to where you want it, it shouldn't be a concern.

What area are you in?

Good to know...I have removed mine and won't be using it any longer..think I would like to see how I feel about 65% to start..that's what I'm going with
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    The best step for calibrating hygrometers is put in freezer bag with any boveda pack and see what it reads
    Money can't buy taste
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    0patience said:

What area are you in?

He's in New Jersey. 

Ok if your in NJ then you've got really high humidity! I'm a pa guy so I know...summer is tough to get RH down and winter hard to get RH up! If you want to run a humi id go 62-65 bovedas since your trying to keep things drier in high humidity. Now in the winter go 69 bovedas and you'll be ok. For a 100ct humi I would put at least two on top two on bottom
    Money can't buy taste
    Bob_Luken said:
    0patience said:

What area are you in?

He's in New Jersey. 

Ok if your in NJ then you've got really high humidity! I'm a pa guy so I know...summer is tough to get RH down and winter hard to get RH up! If you want to run a humi id go 62-65 bovedas since your trying to keep things drier in high humidity. Now in the winter go 69 bovedas and you'll be ok. For a 100ct humi I would put at least two on top two on bottom
    You would say I definitely need 4 Boveda packs in there right? I know that's what I keep reading, just wanted to make sure it definitely is needed..

how is often am I changing these things?
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amount will depend on location and humidity level in your home.  Never replace them, simply recharge them when they start to get crunchy and not like the original pillow.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.