Home Non Cigar Related

Messier Marathon

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

Any amateur astronomers try this? If so how did you do? My cousin and I are going to take this on and see if we can do the whole thing! :)

For those of you not familiar with this.... Messier was an astronomer in history who located and documented astronomical sights. It totals 110 separate deep space views ranging from galaxies to nebulas to star clusters. The marathon consists of spotting and documenting all of them in one night.

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking something completely different.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, that's definitely messier.....   :p
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I've seen one or two on the same night during astronomy events that I've attended with the family in the past.  Sounds like quite a challenge.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I still have to get a telescope capable of spotting them all.... which wont be too long down the road. but its an undertaking that normally takes from sundown to sunup over a full nights stretch. Im mostly concerned about my location for it. Being up around the 45th northern degree.... it could make it more difficult. its suggested that closer to the 25th northern degree is most optimal.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the perfect excuse for a trip to Cuba.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Dude.... imagine trying to travel with a 5 foot tall telescope... I would have to buy a seat ticket for it! ;)
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also was thinking something else 
    Non Crux sed lux