Home Cigar 101

I really like Habano cigars

denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
So tell me, why do I like a habano so much more. I like some strong smokes but I don't always like the oily palate that comes along with the heavy maduro smokes. I do like some maduro smokes, like the Oliva G and Nub Maduro, but the ITC Super Fuerte is just too oily for me. It's like getting tar in my mouth. So with that said, what is it that makes a Habano different. Is it just the wrapper, or is there more to it? Thoughts, anyone?

Comments

• JZJZ Posts: 827
    I know that the Habano is the preferred wrapper for most Cubans and is also created elsewhere by using cuban seed. So maybe its because it started from good stock??
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    i had heard something like this, but didn't know for sure. so maybe i was a cuban in another life.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I agree Habanos are some of my favorites too.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Have any of you tried the new Alec Bradley Harvest 1997 Habano? I'm a fan of the AB stuff and have been very interested in this one.
    I haven't but I can add that to the list. Some of my favorites are Perdomo, Padilla, Nub. I had the Cain Habano last night and it was excellent. I would describe it as savory, not spicy. Very very good.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a pretty huge fan of the Padilla Habano. The Nub Habano is my favorite Nub. More Habanos I like: 5 Vegas CSII, 5 Vegas Miami, pretty much anything by Don Pepin Garcia as he mostly uses Habano wrappers, Gran Habano Siglo 3, Sherpa Cafe, La Cuna, La Vieja Habana, Oliva O, Oliveros XL, Padilla 1932, Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet. All of these are in my humidor. I never really realized how many Habano cigars I have.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    +1, and anything else that tastes good.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    PuroFreak:
    Have any of you tried the new Alec Bradley Harvest 1997 Habano? I'm a fan of the AB stuff and have been very interested in this one.
    I tried a pretty fresh one the other day and I thought it was pretty darn tasty. It burned great, had a nice medium spice and was an all round good smoke. I am looking forward to trying more after some rest :^)
    clearlysuspect:
    I'm a pretty huge fan of the Padilla Habano. The Nub Habano is my favorite Nub. More Habanos I like: 5 Vegas CSII, 5 Vegas Miami, pretty much anything by Don Pepin Garcia as he mostly uses Habano wrappers, Gran Habano Siglo 3, Sherpa Cafe, La Cuna, La Vieja Habana, Oliva O, Oliveros XL, Padilla 1932, Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet. All of these are in my humidor. I never really realized how many Habano cigars I have.
    thanks for the list of good habanos as i'm always searching out good smokes. the 5Vegas Miami is in the humi as well as the Oliva O's that Evan so kindly PIF'd me. I have some 5Vegas Classics and Man O War's as well. I guess I like the more traditional Cuban style.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Have you tried the new CAO La Traviata??? Great Habano...... a must try, also.

I think it's safe to say that Habanos pretty much encapsulate the finer things about cigar smoking.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    lilwing88:
    I think it's safe to say that Habanos pretty much encapsulate the finer things about cigar smoking.
    I think a well blended cigar, regardless of the wrapper, encapsulates the finer things about cigar smoking. I've had some nasty habano wrapped cigars that certainly did not heighten my enjoyment. My two cents anyhow. I enjoy a good habano as much as the next guy, but I also really enjoy cameroon, corojo, criollo, connecticut natural, connecticut maduro, pennsylvania maduro, sumatra...etc, it's as much about what's inside the cigar as it is about what wrapper finishes it,
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    lilwing88:
    I think a well blended cigar, regardless of the wrapper, encapsulates the finer things about cigar smoking. I've had some nasty habano wrapped cigars that certainly did not heighten my enjoyment. My two cents anyhow. I enjoy a good habano as much as the next guy, but I also really enjoy cameroon, corojo, criollo, connecticut natural, connecticut maduro, pennsylvania maduro, sumatra...etc, it's as much about what's inside the cigar as it is about what wrapper finishes it,
    Wasn't trying to downplay other smokes. I too enjoy maduros, camaroons, sumatras, criollos, etc........ My point was that habanos are "old school", in a sense. To me, anyways, whenever I smoke a GOOD habano, I imagine what smoking a cigar in 1950s Cuba must have been like........ I've had a few nasty Habanos as well. Hopefully, this clarifies my point.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Without putting any claim for which wrapper is the best or my favorite I just did a quick scan of my humi's and sure enough there are more Habano's then anything else. I like lot's of other wrappers too, but apparently Habano's are right up there LOL.
    lilwing88:
    j0z3r:
    lilwing88:
    Wasn't trying to downplay other smokes. I too enjoy maduros, camaroons, sumatras, criollos, etc........ My point was that habanos are "old school", in a sense. To me, anyways, whenever I smoke a GOOD habano, I imagine what smoking a cigar in 1950s Cuba must have been like........ I've had a few nasty Habanos as well. Hopefully, this clarifies my point.
    My thoughts exactly, back in the day in Cuba, that's what they smoked. Kinda going back to the roots of it all if you will. I like the savory flavor, even though they can dry out the palate a little. I like a good maduro as well but some get so oily that it's not what i like to smoke
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    I like the savory flavor, even though they can dry out the palate a little.
    So, I think you just detailed what I've been trying to figure out about Habanos and why I didn't particularly like them. I couldn't quite place it, but this 'drying' of the palate is exactly what the problem I've had with habanos I think. Maybe I'll just have to step up my drinking when smoking a habano - I typically have an adult beverage with my sticks, but maybe I'll have water with future habanos to sip more often.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Hays:
    dennisking:
    So, I think you just detailed what I've been trying to figure out about Habanos and why I didn't particularly like them. I couldn't quite place it, but this 'drying' of the palate is exactly what the problem I've had with habanos I think. Maybe I'll just have to step up my drinking when smoking a habano - I typically have an adult beverage with my sticks, but maybe I'll have water with future habanos to sip more often.
    PBR works pretty well as does Miller Lite. If you can get any Lost Coast Brewery stuff in Sactown try a Habano with 8 Ball stout
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    Hays:
    dennisking:
    PBR works pretty well as does Miller Lite. If you can get any Lost Coast Brewery stuff in Sactown try a Habano with 8 Ball stout
    Sounds pretty good, and I tend to like stouts. Thanks for the recommendation!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Also try Spaten Optimator with a Maduro, if you can find the Spaten. I had some with a Nub Maduro and it was phenomenal
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    dennisking:
    Also try Spaten Optimator with a Maduro, if you can find the Spaten. I had some with a Nub Maduro and it was phenomenal
    That beer is pretty hard to find, but I just might not know where to look. I have limited experience with Spaten brews, but I have loved all of them so far. I do not normaly like pale beers but the Spaten I had (I can't remember which one it was) was delicious. I'm guessing with a name like 'Optimator' this is not a light beer though. I might have to look harder for it...
  • Joel_H.Joel_H. Posts: 101
    Another habano fan here, i have noticed many of the characteristics that have been mentioned here as well.
    ejenne87:
    dennisking:
    That beer is pretty hard to find, but I just might not know where to look. I have limited experience with Spaten brews, but I have loved all of them so far. I do not normaly like pale beers but the Spaten I had (I can't remember which one it was) was delicious. I'm guessing with a name like 'Optimator' this is not a light beer though. I might have to look harder for it...
    yeah, optimator is brown, malty, and has 8.2% alcohol. it's really really good. try a hippy market or something like that.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    You should be able to get Spaten Optimator at BevMo if you have one nearby. I always find it there or maybe any european/german specialty stores
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    shamrocked:
    You should be able to get Spaten Optimator at BevMo if you have one nearby. I always find it there or maybe any european/german specialty stores
    I will check out some of the European groceries when I get home, good tip. And I just noticed that you live in San Diego and I am infinately jelous... Stone is my favorite brewery and I can't wait to get one of there beers when I get home
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    yea I am at Stone at least once a week ... I actually work up in escondido and Stone is hands down my favorite along with Ballast Point
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    dennisking:
    eh, in portland it's easy. I think you nailed it for me too, habano's just aren't all that interesting to me personally. If they were say, cheaper and in my local shop I might pick a few up but for the price, and what you get I'll pass. I've had a few that were considered the best (though I'm sure I would find one I like), but when it comes down to it, I have plenty of other Dominican's I like more.
  • I thought that Corojo, Criollo, and Habano were all basically the same, just different names?
    phobicsquirrel:
    ejenne87:
    dennisking:
    eh, in portland it's easy. I think you nailed it for me too, habano's just aren't all that interesting to me personally. If they were say, cheaper and in my local shop I might pick a few up but for the price, and what you get I'll pass. I've had a few that were considered the best (though I'm sure I would find one I like), but when it comes down to it, I have plenty of other Dominican's I like more.
    See, this is where tastes differ so much in cigars. I tend to steer away from Domincan wrappers. I guess that's why they make em in more than one country, more than one size and shape, and more than one flavor. No two tongues are the same.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    phobicsquirrel:
    ejenne87:
    dennisking:
    See, this is where tastes differ so much in cigars. I tend to steer away from Domincan wrappers. I guess that's why they make em in more than one country, more than one size and shape, and more than one flavor. No two tongues are the same.
    That's a valid point, one I have made on several occasions. If we all had the same tastes/preferences in cigars then there would be no options in the market. I don't think I've ever had a cigar with a Dominican wrapper, wrapper leaf is very hard to grow and have success with in the DR, so not many cigars have that...which ones have you had? I know there are a few...
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    clearlysuspect:
    phobicsquirrel:
    ejenne87:
    dennisking:
    That's a valid point, one I have made on several occasions. If we all had the same tastes/preferences in cigars then there would be no options in the market. I don't think I've ever had a cigar with a Dominican wrapper, wrapper leaf is very hard to grow and have success with in the DR, so not many cigars have that...which ones have you had? I know there are a few...
    I was talking about non cuban more or less. Not sure if your mis understanding me or I just don't know what I'm talking about.. lol
    j0z3r:
    clearlysuspect:
    phobicsquirrel:
    ejenne87:
    dennisking:
    You know Joe, I'm not really sure which ones I've had. I don't really document my smokes like some of you guys do. I just smoke em and try to remember if I liked it, didn't like it, or really liked it. I wish I had some cigars to throw out there for you. I do remember having a few advertised as Domincans I remember it being in the "didn't like it" catagory. Let me do some digging through my wrappers, I might be able to find an example for you.