Home Non Cigar Related

anyone here drink Sake?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

I cant figure out how to do that accent mark over the 'e' LOL

I just started drinking sake... I have on in my fridge right now that is fairly tasty. Its made by Momokawa (if I recall properly) an Oregon company. super smooth, I didn't get a whole lot of flavors I could identify... but tasty none the less.

Whats your experience been?

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes!

Momokawa is a very good lower shelf offering. 

There are so many types. So many styles! 

If if I can offer loose suggestion, it would be to seek out the sake that you do not serve warm. Junmai-shu is a good starting place, IMHO.

Now, that being said, some of the flavors are going to be nuanced, and the palate will need to be coached/developed. What one person likes, another may hate! Sound familiar? Yup, just like with cigars/wine/beer/malt(whiskey)

I have a couple colleagues who are Japanophiles, and who have graciously shared various rice wines with me. The sakes can vary widely! I had one a while back that was earthy and musty, it was very unique. Another that tasted like very cold water and then a lingering sweetness (I understand that one was a local brewery/hand delivered gift from Japanese vendors and I will never taste it again), another that was creamy, sweet, and tart (a Nigori--an unfiltered sake).

My best recommendation is to try a few, take notes, and enjoy the ride. Try to stay away from the sakes needing to be served warm, the sakes infused with fruit juice (unless it is your thing), and most of all, enjoy yourself!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I was planning on stealing away from the warm serve varieties. I like the idea of a cool refreshing sipper at the end of the day. The one I have is very much like a crisp water with some undertones. It's smell was initially a little off putting and smelled a lot like vodka (kinda sounds weird) but the taste of it was quite nice. Gonna have a few more glasses of it tonight. Lol

I was was at the local grocery store and the inkling hit me and I snagged this bottle. Been researching online a bit today to see what's out there. Tons of options! I'll try to track down the one you suggested and give that a shot. :) I have a few friends in Japan that I might have do some 'shopping' for me. Lol
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree. Warm is the way to go. When you drink warm sake, your whole head is instantly infused with the flavor. You can taste it in all your sinuses. Plus, when it's warm, that alcohol jumps right up in your brain, from ear to ear. Boom. Closest thing to drinking a smile.

I know they say the warming requirement when sake ceased to be brewed and stored in wooden kegs. If you like subtle fruity nuances, go ahead and do it cool; but not fridge cold. You lose the flavors. Me, I like the woody sake, which there's still plenty of that around. The label often tells you this one's good warm.

Think of it like beer. A crappy factory ersatz pilsner, full of chemicals, all watered down, and artificially carbonated, you have to drink it ice cold. Colder the better. Cause cold puts your taste buds to sleep. But a quality four-ingredient krausened ale from a brew pub is best cool, and your rich thick brew pub porter is savored room temp, temps where your taste buds are alive.

Warm rough woody sake. Yum.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive had great experiences with both, though I need to be either drinking and doing nothing else for Sake or need to be eating japanese food to properly enjoy it. Any other circumstances and it gets lost on me oddly enough.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I always thought it was used as a cleaning solvent....   :p
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    I disagree. Warm is the way to go. When you drink warm sake, your whole head is instantly infused with the flavor. You can taste it in all your sinuses. Plus, when it's warm, that alcohol jumps right up in your brain, from ear to ear. Boom. Closest thing to drinking a smile.
    This is spot on. I lived in Misawa, Japan for two years and drank my fair share. Warm for the win. 
    skweekz said:
    webmost said:
    This is spot on. I lived in Misawa, Japan for two years and drank my fair share. Warm for the win. 
    Very cool Skweekz, had no idea bet that was an incredible experience!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The sign of a good ale is that you enjoy drink it warm or at least not ice cold, the sign of a good pizza is that you can enjoy eating it cold.  Even a good, clean cup of coffee sweetens as it cools because your taste buds work best near body temperature.  Or something.  

Makes some sort of sense that a good sake is great warm or hot.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    So I had a few glasses of my sake last night... I was REALLY put off by it during the first glass. It tasted EXACTLY like swiss cheese. I don't get it. I had a fairly clean palate when I was drinking it and had sips of water between sips of sake. the second glass was much better. More of a white wine flavor profile than anything else. But I did get hits of the apple and melon that the back of the bottle said I would be getting. lol
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never got the appeal to swiss cheese.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Yakster said:
    I never got the appeal to swiss cheese.
    Agreed, my least favorite of the common cheeses. Sorry you got that experience Chris, not a great one but glad that glass number 2 treated you much better!

Brett
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Not in a while. When I do its warm.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I had a few glasses of my sake last night... I was REALLY put off by it during the first glass. It tasted EXACTLY like swiss cheese. I don't get it. I had a fairly clean palate when I was drinking it and had sips of water between sips of sake. the second glass was much better. More of a white wine flavor profile than anything else. But I did get hits of the apple and melon that the back of the bottle said I would be getting. lol
    Same bottle, and stored at room temps? I am guessing some slight oxidization occurred.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    jarubla said:
    Same bottle, and stored at room temps? I am guessing some slight oxidization occurred.

-Jay

Same bottle. Refrigerated as instructed on the bottle. capped in the fridge to avoid contamination. lol
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just once, a little too much... and I wound up holding on to the toilet bowl like a life preserver!
    So im gonna finish off my first bottle tonight. Its bee a decent bottle and after reading on how to 'taste' sake.... im noticing a lot more subtle flavors. Gonna pick up a different bottle later this week. :)
    Anyone have anything new worth noting here? I found a nice bottle recently at Safeway... I cant recall what it is. but im gonna get a second bottle and have that tonight. LOL
    It was Ty-Ku.... ive had their black bottle and the Platinum. Both really good!