Home Non Cigar Related

Bike guys, your thoughts?

2»

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and it has rained EVERY DAY since :s
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raingear and go bro
    A little dirt never hurt
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, rain doesn't melt you. Specially on a hot day. Made by God, out of distilled water, for your personal refreshment.

When I was a lad, I remember, Dad used to crank down the window and stick his arm out to make a turn signal rain snow or sleet. Cars didn't have lit turn signals; so it wasn't an issue, that's how you did it. First car we had with signals, it was an arrow shaped paddle, lifted up out of a slot in the door post, pulled by a sash cord that ran over pulleys and snaked over the headliner from a lever on the steering column. When Dad was a lad, even cranking the window down wasn't an issue, cause Grandpa's flivver didn't have windows -- made like a horse buggy. When Grandpa was a lad, tho, signals weren't an issue, cause there were no cars. From that time all the way back, every morning, each man on earth hitched up his tent flap and stuck his beard in the wind, and whatever he sniffed there that was his day. And that's the way it was, man before man, all the way back to the first monkey who jumped down out of his tree. Every day, a snootful of weather, breath of the universe, season after season.

Now, all of a sudden, in a matter of three generations, weather has become the red headed step child of conversation. It's too hot, it's too windy, it's too wet, it's too... it's life threatening! You can't even get cold any more without whippin out the Latin and **** yer five syllable hypothermia cause it sounds dire. Creepin around with our shoulders hunched up, squinting at our feet in the rain like a buncha girls just permed our hair. Can't even get hot any more we gotta have a heat index cause it sounds worse.

Just rain. What life's all about. Enjoy it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

funny chit, so true though
    A little dirt never hurt
    You guys are a riot!

I have managed to put 350 miles on, in the rain, this last week.  I can still wish for better weather, no?  Finally got a few miles on dry pavement yesterday.

I have ridden in every weather, literally every kind of weather.  Pouring rain, snow, sleet, ice, hail, (with a tornado in my rear-views) 114F scorching heat, I'd have thought y'all would know me well enough by now...
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Me, I'm just trying to figure out what got censored by forum software in this sentence: "You can't even get cold any more without whippin out the Latin and **** yer five syllable hypothermia cause it sounds dire." Zero clue what word that mighta been before it got asterisked. Any ideas?

That, and who felt they had to hit the disagree icon beneath my jocular but entirely truthful observations. I didn't make nothing up. Dad did really roll down the window for turn signals. I know, cause I was in the back seat getting rained on. Grandpa really did have a windowless flivver. Granny showed me a picture of it. She said he took her "sparking" up to Peaks of Otter. Shoulda seen the spark in her eye when she said that. Weather really is the redheaded step-child of conversation.

I think weather's reputation took a big hit when Kennedy appeared for his inauguration without a hat. Up to then, men wore hats cause they lived outside where they could expect to get rained on. Now it's gotten to where they wear hats backwards cause they forgot what hats are for.

Yesterday started out 99% humidity. But the good news is, at the end of the day it rained like all get out. Frog strangler on the way back from handball. Kinda rain you could hardly see thru. So now we're down to 87% humidibbiditty. I'm trying to dry out some fresh-rolled Uppowoc Perfectos. ... yeah, that ain't happening.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

I wondered about those asterisks, too.  ???  Stained some baseboards the other day, still weren't completely dry by last night, humidity.  I liked the story, didn't hit disagree, although when I told my wife I felt I was being poked fun at for not riding in the rain her response was "These guys don't know you at all, do they?" :)

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you've gotten out Amos, good to see how the new girl behaves in the rain plus if you are dressed for it then it ain't too bad :) 

Hope it dries out soon for ya and you can get some good weather riding in brother!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyment from that ride no matter the weather. Sounds like you are off to a good start
    A little dirt never hurt
    It's an interesting ride.  The Rain mode softens throttle response, lowers HP, and increases sensitivity to the ABS.  Also changes the dampening to soft.  I'm finding these features also handy in gravel. 

Also, I'm used to Harley, grab some throttle and let the torque do the work.  This bike is twitchy, for me, at first, but I'm getting there.  The acceleration is a pure rush! 

Harley's turn signals are better, I think, more comfortable seating position, (I'm working on that) and I've lost some luggage space.  hate that.  Other than that, it's one helluba ride!

• MoleRatMoleRat Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations. Now that I can afford one, too, I wish I was 50 years younger....
    You don't stop riding because you're old, you get old because you stopped riding!
     The acceleration is a pure rush! 

Yeah, innat sumpn? HD 103s are half again bigger than that beemer, but that beemer pumps out half again more horsepower. All you have to do is spin it. That's the hard part, for guys who've spent their lives on American iron, is learning to spin up the engine.  

Did you get the ESA? Like it?

webmost said:

Did you get the ESA? Like it?

Yes, and YES! Amazing!

The more I ride this bike, the more I like it.  I feel as if I've gone from a B-17 Bomber to an F-14 fighter jet.  As to the ESA (electronic suspension adjustment), toggle a couple switches and change the settings, 1 rider, 1 + luggage, 2 riders, in a second.  And, it works!

I need to put more miles on, I've been moving from highways to more technical roads, lots of twists and hills.  Easily found in most parts of TN.  The thing is "flow".  I've got 30 years of Harley muscle memory built into my riding style.  I've been slow in the curves etc. while I learn the feel of this bike.  It's all coming together, starting to feel natural.

The trade was right, and probably overdue.

Beginning to see why metric riders mock HD?

https://youtu.be/-cM9S2AzU28

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So glad to hear you are getting such enjoyment out of the new ride Amos, learning a new bike and riding style can be difficult but is very rewarding! Congrats and keep the updates coming!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Maybe the coolest thing of all has been being able to see tire pressure while riding.  I get a little obsessive about tires.  If you were a rider in the early 70's, as I was, you'll remember when rain meant the road surface turned into whale snot as you shimmied down the road, your front wheel tracking every groove, and a vague sensation of floating sideways in turns.  Todays tires are magnificent by comparison.

If you were a rider in the early 70's, as I was, you'll remember when rain meant the road surface turned into whale snot as you shimmied down the road, your front wheel tracking every groove, and a vague sensation of floating sideways in turns.  Todays tires are magnificent by comparison.

Boy ain't that the truth.

Last weeks lesson was:

Don't think you can outsmart the German engineers.

Took the wife for a ride, all the bumps are too hard.  Hmm.  Well, instead of setting the ESA for 2 riders, how about we try 1 rider and luggage?  After all, she only weighs 100 lbs, that should be cushy.

NO

Pogo'ed down the road a few miles and went back to 2 rider setting, soft.  It was a windy day, and durned if after 10 or so miles I didn't switch back to 2 riders, normal.
    Worked wonders.

I need a new seat for us, though, as she shifts around way too much with her narrow butt on that wide seat.  I'm looking at Russell Day Long seats.  Anyone had any experience with them?

• NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    This is mine!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
    beautiful!

• NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭

"There is no such thing as bad riding weather, just bad riding gear!"

Went to a riding workshop and learned this info. The curve sign can be used to inform you on how to approach the curve. Usually below the curve sign is an indicated speed to approach. Lets say 25 mph. is recommended, the first number indicates second gear should be used, and 50 +/- 10% speed. So 45 to 55 mph to negotiate the turn. This will take a little practice to get in the grove and trust your skills. This was the most revolutionary thing I learned at that workshop.

I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Bat-mastersonBat-masterson Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    I'm   a BMW guy, been from Florida  to Alaska  and back 3 times in my life. 3 different  bmws, 1150GS, 1100RT, and a 1150RTP I picked up off of Tallahassee  police dept.
    Can't  imagine  doing it on a Harley.
    And all these rides done with a lumbar fusion with 4 screws in my back.