Home General Discussion

Band On? Band Off?

As still a Newbie (3 months), I'm noticing there are some guys on the golf course and cigar shop smoke room, who take off the band before lighting. I'm not sure why as it can only be a personal preference. Are they trying to keep their stick a secret due to cost, whether hi or low? Personally I like the band on. It's like a reference for wear to hold and how much smokin' I got left. So far I've had the pleasure to remove every band as I'm getting close to passing it towards the nub! That may change in the far off future, but I don't think so. To me, a cigar without its band just looks naked.

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In mixed company it is considered good etiquette to remove the band. Although I've never been offended by anyone smoking something I don't have, there you go...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I always heard it was "proper" so that no one thinks you are "smoking the brand" and flashing your expensive cigar around.  However, I rarely see this in practice and find it hard to think of this as a good reason to remove the band.

I always leave it on until the burn is close to the band. Sometimes removing a tricky band is easier once the heat gets to it and you can avoid damaging the cigar. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I really do not smoke a lot of cigars when I'm with folks I do not know,so it's never been an issue. But I do understand the idea behind it. 

@mikewal here's a good link: http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/562842/almost-all-inclusive-guide-to-cigar-etiquette-kuzi-style/p1
  • MikeWalMikeWal Posts: 6
    Really, band off for etiquette? I read the link above and I guess it makes some sense but I wouldn't judge a man whether smoking a real Cuban or a White Owl. I also read in the link that it's good etiquette to purchase a cigar right then from the Smoke Shop when using their private room. This seems to be a no-brainer. It's just another way to smoke your favorite, or sample a new smoke they recommend. Saturday afternoon I requested my first Davidoff for the room. I didn't remove the label on my $22 smoke until it was close to burning. I left it crumpled in the ashtray before I dumped it. I hang, golf, fish, play cards, etc w every class of people. I have never thought of not wearing my watch in front of anyone regardless of economic class or where I was. I just don't think anyone except a Mugger would care. So I guess I won't remove my cigar band either. But I do thank u all for explaining the reason it's done!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Lol band on!! It was IMO made to keep the tar off your fingers. Honestly those who take them off in my experience usually smoke crappy cigars. No I don't take it off to show off but if it's there it's there for a reason. Plus who really cares? I don't care if it's crap your smoking...your the one smoking it! I don't care if it was expensive you paid for it lol. Don't thing too much just enjoy and don't read too much into things. 
    Money can't buy taste
    To be honest I think I would be more shocked if someone were offended by my not removing the band than I would be by someone waving around an Opus X. But like I said most of my smoking is done on the deck or with buddies.  
  • MikeWalMikeWal Posts: 6
    FYI...had to look up Opus X. That's surely an expensive cigar! If u can afford to smoke one on the Veranda 'at the club', after 18, with a cocktail in your other hand, then by all means leave that band on! I play county courses, but once in a while a business friend will treat me to CC golf. Next time I get the invite I will buy 3 of these for the 19th Hole. (One extra for him to smoke later). I just hope I can tell I'm smoking something special.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always take the band off always have, doesn't matter if it's a $30 Padron or a $6 AJ, nor does it have anything to do with etiquette I I simply don't like the feel of the band. I can't say that I've ever gotten tar on my fingers, of course I haven't worn my white gloves lately either.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here, Nathan...  I like the feel of the wrapper, and the band just interferes with that.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost always take off the band, mostly so I don't forget later and start smoking the band! Done that several times!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the band slides easily, I take it off.  If it doesn't, I wait until it's close so as not to pull off part of the wrapper.  I don't want to see tobacco coming off with it.  I don't obsess about it, though, and sometimes I'll suddenly realize I'm down to the band.  Especially once @Stubble has sent you a Nubber, reaching the band is NOT the end of the smoke, so, eventually it always comes off.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I agree with Patrick and Gray. I leave it on for practical reasons. I don't have a local b&m but if I did I wouldn't care about the band being left on. I wouldn't be offended by someone parking their vehicle that is worth tens of thousands of dollars more, next to my 2006 Chrysler, so they shouldn't be offended by my cigar that may have cost four dollars more than theirs. People just try to find things to be offended by these days. 
    Post edited by CharlieHeis on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Usually I leave it on until its close to the band so it's easier to remove. If I feel a need to cover it, I use my hand to cover the band instead. 

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skydiverD said:
    I do the exact opposite of whatever proper etiquette is for the given situation.  Cuz I'm a prlck.  :D

Let's see how many agree's I can get with this post....could set a new record!
    Nearly spit out my coffee laughed so hard, love it Dayrun I agree and do the same... cuz I am an a$$ :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    SInce I'm always alone when smoking, I generally leave the band on. For one thing, I'm so scatter brained it reminds me which end to light once I've made a cut (sometimes it's hard to tell). And since I rarely have enough time to actually finish a stogie the band acts as a kind of a "timer" letting me know how much of has burned. Get to the band, time to stop. 
     No I don't take it off to show off but if it's there it's there for a reason. 
    You know, I remember seeing a video once where Nick Perdomo said the band was part of the cigars construction and removing it too early was operator error. I will have to try and find it. I might be misremembering too lol that happens (too much)
    lol

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot said:
    I generally leave the band on. For one thing, I'm so scatter brained it reminds me which end to light once I've made a cut (sometimes it's hard to tell). 
    I know, right?  I've had trouble with the MOW Skull Crushers deciding which end to light, since it has a closed foot and the band orientation is the only clue.

Sometimes, like if you're smoking that Gurkha that's been lounging in your humidor since you just started smoking, the band is the only thing keeping the wrapper from totally self-destructing.  I've actually slid the band towards the foot in those situations to forestall the inevitable.

I also hate it when I try and remove the band it it's glued to the wrapper, I'd rather wait until the heat of the cigar has loosened the glue than tear the wrapper. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood the idea that someone would be offended that I left the band on my cigar. I love it when someone is smoking an expensive cigar in front of me. I get to ask them about it - do they like it?, what does it remind them of?, etc. 

That way I don't have to blow a bunch of money on a cigar I probably won't enjoy anyway 
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep a cigar log so keep the band. If it is a regular smoke I remove it when it comes loose. Each new cigar I try gets a rating written on the band then notes added as I put it in the log.  Since I have begun I chuckle when I read what I wrote the first time smoking a cigar that I thought was too harsh or strong to now rate it much higher and now use words like rich aged tobacco flavor instead.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Bob_Luken said:
    Gentleman Bob_Luken said:
    Just because you don't understand proper etiquette, shall not give you reason to tell yourself you're good as someone who does. You're not. You're an ignorant slob.   
    Oh, and before any one of you becomes offended, I did not direct that comment at anyone in particular. Just most of you. 
    First time I ever saw someone quote their own self. Narcissist much, Bob?  :p
     :D The only thing I took offense at was you calling us gentlemen. I stil drag my knuckles and carry a club. :D
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    raisindot said:
    I generally leave the band on. For one thing, I'm so scatter brained it reminds me which end to light once I've made a cut (sometimes it's hard to tell). 

Sometimes, like if you're smoking that Gurkha that's been lounging in your humidor since you just started smoking, the band is the only thing keeping the wrapper from totally self-destructing.  I've actually slid the band towards the foot in those situations to forestall the inevitable.

This is a good point. Sometimes even non-gurks will split a wrapper and the band can hold it together until the burn catches up.  I've done this quite a few times. 

However,  this is almost guaranteed with a gurkha.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I don't often smoke a cigar with its band on. But when I do, its a Gurka!
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    The truck show cigars have a band made of tabacco that are smokeable don't think your supposed to remove. Riddle me that one Mr. Etiquette