Home Non Cigar Related

Bike guys, your thoughts?

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thinking of trading my Electra-Glide for a BMW 1200RT.  It's a very different machine, I've been on Harleys for the last 29 years, but the RT is calling to me. 

Anyone made this kind of radical change in their riding styles?  Or, just your thoughts in general would be appreciated.
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't do it.. BMW makes a great bike however nothing feels or sounds like a Harley. 
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bmw is a great bike but I am a little partial to Honda. Like you said, totally change of rides. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen these BMW setup for off road desert use that made me drool a little bit, for highway use I would keep the Harley
    A little dirt never hurt
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do it. It is a good thing to change riding styles. Beemeristas who fall in love with their RTs think nothing of piling 100k or 150k on them. Just runs real sweet, right about a hunnerd K. Nothing feels or sounds like a hog; but then, nothing feels or sounds like beemer boxer, either; so that's a silly argument right there. Go find some twisties with that RT and ride circles round that Harley not even trying. 

But don't trade in. That's asking to get skinned. Sell it yourself.

Or, keep it, put 20k on the RT, then decide which to ditch. My theory is, you gotta have two or three bikes at any one time, cause you don't every day want to ride the same style. Weather turns dirty or going camping, I take the KLR. Fine days or long solo trips, I take the Indian. Old lady wants to go to a B&B in Maine, I take the big beemer bagger. 

If you buy new, by the way, you must beat on it during break in. Beemer cylinder liners are so freaking hard that you keep on discovering more power for about the first 16 or 20 k miles. Seriously. Takes forever to break them in and get them loose. So ride it hard to break it in right.

I say this despite the fact the RT does not fit me at all. I don't like tupperware and I bonk my knees on the RT. So it's not for me. I'd be more of an R1200R guy. Naked version, and more stylish. I like my bikes the way I like my women: nekkid. Give that R12R module a look, and see if you agree. More legroom, faster, and lighter.

Brakes and suspension on beemers are a revelation. Nothing else even close. Wrap that beemer up, grab yourself a ton, clamp on the brakes, stop on a dime and get eight and a half cents change. Steady as a rock. You never in your dreams imagined a bike could do that. Fear no deer. With that telelever front end, you don't even dive. I don't mean the front forks are stiff; I mean that it is physically impossible by design to make the front end dive at all. Whole nother world. Beemer roadability is the truth incarnate.

The flip side is, they tend to over-engineer their schidt something fierce. So expect some quirky niggling stuff in every new version of every new model.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a quick test ride, you're spot on about the suspension.  Hmm....
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I can't help with those big bikes but if you have things in order, get the bike you want. Life's too short my friend. 
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really well said @webmost, I agree and think Amos should get the one that makes him smile most. Changing styles is good and just builds your skills as a motorcyclist which is always a good thing. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for the input, guys, especially you @Webmost, I was hoping you'd respond. 

I, too, love the Harley sound, as long as it's quiet.  Went through 4 exhaust systems on my first Harley, fell in love with the SuperTrapp tunable exhaust.  Everyone said "yours is so quiet", yep, just a whisper at 60mph.

but it's been my only road music for almost 30 years, life is short, and I am not getting any younger.  One close friend said "At our age you need to be looking for a more comfortable rocking chair, dude."  Guess I'm just not wired that way.

Bought the E-Glide looking for smoothness and long distance reliability.  The guy at the BMW place called it "high mileage" because I've got 40K on it.  I thought it was just getting broke in, I'm ashamed of the low mileage on a 10yr old bike.  Had some hardware installed in myself during that period, as well as a shoulder rebuild, limited my riding time.  The thing is, it can't move like my Super Glide did, no matter what, and I thought the Super Glide was a little slow and clumsy, although comfortable and reliable.  I used to take it apart every winter, clean every nut and bolt, and sometimes repaint the whole thing a new color.  A little engine work and it would jump up and run pretty quickly.  Nothing like this Beemer did the other day, though.

I had some nit-picking concerning the RT, but a quick review of the BMW owners forum showed that I wasn't alone, and solutions are plentiful.  I upgraded the Harley suspension this year, Progressive shocks etc., but even at its best Harley suspension is straight out of the Flintstone era. 

Sounds like I'm talking myself into it.  :o

Meet you at the Blue Ridge Parkway motorcycle campground. I'll bring the Uppowoc Perfectos.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Rode to Nashville yesterday and did it.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good for you, enjoy
    A little dirt never hurt
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope you post some pics when you have time, Steve.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:
    Hope you post some pics when you have time, Steve.
    I need to.  I've only ever done one or two picture posts.  I got really discouraged with computer photography a couple years ago, lost > 400 pics because they were only on the computer.  I know I know, get over it, but all these things are changing so fast I thought "give it awhile", then I think "as soon as things slow down" etc.  Well, it's been awhile, and nothing slows down.  Hopefully I will coagulate my fecal material soon.

A huge congrats Amos what an exciting time and hope you enjoy the hell outta it!!! Keep the rubber side down my friend and enjoy the ride!!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    What's the year and color?

"Platinum Bronze" (looks silver) 2016

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Wow, what a beautiful bike. Congratulations!!
    that is it, + a tour-pack / top box.  Lovely!

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, I'm jealous! 
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I rode a motorcycle!  Very cool.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    I wish I rode a motorcycle!
    So stop bidgin and get yerself one. You can pick up a fine rice burner off Craigslist under two grand, and save that much in gas alone by this time next year. And if you don't like it you can sell that rice rocket for what you paid for it.

Woke up 0330 with leg cramps, new muscles used for new riding position.  suffering for my passion. ;)

edited August 2016
    LOL its terrible thing having to suffer the consequences aint it Amos :p Glad you are riding enough to have that happen in the first place, have fun and stay safe brother! This is my vintage ride, 1985 air cooled inline 4 738cc GPz750 Kawi

Brett
    Brett that is indeed a fine looking piece of vintage machine!  I remember those well.

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    So stop bidgin and get yerself one. You can pick up a fine rice burner off Craigslist under two grand, and save that much in gas alone by this time next year. And if you don't like it you can sell that rice rocket for what you paid for it.

Yeah yeah... maybe sometime. My wife would crap her pants, lol. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    I look back over my 40+ years of riding, sometime sure passes quickly.

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the new bike. Very nice.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. Now that I can afford one, too, I wish I was 50 years younger....
    webmost said:

Yeah yeah... maybe sometime. My wife would crap her pants, lol. 

If she ain't scared for you, you ain't livin right.