Home General Discussion

Turning over your cigars?

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm fairly good about rotating my sticks, though not like I should. But for some reason I just don't or can't turn my sticks. Even though I know I should I just like having my bands pointed up. Anybody else have this problem?

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do the same thing Ricky, it's the OCD that's gotta have em looking a certain way when I open the wineador and cooler. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea I have heard that, just burn through them to where they dont have time to age
    A little dirt never hurt
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm bad enough that I organize everything by brand, label, similarity of bands etc... its a disease but one I aint looking to cure haha

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    damn Peter, you have scattered your beans, you would have 300 cigars a day with labels facing up
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    I too rotate my sticks; I give each cigar a 1/36th turn each day, and when the bands are facing up I know that those are the ones that are ready to smoke.
    You stole my joke? I can't believe you man! 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have racking machines for wineries to turn the bottles, why not cigars?  :D
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the purpose of turning them is?
    So I guess my answer is never?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    I imagine the Cigars in my coolidor get turned enough, but the sticks in my aging humidor probably don't . They just get tagged, logged in to the database and sit peacefully until my aging report tells me it's been long enough, they need to be smoked or shared. 
    I have a pretty casual approach to it all.  :|
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told by the forum to only turn them on a full moon.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now what is the point of turning them. Is someone claiming that the tobacco settles to one side?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miller

You inadvertently clipped off the top two and bottom six lines of your jucular equation, thus making it very difficult to read. Please re-post, as I expect the last six lines include a hilarious punch line; because, you know, math jokes are always so hilarious.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    I too rotate my sticks; I give each cigar a 1/36th turn each day, and when the bands are facing up I know that those are the ones that are ready to smoke.
    What?  Only a 36th?  Why, you piker, you. Next, I suppose you'll tell us that you rotate them in a clockwise direction when we all know they should be rotated in a counterclockwise direction. 

What're you?  Some kind of maverick??   :p
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    peter4jc said:
    What?  Only a 36th?  Why, you piker, you. Next, I suppose you'll tell us that you rotate them in a clockwise direction when we all know they should be rotated in a counterclockwise direction. 

What're you?  Some kind of maverick??   :p
    No it just works for me, that's all.  It just happens that of the 85 cigars that have their bands up every 36 days, a 1/4 of those have to make 10 full cycles before they get smoked, the next fourth of them have to make 20 full rotations, and so on.  That's how I know when they're ready and how old each stick is.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^ Houston we have a problem. 

Maybe you need to switch to Decaf.. :)
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Decaf for this guy... stains your teeth for nuthin'.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you rotated them 1/360th each time then you wouldn't need to wait 10 cycles. Only one. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your indecision method is interesting. I am gonna go and look for a cigar now. See ya on Wednesday. 
    While yer gone, mind if I borrow your avatar?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    Your indecision method is interesting. I am gonna go and look for a cigar now. See ya on Wednesday. 
    While yer gone, mind if I borrow your avatar?

Feel free. She is a Seegar Goddess. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Now what is the point of turning them. Is someone claiming that the tobacco settles to one side?
    I've read that turning them helps to distribute the moisture in them more evenly. Supposedly helps for a more even burn. 
    So is there a proper technique to gently shake or roll an unopened box to allow proper humidification to all sides of the contained cigars
    A little dirt never hurt