Home Non Cigar Related

When you run out of Jack Daniels...

CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
You turn it into a Hookah.image

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool.  In TN we just step up to George Dickel.
    Exactly.

The thread should've been titled 'what to do with empty Jack Daniels bottle' since we don't actually run out.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol nice, normally when I run out I simply buy more of it or reach for a different bottle but I guess this works too lol. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    When you run out of Jack Daniels that's really not a bad thing. Consider yourself fortunate.

I've had a one-man boycott against JD for a number of years, now, and, as a result, i've learned that there are a heckuva bunch of other bourbons out there that are as good as/better than JD. 

Life goes on....  B)
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree Marty
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Once upon a time there was a JD distillery in Reston VA. Unfortunately it was decommissioned and sold for huge dollars during the .com days. It was a beautiful old antique historical building I remember passing by in the 1970's. I am a huge fan of their all encompassing flavorful liquid mash that for some reason is irreplaceable or unacceptably substituted by another. It just hits every flavor profile my taste buds are needing. Period!      
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    When you run out of Jack Daniels that's really not a bad thing. Consider yourself fortunate.

I've had a one-man boycott against JD for a number of years, now, and, as a result, i've learned that there are a heckuva bunch of other bourbons out there that are as good as/better than JD. 

Life goes on....  B)
    Any bourbon is better than JD since JD is not a bourbon... Just sayin.
    I agree. It's made in the wrong state to be bourbon. 

I dont have any argument about its taste. I like it. It's the first sipping whiskey I ever really got into. And back in the day when JD had both a black label and a green label, one of them (and I'm d@mned if I can remember which one) had a distinct flavor of anise to it. I really liked that one. 

i think it was the green label. Anyway, ya don't see much of the green labelled one around any more. 

jlmarta said:

I dont have any argument about its taste. I like it. It's the first sipping whiskey I ever really got into. And back in the day when JD had both a black label and a green label, one of them (and I'm d@mned if I can remember which one) had a distinct flavor of anise to it. I really liked that one. 

i think it was the green label. Anyway, ya don't see much of the green labelled one around any more. 

Actually, being made in Kentucky has nothing to do with being called bourbon.
    In order to be bourbon, a few rules mist be followed.
    The mash bill must contain 51% corn.
    The white dog must be aged in New, charred white oak barrels (Most are made at Independent Stave Company).
    It must be aged a minimum of 3 years to be called New Bourbon.
    It can't have any added flavors after coming out of the barrel. Jack Daniels filters their whiskey through charcoal which adds flavors that are not given during the aging process. 
    Bourbon is made all over the US and even the world.
    95% is made in Kentucky because of the limestone filtered/enriched water and the seasons. They have really hot summers and cold winters which is perfect for aging bourbon.

Yeah, I love bourbon.
    edited August 2016
    MikeTodd said:
    jlmarta said:

The white dog must be aged in New, charred white oak barrels (Most are made at Independent Stave Company).
    It can't have any added flavors after coming out of the barrel. Jack Daniels filters their whiskey through charcoal which adds flavors that are not given during the aging process. 
    95% is made in Kentucky because of the limestone filtered/enriched water and the seasons. They have really hot summers and cold winters which is perfect for aging bourbon.

Yeah, I love bourbon.
    Being a bourbon nerd this nearly brought a tear to my eye, and I don't mind labeling myself a bourbon freak since I love it so much! :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Thanks for that, @MikeTodd, I've learned something new today. Actually, a couple things. I had no idea there was a white dog involved in the process.....   :p
    LoL. Smart@$$. White dog = distillate = moonshine. 
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    MikeTodd said:

Yeah, I love bourbon.
    Being a bourbon nerd this nearly brought a tear to my eye, and I don't mind labeling myself a bourbon freak since I love it so much! :)
    +1 to both of these. Now admit it, @90+_Irishman, as a fellow bourbon nerd you were, like me,  scrutinizing everything @MikeTood wrote to see if he made an error in his bourbon definition. :D

Which he didn't.  Except that I've read that most bourbon is charcoal filtered in one way or another to remove impurities that cause cloudiness, but somehow that doesn't "legally" violate the "added flavor" requirement.
    If anything charcoal filtering is a removal device so that would remove things not add it in, its basically the difference between filtered and unfiltered beer.... changes the flavor but not through adding things but rather by removing things. I don't mind charcoal filtering but I don't go out of my way to get it either, I prefer my bourbon uncut, unfiltered and barrel proof but that is just me.

Brett
    edited August 2016
    raisindot said:
    MikeTodd said:

Yeah, I love bourbon.
    +1 to both of these. Now admit it, @90+_Irishman, as a fellow bourbon nerd you were, like me,  scrutinizing everything @MikeTood wrote to see if he made an error in his bourbon definition. :D

Which he didn't.  Except that I've read that most bourbon is charcoal filtered in one way or another to remove impurities that cause cloudiness, but somehow that doesn't "legally" violate the "added flavor" requirement.
    Most distillaries (from what I have see) use micro filters without charcoal for filtration. However, these are soaked in the bourbon that it will be filtering so as not to add or take away flavor.
    Fun Fact!!
    MikeTodd said:
    raisindot said:
    MikeTodd said:

Yeah, I love bourbon.

Most distillaries (from what I have see) use micro filters without charcoal for filtration. However, these are soaked in the bourbon that it will be filtering so as not to add or take away flavor.
    Fun Fact!!
    Very cool had not heard of that before, love learning new facts on bourbon thanks Mike!

Brett
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take bourbon, pour it in a glass and drink it.  That is my fun fact of the day.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I take bourbon, pour it in a glass and drink it.  That is my fun fact of the day.
    Now, that's just crazy talk. 
    All this talk of bourbon made me thirsty,  here's my fun pour of the day Old Weller Antique 107 proof ;)

Brett
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me running out of Jack Daniel's is a sin. Emptying bottles is a habbit.  >:)
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."