Home Non Cigar Related

BBQ Sauce Thread

jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know we got a BBQ thread.....but let's talk sauces. 

What's good? 
I wanna up my sauce game but don't know where to start....
There's so many damn sauces at the supermarket, too many to choose from. 

Gimme suggestions.
What do y'all like?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Tagged:

Comments

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HEAD COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thats all you need.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife makes a BBQ sauce we call the sticky sauce, it is out of this world. My 8 year old on Friday when I asked where he wanted to eat, he said wherever we can go and he can get chicken with Sticky Sauce. So what did we do, we took a small jar of sticky sauce to a great family restaurant and provided our own (lol) and the little stinker licked his plate, lol. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I make my own every once in a while, it's a soda base.  I do also go through a lot of open pit.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for those of y'all that make your own sauce....how about sharing some recipes? 

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave up on making my own. And I've tried most of those available at the supermarket. So far, I haven't found any that I like better than Sweet Baby Ray's - particularly now that there's also a spicier version of it available. 

But, the taste of sauces is like the taste of cigars - everyone's gonna have their own favorite.....  :#
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be lazy and make your own!
    This thread is so wack. 
    Gibbs, you're banned

"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    jlmarta said:
    I gave up on making my own. And I've tried most of those available at the supermarket. So far, I haven't found any that I like better than Sweet Baby Ray's - particularly now that there's also a spicier version of it available. 

But, the taste of sauces is like the taste of cigars - everyone's gonna have their own favorite.....  :#
    @jlmarta ; i used to do sweet baby rays sauce all the time.  i don't buy it anymore though, it's just too sweet for me these days. 

but one of my friend's absolutely loves it and he can't get enough of sweet baby rays sauces.

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well....

I make my own sauces but for recipes...I wing it.  I have some basics but I make a traditional sweet tomato sauce based, a vinegar mustard base and an in your face hot bbq sauce.

However there are lots of commercially available sauces that are really good some of my favorites are Blue Hogs Original and Tennessee red mixed together, Golden Toad Colorado Red is awesome on pulled pork and their chipotle is really good for chicken.

I have a few more but their names are escaping me right now.  If you are curious let me know and I'll get them when I am home.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Just remembered, The Shed is the company and they have a Spicy Mustard as well as a Southern Spicy Sweet that is really good.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    thanks to all for giving me some brands to look into.  keep 'em coming.

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    If you are from the Midwest, home made bbq sauce has grape jelly in it. 
    Ketchup, jelly, mustard, worchester, Tabasco, maple syrup, smoked salt.
    Ends up sweet and spicey. Not gourmet, but sometimes you have to make due with what is in the fridge! 

Post edited by Guitarded on
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    I'm from the midwest and have never used grape jelly.  If I ever use something fruity it is fresh fruit.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Brad said!  Definitely never used jelly or jams in my sauce.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    crimony, you guys obviously aren't from the mid-west, upper midwest maybe, cheese and sauerkraut country but certainly not mid-west
    A little dirt never hurt
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I make my own when I can, but Salt Lick is really good if you can find it.  
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I usually start with store-bought stuff as a base and then add all sorts of additional ingredients....brown sugar or honey, soy sauce, curry powder, cumin, garlic, chilie powder, onion power, several kinds of salt,  and pepper. 
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We recently discovered this company.  We can buy local as they are produced here in IL, but they also ship.  What I also like about them is their lower carbohydrate count as they don't use high fructose corn syrup. 

http://www.ilovetwofatguys.com/

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    skydiverD said:
    We recently discovered this company.  We can buy local as they are produced here in IL, but they also ship.  What I also like about them is their lower carbohydrate count as they don't use high fructose corn syrup. 

http://www.ilovetwofatguys.com/

So, when you're slathering BBQ sauce onto a huge, fat-dripping hunka pork or beef you're worried about...carbohydrates?  :D
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot said:
    I usually start with store-bought stuff as a base and then add all sorts of additional ingredients....brown sugar or honey, soy sauce, curry powder, cumin, garlic, chilie powder, onion power, several kinds of salt,  and pepper. 
    I do somewhat the same.  I usually use Wicker's while cooking, it's a thin vinegar based sauce, I apply it liberally (Oh God! He said Liberal! Must be no good) each time I turn the meat.  Once the meat is  I start sniffing the bbq bottles in the 'fridge, since my wife buys whatever she has coupons for, and then adjusting with spices.  Once the meat is getting near done I switch over to whatever thicker concoction I've come up with.  I don't like too sweet, but times that I've made sauce completely from scratch there's always molasses involved.  I guess if I were a New Englander that would translate to brown sugar. ;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    SBR Original!

It's the best as far as widely available commercial sauces go, IMHO.

I save it for dipping my ribs in after I slather them in Dancing Pigs dry rub brought up from Memphis.  Best rub I've found outside of making my own (and I don't feel like I'm quite as good as this rub from The BBQ Shop in Midtown Memphis, yet.)
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Razorback rib sauce is another great one
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

We may all have different recipes and favorite brands and favor charcoal vs. propane grills or vice versa, but is there a general consensus that you should never put the actual barbecue sauce on the cooking meat until near the very end? 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Occasionally if cooking with gas I will sauce half-way through and let it char onto the meant. Vis a vis, pork chops.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    I actually rarely sauce during the cook unless its competition stuff.  At home I don't use sauce and let each person put on what they want or dip it in.  You have to be careful with many of the sauces and them burning because of all the sugars in most.  
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• harrisjlharrisjl Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Depends on what I'm cooking.  I usually make my own.  I'm in NC so if it's pork shoulder and I'm making pulled pork there are two styles of BBQ.  Lexington/Western which is made with a more tomato base or Eastern which is more vinegar/hot pepper based.  Both are good but I'm more of an Eastern guy.  If I'm grilling/smoking chicken/ribs I use a more tomato based sauce.  If I'm on a lazy don't feel like making it day I've been getting Sweet Baby Rays.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    harrisjl said:
    Depends on what I'm cooking.  I usually make my own.  I'm in NC so if it's pork shoulder and I'm making pulled pork there are two styles of BBQ.  Lexington/Western which is made with a more tomato base or Eastern which is more vinegar/hot pepper based.  Both are good but I'm more of an Eastern guy.  If I'm grilling/smoking chicken/ribs I use a more tomato based sauce.  If I'm on a lazy don't feel like making it day I've been getting Sweet Baby Rays.
    Glad someone else is into the SBR!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    thanks for all the suggestions everybody.....

if anybody needs me, you can find me in the bbq sauce aisle at the supermarket.  gonna check out these brands y'all recommended.

If you cant find something that was mentioned let me know.  A lot of mine come from a meat market/bbq store.  I can pick up whatever you would want.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!