Home General Discussion

Quest for a cheap cigar ash tray

raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in General Discussion
Rather "enlightening" (arf arf) experience when I was trying to find a store that sold cheap cigar ash trays. Wanted to buy from a store to avoid shipping costs and the only cigar B&M within a 10-mile radius didn't have any for under $20. 

Not expecting a lot of luck, I visited our local Michael's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Walmart, Pier 1, Target, Crate and Barrel, Kohl's and Xmas Tree Shop. Not one of them carried ash trays. Even more "illuminating" was the response I got from the clerks when I asked: They all reacted as if I were asking if they carried S&M mouth ball gags or leather whips. It was kind of embarrassing. Such is the stigma surrounding smoking, at least up here. 

Comments

• TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    are you looking for a specific type of ashtray?  i have plenty of them just laying around and you are more than welcome to one of them.  Also, you can call CCOM and ask andy what they have
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a clay sauce tray and dump it into an old beer bucket...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    I use a clay sauce tray and dump it into an old beer bucket...
    Someone get this man an ashtray!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Why? My way works just fine ;)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    @90+_Irishman, I think you're right. Antique and thrift shops are the way to go. That's one thing we got plenty of here in NE. 

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ya gotta love all the liberal lefties out there on the east coast.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite is a brass flower pot with a copper wire hanging on the rim that I use for a cigar rest. Works like a stinky Jr but halfway between a stinky Jr and a Stinky tall in size. Nice and deep. Ashes don't go flying out every time the wind blows.

And, why do you need an ashtray? @raisindot I thought you only smoked on dog walking duty. 

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Don't forget garage sales or, er, uh, "Estate" sales, (harrumph)...picked up a nice 2-stick Nub ashtray for $.25 that way....
    jgibv said:
    Alas, 'strue. We can be very pretentious, judgmental and mean-spirited. If you need proof, just drive into any Starbucks parking lot up here. You've never seen such selfish space-hogging, blind-backing, speeding, double parking, line crossing behavior in your life.   
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I check second hand stores for ash trays. Good luck in your quest. 
    edited August 2016
    Bob_Luken said:

And, why do you need an ashtray? @raisindot I thought you only smoked on dog walking duty. 

Well, @Bob_Luken,  now that hummingbird watching season is here I've commenced to occasionally sit on the veranda puffing away and sipping a nice bourbon whilst observing the little buggers--but end up flicking the ashes on the flowerbed. Gotta become more civilized. 
    Trident said:
    are you looking for a specific type of ashtray?  i have plenty of them just laying around and you are more than welcome to one of them.  Also, you can call CCOM and ask andy what they have
    There is a Room 101 ashtray for $19.99 today on Daily Deal even....
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean that candy bowl?  How can they call that a 4 finger ashtray, I can't find the fingers.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trident said:
    I have a small single stick ashtray. I could use something a bit bigger if you have an extra one. I would pay shipping or trade sticks if you want.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot said:
    jgibv said:
    Alas, 'strue. We can be very pretentious, judgmental and mean-spirited. If you need proof, just drive into any Starbucks parking lot up here. You've never seen such selfish space-hogging, blind-backing, speeding, double parking, line crossing behavior in your life.   
    don't get me wrong, we have those kind of folks here in the midwest too..... 
    but y'all seem to have a higher percentage of them out on the coast.

we usually spend a week in rhode island each summer and i know exactly what you're saying.  great place to visit but i could never live there......too many people with a "god complex" out that way. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can score some really good deals on ash trays on the devil site.  o:)
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    Yakster said:
    You mean that candy bowl?  How can they call that a 4 finger ashtray, I can't find the fingers.
    I agree entirely that you cant rest a cigar without the ash digging in and that its not the best design, but if all you are trying to do is have a place to drop ashes in then it does that purpose at the very minimum. Not something I would normally call an ashtray though, of that you and I are in agreement. But ticking the box of what the original poster wanted, seems it would at least work.

Brett
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Platter from Goodwill, $.49.
    Cigar rest-homemade. PM me your addy and I'll send you one.

Dave
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
    raisindot said:
    Bob_Luken said:

Well, @Bob_Luken,  now that hummingbird watching season is here I've commenced to occasionally sit on the veranda puffing away and sipping a nice bourbon whilst observing the little buggers--but end up flicking the ashes on the flowerbed. Gotta become more civilized. 
    Ash is rich in nitrogen or sumthin' ain't it? Good for the plants = good for the birds = good good.
  • NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    I use a $2 flower pot I got at the flea market. Although thing I really want is one of those stone cigar holders I have seen a few of the guys posting I have searched the internet for one of those. if anyone knows where I can buy one please let me know
    Das stogie stand.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Yer right. I have one of those. There's no grooves in it.

I scored four primo trays at the local second hand thrift store for like five bucks.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like others mentioned, I've had the best luck at yardsales, flea markets, antique stores... fun story: when I bought one at a flea market, a lady beside me was also looking at them. She made a comment like "oh that's nice to set on a shelf." I casually told her I was going to use it. She recoiled in horror and gave me the worst look. You would think I strangled a kitten before her eyes.

I love being judged at a West Virginia flea market. 

I know you wanted to avoid shipping, but I'd check clearance sections on ccom or other sites. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    Amazon has some under 20 with the shipping included. 
    edited August 2016
    Check these out on ebay ----- > Vintage Frankoma #458 Ashtray

I stumbled across this one at a junk store a few years ago. I ended up buying a couple more on ebay. There are two slight variations of this same model. The rests of both variations can handle a cigar. Some of these ashtrays are promotional and some are plain. 

edited August 2016
    Haha. I just found my original post from 3 years ago when I first got this ashtray.
    (page 511 of the "What did you get today" thread.) 

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/comment/673294#Comment_673294S

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bob_Luken how long did you have to search to find that post?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Bob_Luken said:
    Check these out on ebay ----- > Vintage Frankoma #458 Ashtray

I stumbled across this one at a junk store a few years ago. I ended up buying a couple more on ebay. There are two slight variations of this same model. The rests of both variations can handle a cigar. Some of these ashtrays are promotional and some are plain. 

Those are cool...a sewer company ash tray.  Its even the same color I would imagine. When it gets full...

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America