Home Non Cigar Related

Phone scams

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today, I get a phone call on my cell.

"Hello, this is Henry at so & so credit card.
We have had some suspicious activity on your credit card and need to verify your purchases.
Can I have your social security number for verification purposes?"

Henry, let me check with my wife, as she handles all that stuff. And don't you already have the account number and all? After all, you called me about the account activity.

"Well sir, if you can give me your social security number to verify this is your account , I can check and let you know what purchases."

You know Henry, let me get a call back number and my wife can deal with it.

"Sir, we can handle this right now over the phone."

Well Henry, you do realize I don't even have one of those credit cards? Scamming people to get their social security numbers is the lowest form of life. 

"Click"

ROFL!
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw a news story here where individuals are getting fake calls demanding ransom for their kidnapped children; they even said you could here a little girl screaming on the other end.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait, i'm not supposed to give these people my SS #, address, blood type, and a urine sample????

.....crap

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These scammers have gotten really bad lately.  They prey on the ill informed and elderly.  Everything from Microsoft to the irs calling and right now you must blah blah blah.  when not busy I do my best to keep them on the line for as long as I can. Longer they talk to me the longer they do not talk to some elderly person that does not understand
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great story, @0patience , I have a friend out west who told me a similar story, recently.  He said he messed with the guy so long the guy finally started screaming at him and hung up!  Hilarious.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bearswatter called me just now asking whether we have a problem with the IRS. Should we send money? Scam.

Couple years ago, we got a call purporting to be from a public defender in Las Vegas, saying grandson Wade went to Vegas for a bachelor party, got arrested for drunk driving on the way back, is in jail, needs bail, asked the PD to call us. Says Wade's in the worst jail in the state, needs to get out immediately. Lawyer's going to put him on the line but he might sound funny cause he's already been beat up by other inmates. Supposed grandson mumbles to "Grandma" that he's alright but not for long locked up with that crowd. Bearswatter calls me asking "Should I send money?" "That's not Wade" I say. "How do you know?" "They all call you Nana; not Grandma." I advise her to call Wade's wife who reports he's at work. Scam.

Gal who owns this business, her Dad's old and dotty. He falls for everything from psychics to Microsuck support. Sends them all his money. 
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My call this morning was from a "private number". 
    A recorded message with an Indian accent.
    This is the US treasury dept. blah blah blah
    press 1 to speak to an attorney....1
    Indian woman said US treasury, you need a lawyer.
    I asked her what presidents face in on a 50 dollar bill?
    Click. 
    Really? I was just getting started!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Got one today asking for me to invest $250. and they Guarantee I would be a millionaire in 3 months. If it sounds to good to be true! They only wanted my banking information!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one they tried to sting me with - first a woman called asking to talk to my wife by name. I told her my wife was unavailable at the moment and offered to take a message. Woman said she'd call back later. 

Few hours later some guy calls asking to speak to my wife -  again by name. He didn't speak very well nor very smoothly like you'd expect a salesperson to do but he said he wanted to offer my wife a reduced rate on the subscription to a magazine she likes. 

I knew she likes the magazine so I listened to his pitch. It sounded okay so I agreed to renew it for the reduced rate. The guy said "Great. Here's my supervisor who will complete the order". 

Now the smooth talker comes on the line, makes a little small talk, and asks for my credit card number. I told him his timing was extremely bad, that I was standing in line at the pharmacy and mumble, mumble, and I hung up. It was easier than telling him to send us a bill and I didn't have to talk him out of anything. 

The good Lord watches out for fools like me.....  B)

They somehow got hold of a magazine with my wife's name and address on the label and built their sting around that. Don't fall for a similar scam...   
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    This one always makes me laugh.

"You have just won $50,000!
    All we need you to do is deposit a small sum of $500 to open an account at our bank, so we can then transfer the money to your account."

Sounds legit.
     :# 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Today, I get a call from "Vehicle Processing Center" and that my vehicle is almost out of warranty and they would like to set up an extended warranty for me.
    All they need is a credit card and I'd have 30 days to review the contract and cancell if I didn't find it useful.

So I ask, "which vehicle is this for?"
    Your vehicle.
    "Ok, which vehicle, the car?"
    Yes, the car.

"Ok, what extended warranty company is this?"
    Vehicle Processing Center
    "Never heard of them." 
    Well, not everyone knows all the warranty companies.
    "ok, but since you said it's for my car and I don't own any cars, I own trucks and the warranty has been up for years, you slipped."
    Click.

Awe damn, I don't think they liked me none.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Image result for this is peggy commercial
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw on the news about a new scam. They say anything to get you to say the word YES.  It gets spliced into giving permission to charge to your phone bill or something.

Hello, is this Mr. xyz?  Can you hear me?  Are you there?

Never say yes even to acknowledge you are who you are.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    Saw on the news about a new scam. They say anything to get you to say the word YES.  It gets spliced into giving permission to charge to your phone bill or something.

I always answer with "what do you want". 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Company Name" This is Wayne....
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you guy's haven't seen this already, it's pretty ingenious & funny.....

A guy set-up "Lenny" ...... "Lenny is a hilarious set of very convincing recordings designed to fool telemarketers into thinking they've called a real person."

For those of you more technically inclined, you can forward spam numbers to Lenny from your phone.  Instructions here: https://toao.net/595-lenny

https://youtu.be/vWrkDOt_IfM

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Just answer the phone, CIA headquarters. Bet they hang up right away.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭

Back when I was a kid and we recognize a telemarketer or scammer on the caller ID, my brother and I would both pick up the two house phone at the same time so that it only sounded like one person answered.  I'd play the role of interested consumer asking them questions and overall just leading them on.  Occasionally, my brother would break in while they were talking a mumble out some for of vulgarity or another.  They'd pause, perhaps ask if I said something to which I would always say "I didn't say anything, please continue" or "I'm sorry. I just sneezed."

We'd mess with these people for hours until they'd just hang up.

Got 2 calls the last couple days.

one on my work phone.
    It was the "IRS" and I'm behind on my taxes and they've issued a warrant if I don't send them a prepaid card that can be bought at Walgreens.
    Oh my, we can't have that. What shall I do?
    When I asked if I can just send them a check, they told me I needed to get this done right away.
    So I asked them if they were calling the correct person. They said yes. I then asked how they got the number, they said they pull records of people and they can get their personal cell phone numbers.
    I then asked what the name is, they told me that they need my name to verify that they are talking to the person who they are looking for. (Oh, they are good.)
    So then I told them that if they are after the person who's phone this is, they are gonna need a really big warrant, cause the phone belongs to the State of Oregon.
    Click. 
    Oh, but I was having fun with this.

Earlier I got a call on my cell phone telling me it was my mortgage company and that I only made a partial payment on my mortgage and I needed to make up the payment, because they will foreclose immediately if I don't get the $324 caught up immediately.
    Oh, that sounds serious. How do I take care of this?
    They told me they could take my credit card number or I could get a prepaid card from Walgreens or Walmart (I see a pattern).
    Oh my, I don't have a Walgreens or Walmart anywhere near and I don't have a credit card. 
    Well, now they tell me I could go to a store and get a Western Union and wire the money.
    Oh no, we don't have one of those either. I'll have to go see my caretaker and see what to do. What number do I call you back?

Then he asked if I was retarded. 
    I told him, listen you little puke, I haven't had a mortgage in 5 years and you're the idiot that is trying to scam people. Try and tell me I owe money on my house, that I owe nothing on? 
    Click.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    This is funny as hell.

https://youtu.be/r7jBegRJtXI

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally get a phone recording device and no one calls.........
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:

Got one yesterday, "Is this Randy"?.... Who wants to know....click
    A little dirt never hurt